The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 504

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IanD
    The Evans has an XLR line out which I have used successfully in recording studios. I have also used it in the same way in a live show situation. Seems to work well with a good quality overdrive. I can't comment on amps like the Jones & Henriksen as I haven't tried them (but i imagine they sound very, very good).
    Evans are great amps, but pricey and (for me anyhowdy) hard to find. How did you find one in Oz?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am skeptical of features like XLR line outs --my admittedly limited experience suggests that they are not the best thought-out features on guitar amps, and more properly belong in the 'bells and whistles' category. This is based upon my experience in recording and [praying for] a decent signal and a usable track. Recording places such things under a microscope, but live PA sound also has its requirements. I would think it is better to look for the killer sounding amp, and then come up with whatever workaround necessary to get that sound to the house.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Evans are great amps, but pricey and (for me anyhowdy) hard to find. How did you find one in Oz?
    BDLH, I had to import it from the US. Been reading many good reports on the Evans and noticed their Oz distributor was almost a neighbour of mine. I didn't pay too much more than the price in the US but because the Australian $ was so bloody terrible at the time I guess in real terms I paid nearly double. Oh well, what we do for our love of guitar music

User Info Menu

I really like the Fender Super Champ. Great sounding, cheap tube amp.

User Info Menu

I've played a number of Polytone amps, Fender amps and Carvin amps. More recently, I acquired an Ibanez Promethean Combo. This is HANDS DOWN the best bass/guitar amp that I have ever owned. It is 28 lbs with the 10" combo, the head is detachable, it pushes 500 watts when an extension cab is added and it doubles PERFECTLY as a bass or guitar amp. It's truly a remarkable piece of equipment. I can't imagine finding a better combination at any price.

User Info Menu

I had some problems with my Tomkat but they were fixed.

I love this amp. Just upgraded to a Phatkat.

Perfect jazz tone (click the tube button to get an edge to the sound), enough clean volume for any gig and easy to carry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliveR
    I had some problems with my Tomkat but they were fixed.

I love this amp. Just upgraded to a Phatkat.

Perfect jazz tone (click the tube button to get an edge to the sound), enough clean volume for any gig and easy to carry.
    Have you taken a look at the new TomKat (with the tweeter and 5 band EQ)?

User Info Menu

I've had this amp for a week and can comfortably leave my "The Twin" behind. I have to 40XL also but the Deluxe CMOS that is provided on the 80XL has given me a comfortable feel with my Gibson 345, 125 and Hagstrom HJ-60 on a jazz gig. Not missing the tube sound at all. I've tried a few amps and this 35 lb amp has won me over. The last couple nights I used my ES-335s and even my Strat without a lot of frustrations. Those have GK pickups.

This one is worth the try! Especially for the $350 I paid for it.

RF

User Info Menu

Not sure if there is a perfect amp out there, as there is a perfect guitar either.
    I think the "jazz sound" is a personal thing. I've found that regardless of the guitar/amp combination I use, I'm always focusing on a certain sound.
    I have a friend who has an old Gibson jazz box. When we jam, I sometimes use my 65 Tele, with the highs rolled off. He is always asking me how I get "that" sound? It's not the guitar making that sound, it is me.
    I often see questions posted on other guitar web sites such as "What kind of pickups will let me sound like Jeff Beck, or Kenny Burrell. The same applies to amp settings.
    No two people have the same signature and that applies to music also.
    Remember to "Keep Your Pick On The Ice"

User Info Menu

for straight ahead playing on hand-carved archtops, what about these choices?:

1. Fender twin - hand wired version, or
    2. Mesa Boogie Lone Star, or
    3. AI head with Buscarino Chameleon speaker.

The first two are expensive, heavy tube amps. The latter is an expensive versatille non-tube set up that can also accomodate acoustic and nylon string guitars (obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    for straight ahead playing on hand-carved archtops, what about these choices?:

1. Fender twin - hand wired version, or
    2. Mesa Boogie Lone Star, or
    3. AI head with Buscarino Chameleon speaker.
    4. ZT Lunchbox

I am pairing it with my solid wood, hand carved archtop and the sound is pure, rich and focused. Plenty of lows, mids and highs.

I've had the henriksen jazz amp, polytone mega brute, cubes micro, 15, 30 & 60 and i can say that the little lunchbox sounds great for jazz

User Info Menu

The sound is in each individuals mind! That is the real answer. I strive to sound like I want to sound on stage or in smaller settings. I also use synths to break the monotony. YOU decide how you want to sound. Admire others but get the sound in your head. I don't consider myself the greatest but if you go to youtube and do a search for rwfthesr you can hear samples of what I sometimes do.

User Info Menu

I love my Twin but the Roland 80XL is 50 lbs lighter

User Info Menu

I just have to plug my Blackface '65 Twin Reverb Reissue again. I love the tone of that amp a little bit more every time I play it....and it took me a while to truly appreciate it. If I didn't hang on to that thing I'd be sincerely upset.

That being said, you can find a few small boutique builders or a shop like Ceriatone amps that will make you handwired, point to point clones of it for about the same price as the reissue.

Also, don't be afraid to change out the speaker. It can make a huge difference on your tone (more than the tubes, in my opinion....though I did throw in some JJ6L6 GC's. )

User Info Menu

I have The Twin and any guitar I plug into it has the sound that I like. I'll never get rid of it but at this point in life I carry something lighter

User Info Menu

The 3 best (out of about 25) I've owned:
    1) '68 Silverface non-Master Volume Fender Twin Reverb with EV SRO speakers - weighed 85 lbs.
    2) '94 Rivera R55-12 with Weber California Speaker - 47 lbs.
    3) '09 Henriksen JazzAmp 112 - 32 lbs.

User Info Menu

for tube amps - nobody likes the mesa boogie lone star? maybe not enough have tried it?

User Info Menu

I use a Lone Star Special and it's great, 5-15-30 watts with one 12". The 5 watt setting is so good it's made me wish they just made a 5 watt (or a 1-3-5).

User Info Menu

I like my Lindy Fralin amp for electric blues, country or for the sorta jazzy stuff I do, as much, or possibly more than my DR or tweed deluxe clone. For an 'acoustic' sound, I use an Aphex Xciter as a preamp or go direct into the pa. I've got a micro-cube and hate it!

User Info Menu

My ultimate Jazz amp is my Fender Twin Reverb Reissue. It is super clean and only breaks up at very high volume which I don't use. I do use a little reverb and sometimes "vibrato" to help fill the room up. Other than that I use my guitars and me.

The twin does well for country, rock, blues or anything else for that matter.

User Info Menu

Any suggestions for nylon string acoustic/electric amplification?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    From all the amplifiers that I have owned, I like my Roland Jazz Chorus-120 the most. It has a beautiful reverb and very usable chorus. The distortion sucks big time though.
    very hissy. That's a deal breaker IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HotClubBrampton
    4. ZT Lunchbox

I am pairing it with my solid wood, hand carved archtop and the sound is pure, rich and focused. Plenty of lows, mids and highs.

I've had the henriksen jazz amp, polytone mega brute, cubes micro, 15, 30 & 60 and i can say that the little lunchbox sounds great for jazz
    don't like the lunchbox at all. Shrill sounding and very little headroom. About as loud as a fender princeton reverb

User Info Menu

i've been using 3 different amps.

• Gries 35 112 - Extremely loud 35 watts. I've used it for lots of playing situations. it's got enough headroom for most small group stuff. Not quite enough for organ trio or loud horns.
    • Henriksen jazzamp - Great amp but a little dark sounding. I use a barber barbeq with mine to give it some tube brightness
    • Markbass LMII bass amp. This amp weighs 5 or 6lbs and has over 500 watts. Ridiculous amounts of volume. I use the barber with it to give it more guitaristic tone controls. Raezer's edge or openback 112
    I'd like to try the Evans someday...

User Info Menu

I have a couple of Evans...a newer 5lb digital head and an older AE100 with a 12" deltalite speaker. These amps have unusual tone controls, including one called depth which fattens the top E string right up - a really good idea. They are not ''intuitive'' controls, but once you get the hang of them anything else seems quite limited and inflexible. Evans amps sound great with anything from an archtop to a tele. Funnily enough the digital head is the warmer of the two. I think they are great, although they are expensive and difficult to service outside the US. However I know some people find the evans tone controls difficult - it's not a ''plug straight in'' amp like the (eg) jazzamp.