The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

In case folks want to know. I contacted Stan yesterday looking for one of his RS 10 ER cabinets and he has informed me that he has retired the business. I hate losing suppliers for us jazz guitar guys - it's such a small community as it is.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's really a shame. A high quality no frills speaker that does what it is supposed to do.

User Info Menu

Huge bummer. I really dig my RS-8. Hate to see people who make excellent products at good prices need to close up shop.

User Info Menu

I went looking for them a couple weeks ago for a cabinet and kept running into dead ends. A shame for Jazz community. I wonder why none of the Asian gear makers haven't reverse engineered the Jazz cabinets and sold them, is the market really that small?

User Info Menu

Unfortunate.

I have seen a company called Ear Candy Cabs start making cabs geared jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Unfortunate.

I have seen a company called Ear Candy Cabs start making cabs geared jazz guitar.
    I emailed them about their ported cab and never got a reply.

User Info Menu

I have seen a company called Ear Candy Cabs start making cabs geared jazz guitar.[/QUOTE]

I had an Earcandy Sovereign before which I believe is recommended for jazz. It was a very deep cabinet and not easy to transport.

I liked the design idea of Redstone - portable, high power handling, rugged, flip up piece on the bottom of the cab to tilt it back. Raezers Edge seems to be similar in many ways.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. I have a Redstone 10" with the tweeter - very nice speaker cabinet. Works wonderfully with both my AI and Mambo head. It was not expensive. It will likely outlast me.

A while ago I read about the actual Redstone production figures - reflecting how many people actually ordered speakers from Stan. It was apalling. RE cabinets are also out of business now. Both has had a lot of positive response here - but Stan can't live from fresh air and sea water alone. I can't blame him getting on with his life now.

If someone is making a good product, we ought to support them.
    Last edited by oldane; 09-09-2014 at 03:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Well that stinks. I don't understand how a business, no matter how small, isn't on top of every email. Email is not challenging to respond to nor are emails all that time consuming. They/he has a lot listed on reverb.com, for example: https://reverb.com/item/121403-earca...front-and-back

User Info Menu

Well that stinks. I don't understand how a business, no matter how small, isn't on top of every email. Email is not challenging to respond to nor are emails all that time consuming. They/he has a lot listed on reverb.com, for example: https://reverb.com/item/121403-earca...front-and-back
    Well, Stan's decided to get out of business, so he'll clear his inventory and go on with his life. Still can't blame him. I can only say that I E-mailed him about a problem long after I bought my cabinet from him, and long after the warranty expired. He was very helpful solving the problem. It was the tweeter going bad. I could have returned the whole cabinet, but given the shipping costs, shipping it across the pond from Europe wasn't an option. Getting a new tweeter was cheap and installing it took 5 minutes. Stan guided me all the way and I have nothing but good to say about him.
    Last edited by oldane; 09-09-2014 at 03:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Well, Stan's decided to get out of business, so he'll clear his inventory and go on with his life. Still can't blame him. I can only say that I E-mailed him about a problem long after I bought my cabinet from him, and long after the warranty expired. He was very helpful solving the problem. It was the tweeter going bad. I could have returned the whole cabinet, but given the shipping costs, shipping it across the pond from Europe wasn't an option. Getting a new tweeter was cheap and installing it took 5 minutes. Stan guided me all the way and I have nothing but good to say about him.
    Docbop and I were speaking of EarCandy Cabs, not Redstone. You'll see our conversation earlier in the thread. Sorry to get off topic.

User Info Menu

Hate to see Redstone go. Really glad I was able to get a RS110ER. It's very well made, immensely portable, and designed for the rigors of hauling around. Oddly, while it does have a bass speaker installed, with the low volume cabinet it still works surprisingly well for bass.
    Last edited by Spook410; 09-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Docbop and I were speaking of EarCandy Cabs, not Redstone. You'll see our conversation earlier in the thread. Sorry to get off topic.
    Apologize - missed that.

User Info Menu

Tim (owner) is pretty responsive from the Reverb.com page. I have a cool 2x8 cab from him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Tim (owner) is pretty responsive from the Reverb.com page. I have a cool 2x8 cab from him.
    How would you compare it sound wise with a RS or and RE?

User Info Menu

How would you compare it sound wise with a RS or and RE?
    Haven't compared to RS; FWIW, I sold my RE Stealth-12 when I bought an EarCandy "Sovereign" 1x12 years ago.

If you want a small cab, I'd buy an unloaded EC 2x8 and put whatever speakers you like in it (i.e., Eminence Alpha for high watts, WGS for lower watts, etc.). I also have, and love, a J Design 2x8 (custom, not on his web site).
    Last edited by marcwhy; 09-10-2014 at 07:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. I have a Redstone 10" with the tweeter - very nice speaker cabinet. Works wonderfully with both my AI and Mambo head. It was not expensive. It will likely outlast me.

A while ago I read about the actual Redstone production figures - reflecting how many people actually ordered speakers from Stan. It was apalling. RE cabinets are also out of business now. Both has had a lot of positive response here - but Stan can't live from fresh air and sea water alone. I can't blame him getting on with his life now.

If someone is making a good product, we ought to support them.

Wait, what, Raezer's Edge (RE) are out of business? are you sure?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oriv
    Wait, what, Raezer's Edge (RE) are out of business? are you sure?
    I figured they were, but now you make me uncertain. RE was taken over by Jeff Hale a couple of years ago, and Jeff Hale also went out of business - quite abruptly - some time ago. I just checked and the RE website is still up - but so it Redstone's website. Maybe some other forum members know for sure? Foulds Music (UK) has been stocking them, so they likely also know.

User Info Menu

I figured they were, but now you make me uncertain. RE was taken over by Jeff Hale a couple of years ago, and Jeff Hale also went out of business - quite abruptly - some time ago. I just checked and the RE website is still up - but so it Redstone's website. Maybe some other forum members know for sure? Foulds Music (UK) has been stocking them, so they likely also know.
    Jeff Hale sold to Geoff Felsher, the man who actually ran the shop last year.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 09-10-2014 at 09:58 AM.

User Info Menu

The Redstone homepage is removed, it's just the other pages that are still there. I hope Raezers Edge are still going, there products are still advertised at Sound Island for instance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Jeff Hale sold to Geoff Felsher, the man who actually ran the shop last year.
    OK, I stand corrected.

User Info Menu

>is the jazz cab market that small?

word is around 200 Redstone cabs were sold in total over the years, so, yes, small.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tucson matt

word is around 200 Redstone cabs were sold in total over the years, so, yes, small.
    So some day they might be very valuable?

User Info Menu

In my dealings with Stan he was a gentleman and seemed genuinely concerned about his customers being happy. Sorry to hear he's closed up shop and I wish him every success in whatever his next venture might be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tucson matt

That is small maybe he could sell his designs to someone and recoup some of his R&D costs.