The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 78

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried a Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro? I keep searching for some reviews, but have found none that really review this guitar like those read on this forum. You guys do an outstanding job! The youtube videos don't really help, either.

Who might be ready to step up to the plate and give an in-depth analysis of playability? I'm particularly interested in the feel of the wider neck, fit & finish, comfort, tone (acoustically as well as plugged in) and general overall concept of the instrument.

I currently have 2 Peerless guitars - a Monarch 16 and a Conti, both of which I truly enjoy playing, but this one really intrigues me.

Unfortunately, I don't live close enough to a dealer and will have to order one. A video would be nice, but not necessary - and the analysis from a fingerpicking standpoint would be exceptional!

I guess I'm really "gassing " on this beauty(IMHO) - and would just like an honest review.

Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro-peerless-martin-taylor-maestro-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hi Chip,

I've got a Peerless Maestro since March 2012 and I'm very happy with it. I've owned a Peerless Monarch (17") which I sold because when sitting I've found the guitar too big and too deep to be comfortable. After that I was determined that my next guitar should be a small guitar and therefore I bought the Peerless Maestro (15") which is very comfortable to hold.

Mind you that my message here about the Maestro may be biased because I'm a student of the Martin Taylor Guitar Academy and a big fan of the man.

Well what do I think of the Peerless Maestro?

Playability:
    The smaller body is great when sitting with the guitar. The neck is not as small as the neck of a Taylor guitar, but is not uncomfortable and playing quick licks is absolutely possible with this neck. The neck is wide enough to play fingerstyle a la Martin Taylor and is never 'sticky'. I think that the guitars playability is really very good. I've adjusted the action a little bit by lowering the bridge.

Sound:
    I've put Elixir round wound strings on it. I've tried the guitar with flatwounds but didn't like the acoustic tone. Most of the time when practising I play unamplified. In a way the Maestro is more of an acoustic guitar than an electric guitar. The acoustic tone is great, it's very mellow and has a nice clear tone due to its carved top. It's not very loud but loud enough to enjoy the sound for yourself. Amplified I try to find a good mix between the acoustic tone and the electrified tone. The guitar has no tonecontrol so you've got to adjust the tone on your amp. Mine is a Roland 40 Cube and I play clean with a little reverb. Amplified you can stil hear it's an acoustic archtop guitar with a sweet, mellow and wooden tone. When you are familiair with the Martin Taylor sound you'll know what I mean.

The looks:
    I thinks this guitar is a joy to listen to and to watch. The top and small pickguard go very well together and I love the ebony fingerboard with it's small inlay at the 12th fret. Even the tuninggear is very nice and very good btw. The guitar stays in tune very well and the tuningknobs are very responsive when tuning the guitar. The guitar's finish is impeccable!

What I don't like:
    It's a pity that the back and sides of the guitar are dark. I would have liked it when the back and sides were flamed maple or so. Now I think the contrast between the light top and the dark back and sides is too big.

Conclusion:
    When you want a small archtop guitar that is perfect for playing fingerstyle a la Martin Taylor you can't go wrong with this guitar. If you are playing amplified most of the time tonewise there isn't much difference between the Maestro and the Virtuose. When you think the acoustic tone is important (I know I do), go for the Maestro.

Link to a Peerless Virtuoso review , don't forget to read the interview with Martin Taylor and the end of the PDF file. The man talks about what he thinks of the Maestro and Virtuose and how and why they are 'invented'.
    Last edited by Dutch Courage; 06-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Hi Dutch Courage,

Thanks so much for the review ! I too really rely on the acoustic sound of the instrument, and seldom plug in. The Peerless 16 that I play is a great guitar, but there is a soundpost placed between the bridge and back, I believe, to cut down on feedback, but unfortunately, cuts back on the acoustic sound, in my opinion. They say the soundpost can be removed, but I live in the boondocks where no one has even heard of a luthier (let alone what he can do) and I dare not try to remove it myself ! Besides, the "16" would be the one I'd gig with. The soundpost might come in handy in an amplified situation.

I guess my main concern is the difference between the neck "contours" of the "16" and the Maestro. Did you find a noticeable difference between the Monarch 17 and the neck of the Maestro ? I guess I belabor this question, but I have small hands and need some reassurance before I "pull the trigger" that I'll be able to handle the wider neck.

Living in southwestern Pa. doesn't get me close enough to Summit, New Jersey for a hands-on experience !

I've been really impressed with both Peerless guitars that I own - I agree that the fit & finish is outstanding. This will probably be my last purchase (LOL - never say never !) and I just want to get it right. Thanks again for a great review !

Chip

User Info Menu

It's likely great for someone desiring a small boxed archtop, but I'm not a fan of 16" archtops due to their inherent brightness, compared to 17" and 18" archtops...a 15" archtop doesn't move me, and I'm a big fan of Peerless archtops!

Hi 2bornot2bop,

I have an L-5 that I've played since '76.....I finally came to the realization that it's just too big ! (Loved it so much, I was in denial for all those years - accidentally stood in front of a mirror and realized that box on a 5'4" frame was a tad overwhelming). So I started looking for an alternative for a more comfortable player.....along came the Monarch 16....VERY comfortable to play - not only smaller lower bout, but smaller depth. Also discovered that several grips I couldn't handle with the L-5 became much easier - sort of opened up a new world. I also own a Conti, and play it in regular rotation with the 16,but as nice as the neck feels, the neck is too long and causes my left hand/wrist to cramp after about 30 minutes of playing. It's really very nice and sounds great because of the spruce top - so maybe a 15" would work better.......have not pulled the trigger yet, though.

One thing for sure - I am accruing a few guitars in my search...............Chip

# Chip,

The neck of the Monarch is more clubby than the neck of the Maestro and I didn't really like the neck of the Monarch. The Maestro's neck works much better for me. I have small hands and rather short fingers (my left middle finger is shorter than 3 inches) and I've no problem fretting chords or putting my thumb over the low E-string.

Martin Taylor explains about the neck:
    "The neck dimensions we used (for the first Virtuoso / Maestro prototypes) were the same as the Monarch but for some reason it just didn't feel right on these guitars. So I got together with a few guitar players and got them to play the guitars and asked them what they thought of the neck. Everyone's agreed that we should change the width so that it is slightly wider and change the contour too. (...) So we took the contour pretty much from one of the acoustic flat tops in the Peerless range and it felt comfortable."

User Info Menu

Wow, I find those comments fascinating, for I find the Monarch's neck profile to be as comfortable to play as any archtop I've owned. But then I'm 6' 3...there truly is no one size fits all for archtop necks.

Wow, Dutch Courage,

I think you just hit the proverbial nail on the head with your description of the neck/contour! The trigger is beginning to tighten.....that quote from Martin is especially interesting. Since I have a Monarch and play it with great satisfaction, the Maestro's neck may well be spot on for me. (Incidentally, I measured my middle finger at 3 1/4") So maybe I have nothing to fear at all !

Thanks to all who participated - I have a funny feeling I'll be writing a review of the Maestro in a very short time for anyone else that may be interested in this beauty !

Regards,

Chip

User Info Menu

My guitar teacher is friends with one of Martin's trusted tech's here in the States and had the opportunity to meet with and have dinner with Martin a couple of months back. He told me the guitar is truly quite lovely, and that Martin really enjoys it. It plays quite easy and is really comfortable. He went as far as saying that rather than me saving up a great deal of money in the future for a custom build, to really give the Maestro a consideration.

Not much of a help here I'm afraid, but this guitar is something that I am strongly considering in the future.

Just tried to pull the trigger this afternoon at Guitars & Jazz on the Maestro. If anyone else is gassing, we've got a 4 month wait. According to Lou, there were some inconsistencies with the tops on the Maestros. (Virtuosos are a-ok ). Anyway, he says 4 months......I'm sure Peerless will get it straightened out - after all, they have a reputation to live up to now ! I'm just going to sit back and wait.

I'm in Pa., and it seems ridiculous to have one shipped from California, especially in all the heat that's blanketing the country.
    I've got plenty of guitars to keep me busy and motivated. So there , guys, is the story from the "East Coast" . I'm just going to have a lot of gas for 4 months !!!!!!(But it will make a nice Christmas present to myself !)

Regards,

Chip

User Info Menu

Martin has a video where he explains how he voiced the guitars. He wanted less mid-range so the balance was even across all the strings when he played fingerstyle. He didn't like how on most jazz boxes, some notes jump out and the high notes are lost. In his lesson, he really emphasizes letting the melody, voiced on the high notes of his chords, jump out clearly.

User Info Menu

Aesthetically I think the big curly classical f-holes are way too big and gaudy for that size guitar. Would have preferred the smaller s-holes like the other models. It's way too much on such a nice minimalist looking guitar. And would have preferred a rounder cutaway. The cut's not that bad, but those big f-holes, ugh....

Hi Woody Sound,

I don't know.....you are right about the aesthetic look of the f holes....I checked out the Vanden website to see how much the guitars differ and discovered that the Vanden has f holes very similar to Peerless' other models. Go figure !

Maybe it was just an effort to make the 2 guitars look obviously different from each other, because they do have a tendency to look a lot alike...........On the other hand, maybe it was done to open up the sound a bit from the smaller guitar. That's not mentioned anywhere that I can find. Then again, what do I know.......But, I'm not going to let the size of those holes bother me as there are a few references to pretty good tone/sound/balance. And Dutch Courage says "a joy to listen to"......Sounds like a "keeper" ( if I can just get one ).

Regards,

Chip

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    Hi Woody Sound,

I don't know.....you are right about the aesthetic look of the f holes....I checked out the Vanden website to see how much the guitars differ and discovered that the Vanden has f holes very similar to Peerless' other models. Go figure !

Maybe it was just an effort to make the 2 guitars look obviously different from each other, because they do have a tendency to look a lot alike...........On the other hand, maybe it was done to open up the sound a bit from the smaller guitar. That's not mentioned anywhere that I can find. Then again, what do I know.......But, I'm not going to let the size of those holes bother me as there are a few references to pretty good tone/sound/balance. And Dutch Courage says "a joy to listen to"......Sounds like a "keeper" ( if I can just get one ).

Regards,

Chip
    Yes of course, sound and feel is all that really matters, especially once it's on your lap. I was just making a personal aesthetic comment. Despite those f-holes, I am considering trying one if I can.

User Info Menu

I am ecstatic. I have taken delivery of subject guitar and it has exceeded my expectations. I now have two archtops I use for work and personal enjoyment. Coincidentally, both are made offshore (the other being a GB10). I can say coincidentally with honesty because the price of the instrument was really no influence in my search other than to say I was not looking for a $10,000 guitar to take out to work. To wit, I recently had a chance to play a new recreation of an iconic cornerstone of this genre and was quite disappointed. While I would like to have such a guitar in my collection I don't live in archtop heaven and the wait to find a good one could be long. I look forward to sharing pictures and perhaps a sound clip as my schedule permits. Thanks to all forum members who helped me with this difficult mail order decision.

User Info Menu

I really like the looks and features of MT's signature guitars....I don't why ( other then his name)...or limited production the laminate model is more then the other peerless archtops....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by artcore
    I really like the looks and features of MT's signature guitars....I don't why ( other then his name)...or limited production the laminate model is more then the other peerless archtops....
    I was on the Guitars n'Jazz website and I think their price lists for the MTs are mixed up. They have the lam Virtuoso for $2895 and the all solid Maestro for $1895. This can't be correct, can it? I've always seen the solid Maestro listed for around $2900 and the lami for $1900 on other sites. GNJ is selling the lam Virtuoso for $1895 on eBay.

User Info Menu

The Maestro is all solid woods, maple/spruce with ebony f/board. Virtuoso is laminated (but prettier,) woods, rosewood board. Maestro approx. 2 x price of Virtuoso.
    A couple of days ago I had my first chance to play both guitars. Both loud enough acoustically to play at home, and Maestro a bit louder and sweeter. Gibson finish standard - ie. Very good. Light weight, compact, comfortable to play and wider f/board with shorter scale a breeze. Electrically, I preferred the sound of the KA on the Maestro, but did not get a chance to try through different amps. (modern Fender.)
    A nice guitar, will I get one...........?........not sure. Do I need one - not really. Look forward to trying the MT flat-top and chambered when they're released.
    The Maestro I played was sunburst all over, (no natural top,) and I believe all natural versions are in the pipeline.

I think its the style of the cutaway that aesthetically spoils it for me, plus I'm one of those who kinda like to have the G word on the headstock! It is a really good guitar, though.

User Info Menu

OK I'll try. First some of the ?'s above: price for the virtuoso and maestro are reversed on the web site; all wood as banana has covered above; I have no way of knowing how they arrive at retail costs for these things or why they cost more than other Peerless guitars except that I don't think they share many production assets.

The guitar was purchased from the NJ dealer and they were helpful and pleasant to work with. I would have preferred the luxury of buying at the store but that horse has been put away.

The box arrived via UPS with no damage. I removed the case and the guitar from the case. The 6th string was a few cents flat but other wise the guitar was in tune. Eb but in tune. I played the CMaj7 shape at the third fret and my wife, who was in another part of the house, said WOW. It is quite nice accoustically with no harmonic overtones and excellent and distinct string separation. Hope that makes sense. I use Quilter amplifiers and the tone is rich and distinct thru the Quilter and a couple of small practice amps I have scattered through out the house. I am anxious to take it out and determine where the feedback threshold is and to see how it works with a group although I had envisioned using it more for singles and doubles (with piano ).

The guitar was set up nicely. Perfectly intonated. The action very low. It plays very easily. The neck is thicker than my other guitars but nothing close to the ball bat analogy. I enjoy the 1.75 nut width. Actually this neck dimension thing is a non issue for me until the string spacing gets really close and my stubby fingers cover more than one string.

Asthectically the the guitar is beautiful to my eyes. The fit and finish are superb. The back has a very artfully done sunburst with the sides blending nicely with the blonde top. The ebony really helps with the understated beauty of the guitar.

I have been playing the crap out of the guitar and will go through the break in and set up over the next week or two.

I dont think I have left anything of importance out.

I am very happy with this choice. This dealer does have a return policy which I will not be using.

Please let me know if I can elaborate on anything else and I will do my best.

User Info Menu

Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    I think its the style of the cutaway that aesthetically spoils it for me, plus I'm one of those who kinda like to have the G word on the headstock! It is a really good guitar, though.
    Interesting how we all see things differently. I love the cutaway. To me it's one of the best features of the guitar. It clearly improves access above the 14th fret and does it in what I consider to be a really elegant way.

BTW, Kevin Karrick, a really fine player who now lives in Portland, has (had?) a used one for sale. The easiest way to reach him is through Facebook.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 09-01-2014 at 12:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Whoa, the top is a MUCH lighter shade than the advertising pics show. Aesthetically I still have a hard time looking at a guitar that is half natch and half burst. My neighbor did his house gray on the bottom half, taupe on the top half. I have to look at it every day

User Info Menu

The above photo is lighter than the Maestros I've seen too. The two colours actually work together, better than you'd think.
    The Maestro I played was an all sunburst one, which was well done, (like the Virtuoso,) and I gained the impression that there may be all blonde ones in the pipeline too. I tried these guitars at Guitar Village in Farnham, Surrey, in the UK, and though it is an hours drive from me, it is worth it, service is outstanding, no pressure to buy, and the staff are happy to talk guitars with you, and let you play. Its in a 15th century building, and they carry a huge stock of Gibson, Fender CS, Gretsch ,Martin and others. Quite a pleasure to visit.
    Jim- I don't mind the cutaway that much, in fact, its growing on me! I know I'm a bit traditional with guitars.
    In the absence of anything with remotely similar specs in the UK, even at twice the price, I may well end up with one. It ticks a lot of boxes for me, for sure.
    I'd like it even more if the Maestros maple sides and back had some figure like the laminate Virtuoso does. The neck is very nice, and beautifully finished. I do want to try the flat-top Crescendo before I make a decision, though.
    One of the things I liked particularly was the very natural 'acoustic' sounding pickup on the Maestro.
    Last edited by bananafist; 09-15-2014 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Whoa, the top is a MUCH lighter shade than the advertising pics show. Aesthetically I still have a hard time looking at a guitar that is half natch and half burst. My neighbor did his house gray on the bottom half, taupe on the top half. I have to look at it every day
    I like it because I always have a hard time deciding what finish to get on a guitar. With the maestro I can just flip it over for a change if I start doubting what I selected! (I/m the guy who always get the chocolate/vanilla swirl ice cream cone just for that reason!)

User Info Menu

I've been doing a Western Swing (Cowboy Jazz)gig for the last few years on Monday nights. Show format, small medium venue (186 fire code max) house sound. Band consists of bass, drums, steel, fiddle, keys, and guitar. I have used my GB10 here with no feedback issues. I usually use my MusicMan Majesty due to the variety of music played. I thought this might be a good test of the feedback limits for the Maestro. No feedback. Interesting that my Ibanez and Peerless both have floating pickups and my 1967 Gretsch Country Gentleman with mounted pickups has feedback issues in this and many other environments. Anyway the feedback issue has been put to bed and the Maestro has been played, loud. Sure sounds good through my Quilter 8 with 12 cab. I guess no surprise for me there. Best regards, all.