The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 78

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gcat
    I know it's an old thread now, and Peerless stopped making the Martin Taylor Maestro and Virtuoso models. Not sure if Peerless is still in business any more.
    However, I'm looking to acquire a Maestro model and would appreciate any help I could get.
    "Guitars 'n Jazz" in New Jersey seems to have a bunch still available. Here's a link, I hope it works.

Archtop Guitars | Guitars 'n Jazz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I believe Fibonacci is making Martin Taylor's guitars currently. If not they have some similar style offerings at fair prices.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I checked with Lou and they're out of MTs.

User Info Menu

Thanks but the Joya is a very different ax and at 4k+, too much.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I checked with Lou and they're out of MTs.
    Wow, I wonder what happened with MT and Peerless. He just raved about the guitars.

User Info Menu

MT raved about them with good reason, the sound is great (for me). They are the best (piano) of archtops for the price point. Not sure about why the change came about. The Peerless website has been down. I have found a Virtuoso for sale but I'd like to hold out for a Maestro to show up. If you hear of one...

User Info Menu

I know it's an old thread now, and Peerless stopped making the Martin Taylor Maestro and Virtuoso models. Not sure if Peerless is still in business any more.
    However, I'm looking to acquire a Maestro model and would appreciate any help I could get.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Wow, I wonder what happened with MT and Peerless. He just raved about the guitars.
    Peerless continue in S.Korea to the best of my knowledge, but without the marketing and distribution network formerly provided by my good friend Graham Esson who established Peerless EU. After QC issues became a central factor, Graham moved on to establish Fibonacci Guitars in London with an exciting and dynamic design policy. Martin has had significant input in the development of certain models, notably the Joya and was ( I think ) the first of several Fibonacci endorsees. Not sure if Doc Dosco continues to distribute Peerless in the US.

David

User Info Menu

There’s a brand new one for sale. But it’s in Turkey. No worries, they’re on the Black Sea. The seller has over 70 positive feedback.

Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro Carved Top Jazz Guitar with | Reverb

User Info Menu

I gave Doc Dosco a call and waiting for a callback. No callback from Doc. Not a good sign.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-04-2021 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

The Fibo MT's are $6K US. Liked the Peerless pricing better

User Info Menu

Hi, I happen to have a new one I just bought in March from Lou at Guitars and Jazz - he told me it is the last new one he had (or will have!) I don’t play it (I bought a new buscarino the week after, and prefer the larger scale). If you are interested, I’ll give you a good deal on it (below what I paid lou)…send me a PM and we can go from there….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    The Fibo MT's are $6K US. Liked the Peerless pricing better
    Understandable, but these are entirely different animals - of a different order.

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Understandable, but these are entirely different animals - of a different order.

David
    How different?
    The website is a bit vague on how much of the guitars are made overseas (where?) and how much is done in the UK?
    Final assembly on the UK - what does that mean?
    Finishing and set up in the UK - that's good.
    But I liked the sound of Martin playing the old ones - and half the price.

User Info Menu

Acquired a Peerless MTM over the weekend (You've all seen it). Sounds and plays great. Love it. Now if the tune sucks, it's MY fault.
    I'm sure the Joya is a wonderful guitar but I'll have to significantly up my game just to honor this instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    How different?
    The website is a bit vague on how much of the guitars are made overseas (where?) and how much is done in the UK?
    Final assembly on the UK - what does that mean?
    Finishing and set up in the UK - that's good.
    But I liked the sound of Martin playing the old ones - and half the price.
    Sensitive subject for some ( see the previous thread on this ). That said, the guitar bodies with necks attached from inception are sourced from China as 'white' wood. Everything else is done in the UK to a very high standard - fretting, painting/nitro, electrics, pickups and all fittings ( usually Switchcraft and CTS ). Mostly fitted with TI flats as default. Stringent quality control is overseen by Graham Esson ( CEO and former CEO and distributor for Peerless in Europe ) and a team of expert luthiers in London. As you know, Peerless are made entirely in South Korea and can be excellent. Two entirely different scenarios. Peerless are wholly Asian.

User Info Menu

Sensitive subject for some ( see the previous thread on this ). That said, the guitar bodies with necks attached from inception are sourced from China as 'white' wood. Everything else is done in the UK to a very high standard - fretting, painting/nitro, electrics, pickups and all fittings ( usually Switchcraft and CTS ). Mostly fitted with TI flats as default. Stringent quality control is overseen by Graham Esson ( CEO and former CEO and distributor for Peerless in Europe ) and a team of expert luthiers in London. As you know, Peerless are made entirely in South Korea and can be excellent. Two entirely different scenarios. Peerless are wholly Asian.
    In fact ( my memory ), Graham has just corrected me thus re- 'carcasses' only, necks not attached, since custom requirements require different neck profiles and more................

'When bringing in carcasses, they usually come in without the necks attached. This allows us to do more custom work here as more and more people are asking for custom necks. We have started building full guitars also.'

User Info Menu

MT raved about them with good reason, the sound is great (for me). They are the best (piano) of archtops for the price point. Not sure about why the change came about. The Peerless website has been down. I have found a Virtuoso for sale but I'd like to hold out for a Maestro to show up. If you hear of one...
    I understand that the Lee family, who founded and ran Peerless until quite recently have sold out to a Korean firm who make tuners and other accessories which could explain the lack of marketing visibility. This would also explain the lack of availability of earlier Peerless models. Shame if this is the end of an era. Doc Dosco knew the Lees very well. He would know.

User Info Menu

I understand that the Lee family, who founded and ran Peerless until quite recently have sold out to a Korean firm who make tuners and other accessories which could explain the lack of marketing visibility. This would also explain the lack of availability of earlier Peerless models. Shame if this is the end of an era. Doc Dosco knew the Lees very well. He would know.
    For the record, Peerless was established as an independent marque in 1970 having made for the likes of Epiphone, Gretsch et al as an OEM manufacturer. The Cremona, two MT models and the Leela probably represented a high point.

User Info Menu

For the record, Peerless was established as an independent marque in 1970 having made for the likes of Epiphone, Gretsch et al as an OEM manufacturer. The Cremona, two MT models and the Leela probably represented a high point.
    Good luck with your search. This guy in SW France was one of our appointed dealers, but looks like he has run Peerless down to a handful of models now: PEERLESS. GUITARE ELECTRIQUE
    Thomman no longer stock Peerless, so not sure where I would look for new models. Lots of choice second hand on Reverb of course.

User Info Menu

Doc didn’t call me back. I wonder if that means he’s not selling Peerless any more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Doc didn’t call me back. I wonder if that means he’s not selling Peerless any more.
    Hope Doc is OK. Lovely guy who first put me in touch with the Lee family when I ordered a Jazz City from Korea - ex-factory over 13 years ago. Certainly looking as though this may be the end of Peerless as we knew it. Cannot find any new stock with dealers over here that we used to supply and they report that communication is less than ideal.

User Info Menu

Just by curiosity, what is the bracing like on the Virtuoso?
    Parallel or another style?

Can you compare Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro to Peerless Imperial?

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

There is a Peerless Maestro for sale in UK on Reverb currently. The price being asked reflects the scarcity nowadays.