The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 78

User Info Menu

Good to hear how the Maestro worked well for you in a live band situation. I'd wondered about this myself, as a potential owner, and glad to learn no feedback problems.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wanted to introduce my new live-in musical friend from Korea, her name is Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro. Doc Dosco introduced us. He had her groomed by Nick Karahalios to play easier before sending her to me.

She has a 15" wide 2.75" deep body, 1.75" wide neck, weighs 5.9 lbs. She is all black and has solid wood top back and sides and ebony tailpiece and finger rest and a Ken Armstrong mini humbucker.

Obligatory photos (2b has raised the bar unrealistically so hope you can tolerate them):
    Attached Images Attached Images Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro-peerless-mt-maestro-3-jpg Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro-peerless-mt-maestro-5-jpg Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro-peerless-mt-maestro-2-jpg Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro-peerless-mt-maestro-1-jpg 
    Last edited by medblues; 10-11-2016 at 08:24 PM. Reason: changed China to Korea

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Enjoy! I am a big fan of Peerless instruments. Love my Monarch 16.

Parenthetically, I believe that Peerless guitars are made in Korea, rather than China..

User Info Menu

I think it is South Korean...

Very nice guitar partly based on the archtop that Mike Vanden made for Martin Taylor.

A Peerless Martin Taylor! That is 3 brand names in one guitar.

User Info Menu

Very Cool Guitar Medblues.
    15" must feel pocket sized when you are playing it on the couch, but perfecto when you are standing up with a strap.
    Peerless guitars are really nice guitars, especially when they put there own name on the guitars. Awesome.
    Enjoy it my friend!
    JD

User Info Menu

I dig the minimalist look.

User Info Menu

Very nice looking. Sleek and elegant. Congratulations, and Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Great pick!

I've said it before, I'll say it again--Peerless offers one of the best quality to price ratios out there. The build quality is outstanding, and they are real lookers as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Very Cool Guitar Medblues.
    15" must feel pocket sized when you are playing it on the couch, but perfecto when you are standing up with a strap.
    Peerless guitars are really nice guitars, especially when they put there own name on the guitars. Awesome.
    Enjoy it my friend!
    JD
    Yes, it doesn't make me look as small as the Heritage when I stand up :-) Also, as Mr. Beaumont said about these recently "black guitars are slimming".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I think it is South Korean...

Very nice guitar partly based on the archtop that Mike Vanden made for Martin Taylor.

A Peerless Martin Taylor! That is 3 brand names in one guitar.
    If his parents knew, they could have named him Martin Gibson Taylor or Parker Martin Taylor etc. I liked the concept of a fingerstyle 15" instrument like a classical guitar (which has 14-15" lower bout but deeper). After the Heritage Johnny Smith, I did not mind having shorter scales, this one has 24.6".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Wanted to introduce my new live-in musical friend from Korea, her name is Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro. Doc Dosco introduced us. He had her groomed by Nick Karahalios to play easier before sending her to me.

She has a 15" wide 2.75" deep body, 1.75" wide neck, weighs 5.9 lbs. She is all black and has solid wood top back and sides and ebony tailpiece and finger rest and a Ken Armstrong mini humbucker.

Obligatory photos (2b has raised the bar unrealistically so hope you can tolerate them):

Medblues,

I was just now playing your friend's twin sister. I never expected to keep a Maestro myself (the 17" Peerless Imperial has been my main squeeze) but I can't put the damn thing down. I put Thomastik flats on this one. It isn't quite as acoustic sounding as with roundwounds but it's perfect for me as I prefer flats and this guitar works with either flats or rounds equally well.

It has a fat enough jazz tone for such a small guitar. I took it to a gig a few weeks back and I really loved the sound, the weight (it is light as a feather) & the 1 3/4" nut. The action is sweet, as the scale makes the 012 Thomastik Swings feel really buttery to play. My old arthritic hands appreciate the easy playability. It could substitute as a travel guitar too. It isn't really, really tiny in a gigbag, but it is small and light enough to qualify methinks.

Anyway, enough chirping about the Maestro. I am happy that it has worked out for you. Martin Taylor certainly designed a fine guitar with this model....

User Info Menu

That's a nice guitar! I had an ebony ES-175 (single pickup) for about 35 years that I loved. Your Peerless Martin Taylor reminds me of it. Martin Taylor has long been one of my inspirations on both the acoustic and electric archtop guitar. He's one of the very best.

Enjoy your guitar. I bet it plays and sounds just great.

User Info Menu

I just got a used Maestro in mint condition. Acoustically, it's a bit bright and not very loud, but plugged in, it's unbelievable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redlion
    I just got a used Maestro in mint condition. Acoustically, it's a bit bright and not very loud, but plugged in, it's unbelievable.
    Enjoy and give us some photos and/or some clips.
    I ended up putting flatwounds on it although mine wasn't acoustically very bright. I agree that it is not loud but mine is loud enough for light touch playing when practicing unplugged.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think that all black look really works on the Maestro, first one I've seen and and that's now first choice if/when I get a Martin Taylor model.

Congrats !

User Info Menu

When you say that it's a solid wood guitar, is it pressed or carved?

I must say that I've been really impressed by how well Asian manufacturers are dealing with the carving of acoustic archtops. I've played many Eastmans that are every bit as good as their American counterparts, and while I haven't personally played a Loar, I've read glowing reviews for their 600 and 700 level guitars that have been properly set up.

User Info Menu

It's carved, but quality-wise it's still not up o the standard of say, and American-made Taylor guitar. The guitar does have numerous small cosmetic factory defects. It's not a big-deal for me, but if I'd paid retail for a Peerless Maestro, I'd probably be a bit annoyed at them.

User Info Menu

That Loar '650 model is bar none the loudest 16" archtop I've ever owned. Nothing else comes close. I'm a big fan of the Peerless brand. But it can't touch a good Loar for acoustic properties. Different guitars too.

User Info Menu

It is carved and it has a pleasant acoustic sound and very good amplified sound with a very comfortable neck/fretboard. However, the minor issues detract (i.e. Godin would label some of these guitars factory seconds). For instance, I just discovered that my guitar does not have a ground wire from the strings to the output jack (full ebony tail piece with no metal plate under it). I believe this contributes to electronic noise that is a bit more than one would expect from a humbucker. Not a deal breaker (people play single coil equipped archtops all the time) but may need additional work and cost.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    It is carved and it has a pleasant acoustic sound and very good amplified sound with a very comfortable neck/fretboard. However, the minor issues detract (i.e. Godin would label some of these guitars factory seconds). For instance, I just discovered that my guitar does not have a ground wire from the strings to the output jack (full ebony tail piece with no metal plate under it). I believe this contributes to electronic noise that is a bit more than one would expect from a humbucker. Not a deal breaker (people play single coil equipped archtops all the time) but may need additional work and cost.

medblues,

I checked with Peerless and got the following response:

"As you know, the tailpiece on Maestro originally is full ebony wood set without any metal part on. The wire is behind of tailpiece like attached picture. Factory manager wants to check if the the wire at the tailpiece on his guitar like this."

The English is a bit rough, but they responded right away....

User Info Menu

I'd be worried about the tailpiece snapping under the string stress.

User Info Menu

Anyone know the fretboard radius of the Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coltranetime
    Anyone know the fretboard radius of the Peerless Martin Taylor Maestro?

Thanks!
    I measured mine and its 14", which is also the same radius as his current Fibonnacci Joya model.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob!

User Info Menu

I know it's an old thread now, and Peerless stopped making the Martin Taylor Maestro and Virtuoso models. Not sure if Peerless is still in business any more.
    However, I'm looking to acquire a Maestro model and would appreciate any help I could get.