The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I have the opportunity to buy a GB30 Ibanez 1990 in very good condition, it is a model of GB that was not very successful, very similar to the Sadowsky semihollow, I would love to know if anyone has one, or played one of these guitars for have first-hand opinions
    Thank you very in advance guysSomeone around with an Ibanez GB30?-ibanezgb-30_1_zps11a0ede8-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm considering buying one at the moment, or trading for one. Very comfortable, great neck, nice body size and not a bad weight. I don't like the sound of the pickups all that much. They made a bunch of prototypes at that time, and one went to Sco, that one had a trem. He even photographed with it on a CD cover, Flat Out I think. But that was about the extent of his playing it.
    One for the Ibanez museum.
    David

User Info Menu

Sold mine for $500 recently. Great guitar had it for years. Great neck, great playability. Just wasn't playing it any more. I had lost the orig pickups though and tuners. All around good guitar but didn't have that sparkle for me that made me want to pick it up and keep playing (you what I'm talking about right?) never had any issues with it. Very we'll made and excellent fit and finish. Not too heavy either.

User Info Menu

MY friend GuitarTim has one I believe, hopefully he'll see this and chime in.

I decided buy!, My first impression is very good, my only question is whether to stay in their original state,
    If not I have big plans for this girl

User Info Menu

Congratulations. Play it for a while and get to know it. They have their own unique vibe. Let us know what you think.
    David

User Info Menu

Very curious to know your impressions of this instrument. I bought one some years ago on ebay on a hunch. $800 plus a couple hundred in work. Not a purchase I have ever regretted. Love that guitar.

Several months that I have this GB30 and became one of my favorite guitars,side by side with my 175 (always talking about the electric sound )
    It strung with 11 flat, is extremely comfortable and the super 58 have a very balanced sound, on the negative side could say that the poly finish is rather thick, on the other hand this guitar is a little unknown model, so the resale value is not commensurate with the quality of the instrument, fact which does not bother me because I have no intention of selling it, Maybe in the future will make a refinish with nitro but for now it's my workhorse and I'm very happy with she
    regards

User Info Menu

I got the gb30 not so long ago. Black. It is comfortable to play. Similar neck like my gb10. I think There are no further similarities with a jazzbox or with es335 style. It is more like a les Paul. The body is comfortable standing and seated. With distortion pedal the gb30 is close to a les Paul. Has similar sustain like a les Paul too. I found the clean sound very unique. Chords sound clear, warm and open. Very suitable for jazz or blues. All sounds on this guitar are interesting and very good. A Versatile guitar. I read it has super 58 pickups. Ibanez must have made many different super 58. I have those pickups also on a ar5000 and a am205. Sound is completely different on those guitars. The gb30 is at least as good as a gb10 or es175 or es335. But it is very different, that is why I love it and keep it.

User Info Menu

i had one. more like a 339 but brighter, thinner and somewhat mediocre. Not in the same league as a gibson 339 imo

User Info Menu

Oh, I've played a 339, mr Smith, good guitar, but I prefer a les paul or a 335 if it comes to sound. I don't see any reason at all why a Gibson would be "better". What the GB30 has, in clean sound, is some acoustic vibe in it. Very nice when played with fingers. The guy who sold the GB30 to me had lots of nice guitars that I've tried also and he said he wished he had sold me his Gibson ES335. That says something.

User Info Menu

Love mine flat out. I don't compare it to a 335 or LP or anything else and feel no need to. I don't compare girlfriends either. Mine is always nicer. Another instrument I have that is superficially similar to it, only in that it is a small semi-hollow, is a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. I love it as well. Smokier than the GB-30 and there are things I prefer it for, although usually that is more of mood than anything else. That said, in terms of versatility, the GB-30 kills it. Covers a lot more ground for me. I do love small semi-hollows.

User Info Menu

If I can say one thing that I enjoy a bit more about the gb30 than my other jazz guitars, and I love them all, (gb10, am205, sa2200, es175) it is the comfort. Same size like gb10 but thinner and lighter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stbatz
    I have the opportunity to buy a GB30 Ibanez 1990 in very good condition, it is a model of GB that was not very successful, very similar to the Sadowsky semihollow, I would love to know if anyone has one, or played one of these guitars for have first-hand opinions
    Thank you very in advance guysSomeone around with an Ibanez GB30?-ibanezgb-30_1_zps11a0ede8-jpg
    Just played one at a jam , I borrowed it because
    My guitar wiring went south ....
    (Just fixed it today , replaced a broken earth wire
    To the tailpiece which was really awkward and
    A hassle , but I think I've fixed it now ... Fingers
    Crossed)

Anyway , the gb30 was great , good neck , good tone for a solid guitar ....
    Looks great to I think

User Info Menu

Solid? It's a semi-hollow body guitar. Sounds like it too. Very nice.

User Info Menu

Yes, it sure is a comfort wagon. I am a small guy -- a 335 type is out of the question. Looks like I have a continent strapped around my neck. Have always had a hankering after a GB-10 though. A small hollow would be nice to have too!

User Info Menu

Nothing beats an oddball!

User Info Menu

Right you are, Marwin. If that is that case, I am unbeatable. What is the guitar you are wielding in your profile pic?

User Info Menu

It was my first "adult" guitar, got it appr. 10 years ago and it is very universal guitar, heva a look:
    Ibanez GB30 - George Benson Signature Model 1990 - 50 Shades of Guitar

Someone around with an Ibanez GB30?-gb-ag11-19-jpgSomeone around with an Ibanez GB30?-gb-ag9-21-jpgSomeone around with an Ibanez GB30?-gb-ag22-8-jpg

User Info Menu

That sure is a nice git box there, Mr. Cat. Looks like the bad twin sister of mine. Nothing but love for this instrument. If I had to pare it down to one desert island guitar, this would be the one. Of course, the island would need some way of generating electricity.

User Info Menu

That looks awesome. I have never heard of the GB30 - given the tailpiece, is this a semi hollow or a full hollow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

It's a semi with a block.

User Info Menu

Someone around with an Ibanez GB30?-3c611dde-3598-4de8-b28b-4b2d243afcb2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ibbys rock
    Someone around with an Ibanez GB30?-3c611dde-3598-4de8-b28b-4b2d243afcb2-jpg