The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 120 of 120

User Info Menu

If I could play one comfortably, I'd consider making a Tele my only guitar. It's because I've heard such great music played on Tele's, in vastly different styles. Steve Cropper and Ted Greene? That's some range!

I like the sound of archtops when they're not feeding back, but the size isn't super comfortable and I hate feedback.

The guitar that is most comfortable for me is a Yamaha Pacifica 012. Slimmest neck in every dimension that I've ever played. And, because of advancing arthritis, that would be my choice. Not the best sounding guitar, although it's okay, but the one I might expect to play the longest.

I like my Comins GCS-1, but it's not quite as comfortable. Also, it sounds best with the treble control rolled almost all the way off. I love that sound, but I need some others for the music I play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Somehow, I missed this thread five years ago. But, I would like to think I would have said the same thing then. My Soloway Loon has made my happy for many years now and while others have come and gone, this has been the one constant. Superlight, wide neck and string spacing, the perfect pup, and fits me perfectly. If you could have only one electric guitar ...-0068ca69-e374-4adf-9b05-b090c03828d2-jpeg

User Info Menu

If it could just be one it would be my Rickenbacker 350V63 from 2006.
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-350v63-jpg

Though I would really like to give an honourable mention to a thinline that I made seven years ago.
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-8909-jpg
    That instrument has since gone, but I am about to make another (essentially identical) one to replace it. It complements the Ric wonderfully. Like the Ric, I could have it as an only guitar if I had to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale
    L5 WesMo
    same here !!

User Info Menu

My '59 reissue Strat. It's an absolute beast and I can do pretty much anything with it. Beyond that, it's the only guitar that survived me getting laid off years ago. I sold everything else to keep the lights on in my apartment and my then-girlfriend (now wife) "bought" the Strat off me so I didn't have to actually sell it.

Only mod is that I dropped in a set of Tyson Tone pickups that Bobby Tyson wound for me to sound more like P90s. I run it with TI Swings (11s) through the Polytone and it's perfect. I now have rebuilt a good stable of guitars, but this one stays no matter what.

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-59avri-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Attachment 63632

My ES 330 – but I'm in the honeymoon phase. I'm still experimenting with strings a bit – right now I'm happy with flatwounds .012. With the roundwounds it came with it's more versatile but the flatwounds give me the punch I go for now and can sound funky – I'm not a real book player but play in some funky organ trio, so it's more jazz-flavoured than "real" jazz.

Another vote for a 330! If I am approaching this as if I had to sell everything I own except one guitar the last one standing would be my 1967 330. It is my desert island guitar. Great for jazz, blues, rock, etc. twangy as well on the back pickup.

User Info Menu

Yamaha SA 2200. It's at the center of a least squares analysis of all I've had. Also the only guitar I really regret selling. Heck, there's a new one in a nearby store. I can always tell my wife "I haven't used this one for a while."

User Info Menu

it would be - time tested!

User Info Menu

Five years ago, I answered this thread by saying on the one hand I could go with my ES-335, on the other hand I could go with my ES-175.

Since that time, I have discovered that all my guitars are either variations on the L5, or they are Tele/Strats--that I use to sub for the big archtops when I don't feel like lugging one of them.

So, let me take another run at this:

If I had to pare things down to a single guitar, it would almost certainly be a Gibson L-5CES. That guitar fits the bill for 95% of what I elect to play, these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    If I could play one comfortably, I'd consider making a Tele my only guitar. It's because I've heard such great music played on Tele's, in vastly different styles. Steve Cropper and Ted Greene? That's some range!

I like the sound of archtops when they're not feeding back, but the size isn't super comfortable and I hate feedback.

The guitar that is most comfortable for me is a Yamaha Pacifica 012. Slimmest neck in every dimension that I've ever played. And, because of advancing arthritis, that would be my choice. Not the best sounding guitar, although it's okay, but the one I might expect to play the longest.

I like my Comins GCS-1, but it's not quite as comfortable. Also, it sounds best with the treble control rolled almost all the way off. I love that sound, but I need some others for the music I play.
    I have modded quite a few of these...just change the pups and set up with strings of your choice.

User Info Menu

For me it would be one of these-we are talking electric, so ignore the L50 reposing on the sofa. It would be hard to choose from among the three Gibsons in front, but really, there wouldn't be a wrong choice there anyhow.
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-l5-introduction-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Only one? Hmm, a Roger Borys B120 should do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    The number 1 for practical and sentimental reasons it would be my Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster!

Attachment 13153
    Oh yeah!

Practical reason, 43mm wide nut, P90 styled pickups, beefed up electronics. Acceptable dark sound for jazzy musings and powerful enough on the other setting to push my single channel valve amp into crunchy rawk! Yee haw!

Sentimental reasons because my wife bought it for me.

I connected with this instrument so much it was a revelation!
    I have been tempted to get one of these. I would have to flip some gear but it is between this and a short-scale Mustang bass. Hmm...

User Info Menu

For a long time my only guitar was a '92 Am. Std. Tele. I customized it with 3 pickups and a wiring setup that let me get 9 different pickup combinations. The only downside to my Tele is that it is heavy and as I get older that is an issue. My choice would be either my Tele or my s/s/h Parker Nitefly. The Nitefly is almost as versatile as my Tele and extremely lightweight.

User Info Menu

My d’aquisto jazzline without a doubtIf you could have only one electric guitar ...-40cda88f-5b1b-479e-b43a-eb88b7e865dd-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmpmcdermott
    My '59 reissue Strat. It's an absolute beast and I can do pretty much anything with it. Beyond that, it's the only guitar that survived me getting laid off years ago. I sold everything else to keep the lights on in my apartment and my then-girlfriend (now wife) "bought" the Strat off me so I didn't have to actually sell it.

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-59avri-jpg
    If I really, really had to choose I'd probably agree with the choice of the Strat. In my case it's an E series 1982 model. It's the guitar I play on all my non-jazz gigs and if I really had to, I'd probably be able to get some jazz sounds out of it. Having said that, it's not gonna happen so the ES-355, the John Stowell, the Hofner A2, AZ and New Pres et al can rest easy.

User Info Menu

Great girlfriend/wife

User Info Menu

One electric guitar? Probably a (weight relieved) Les Paul. Or Maybe a Strat. Then there is the 175 or L-5 to consider.

Arguable a 335 is the right choice (I have owned many and have never bonded well with these).

I am hoping that I never have to make that choice moving forward.

User Info Menu

If I could only keep one guitar it would be my '86 PRS Custom 24, my longtime #1. Played all kinds of music in all sorts of places - Dumps, dives, dances, and dens of iniquity; homes and hay wagons; pool rooms and poolsides, parties and proms; jams and joints; taprooms and taverns; concert stages and all-night ragers; indoors, outdoors, days nights, and all times between; hot and cold, tired and wired, elated and deflated, sad, mad, and bad; in my prime and on my dime.

Loved every minute of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    One electric guitar? Probably a (weight relieved) Les Paul. Or Maybe a Strat. Then there is the 175 or L-5 to consider.

Arguable a 335 is the right choice (I have owned many and have never bonded well with these).

I am hoping that I never have to make that choice moving forward.
    Wow, I’ve only got one and it’s a 175. Who knew?