The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 120

User Info Menu

Rainy day 4th-of-July musing ...

Of course I've owned numerous electric guitars over the years. Right now I have an Eastman AR403ce, a Godin Montreal Premiere, and a Fender JA90 Tele.

I play the Eastman and the Fender live more often than the Godin, just due to the musical contexts I normally find myself in.

But if I could keep only one it would be the Godin, because it feels great to play and is sonically the most versatile - does jazz very well and rock pretty well. Then again, thank goodness I don't actually have to choose only one!

What about you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I could only keep one it would probably be the one I don't play much anymore and that is my 335. It was my main guitar for many years and not a style of music I can't handle with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    If I could only keep one it would probably be the one I don't play much anymore and that is my 335. It was my main guitar for many years and not a style of music I can't handle with it.
    Yeah, the need to play various styles enters into it for a lot of guitarists. If I had to pick one guitar for everything I ever play, it would be my PRS Hollowbody. Like a 335, it handles every style of music.

On the other hand, if I were to pick a single guitar to play straight ahead jazz with, it would be my Holst. Different tools for different jobs...

User Info Menu

Maybe an Engel with split coils. You can cover a lot of ground with it.

User Info Menu

My semi....does everything I want it to do, has the right neck shape/profile and smells good as well....

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-image-jpg

User Info Menu

The number 1 for practical and sentimental reasons it would be my Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster!

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-sdc11277-480x640-jpg
    Oh yeah!

Practical reason, 43mm wide nut, P90 styled pickups, beefed up electronics. Acceptable dark sound for jazzy musings and powerful enough on the other setting to push my single channel valve amp into crunchy rawk! Yee haw!

Sentimental reasons because my wife bought it for me.

I connected with this instrument so much it was a revelation!

User Info Menu

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-1901814_680089678708378_1530062252_n-1-jpg

My Ibanez 2630. I play that 90 % of the time anyway and it is the most playable and best sounding guitar I have

Jens

User Info Menu

I could never choose so would go with this one
    Attached Images Attached Images If you could have only one electric guitar ...-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Tough call. My initial thought was my Epiphone Sheraton. Semis are tremendously versatile.

However, I really like play surf as well as jazz. Because of the need for a tremolo bar, I'd have to go with my Godin SD - with an EMG strat pickup set and SPC tone pot.

User Info Menu

For weight, portability, ease of tuning and great tone with any strings, I'd go air guitar.

Plus it seems to be really appealing with the girls.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 07-04-2014 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

L5 WesMo

User Info Menu

Would be my Gibson Tal Farlow but...heu I don't have one

User Info Menu

My CP Thornton Professional.

It is just so versatile, being a semi-hollowbody, <7 lb., two Lollar Imperial low winds with a 5-position switch (2-split coil positions). It can cover all the genres that I play (jazz, blues or rock).

User Info Menu

My blue L5 Studio (the one from the avatar)

User Info Menu

Telecaster. I've been using one exclusively for all gigs in the last year, and it's been working out great for big band, jazz, rock, roots/americana. It just seems to do everything well in a band situation.

User Info Menu

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-image-jpg

if I had this I wouldnt need nything else ever. My kingdom for a Ken Parker. Don't even need an amp.

User Info Menu

If it had to be just one, it would be this one:

If it could be two, I'd add this:

Good thing I don't have to limit myself

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Telecaster. I've been using one exclusively for all gigs in the last year, and it's been working out great for big band, jazz, rock, roots/americana. It just seems to do everything well in a band situation.
    Yep, my tele would have won out if I didn't play surf. The need for a trem in that style forced my hand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    I could never choose so would go with this one

I never thought that I'd ever say this about a guitar, but this one looks like bagpipes!

At this point of my life, I don't think that versatility is a factor for me. I'd probably keep my L-4C with a floater, and my L-7 for playing acoustic.

Or I'd go with something that I have yet to own: a Steve Andersen Electric Archie Hybrid.

User Info Menu

any one of my tele's would be my "desert island"/"burning house" guitar if there could be only one
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-7dcb0f13-8d8a-432d-b5a7-f273c4848e65_zpsa50e9c96-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images If you could have only one electric guitar ...-fender-classic-69-telecaster-thinline-natural-427198-jpg 

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

My heritage H530 is my favourite "does-it-all" guitar. A great and reliable workhorse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...
    I do have only one electric guitar, and it's the only electric I've ever owned. A strat with EMGs installed in an HSS config plus the EXG and SPC parametric EQ controls to replace the tone knobs. (They are awesome.)

This setup is very flexible.

After the frets wore down to the point they were unusable, I discovered it was cheaper to buy an entire new custom neck than refret, so it now has a 7.25" to 9.5" compound radius neck made by the excellent USACG.

Since the bridge is a Callaham, that means the only remaining part of the original guitar is the wooden body. I guess it's a partscaster now, though I prefer to think of it as a DIY Custom Shop model.

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-midnight-blue-outside-2-jpg

User Info Menu

I like too many guitars but these earlier Guild Starfire's are nice versatile electrics....

If I had to choose one keeper, I'd put the pickups from the one on the right on the one on the left!

z
    Last edited by zizala; 07-05-2014 at 04:09 AM.

User Info Menu

My Painter P-350T: