Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 117 of 117

User Info Menu

Old post, but what the heck....

I'd have difficulty choosing between my 1980 Ibanez AS200 which covers many bases, with a tri-sound neck pickup and plays best with 12s or 13s - or alternatively my 2016 Ibanez Artist 2619 Prestige which covers all the pickup styles (parallel, series and single coil) and plays like butter using 10s. For versatility it would probably be the 2619 Prestige

Funnily enough I'd leave aside my 1961 ES-175D and my 2008 Custom Shop 1961 Strat (NOS), because although they are fantastic instruments they are more like one-trick poneys.
    Last edited by Ray175; 07-21-2019 at 10:50 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Who made your semi?

Thanks

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100 View Post
    My semi....does everything I want it to do, has the right neck shape/profile and smells good as well....

Attachment 13152

User Info Menu

If I could play one comfortably, I'd consider making a Tele my only guitar. It's because I've heard such great music played on Tele's, in vastly different styles. Steve Cropper and Ted Greene? That's some range!

I like the sound of archtops when they're not feeding back, but the size isn't super comfortable and I hate feedback.

The guitar that is most comfortable for me is a Yamaha Pacifica 012. Slimmest neck in every dimension that I've ever played. And, because of advancing arthritis, that would be my choice. Not the best sounding guitar, although it's okay, but the one I might expect to play the longest.

I like my Comins GCS-1, but it's not quite as comfortable. Also, it sounds best with the treble control rolled almost all the way off. I love that sound, but I need some others for the music I play.

User Info Menu

Somehow, I missed this thread five years ago. But, I would like to think I would have said the same thing then. My Soloway Loon has made my happy for many years now and while others have come and gone, this has been the one constant. Superlight, wide neck and string spacing, the perfect pup, and fits me perfectly. If you could have only one electric guitar ...-0068ca69-e374-4adf-9b05-b090c03828d2-jpeg
    Best regards,
    Matt

User Info Menu

If it could just be one it would be my Rickenbacker 350V63 from 2006.
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-350v63-jpg

Though I would really like to give an honourable mention to a thinline that I made seven years ago.
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-8909-jpg
    That instrument has since gone, but I am about to make another (essentially identical) one to replace it. It complements the Ric wonderfully. Like the Ric, I could have it as an only guitar if I had to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale View Post
    L5 WesMo
    same here !!

User Info Menu

My '59 reissue Strat. It's an absolute beast and I can do pretty much anything with it. Beyond that, it's the only guitar that survived me getting laid off years ago. I sold everything else to keep the lights on in my apartment and my then-girlfriend (now wife) "bought" the Strat off me so I didn't have to actually sell it.

Only mod is that I dropped in a set of Tyson Tone pickups that Bobby Tyson wound for me to sound more like P90s. I run it with TI Swings (11s) through the Polytone and it's perfect. I now have rebuilt a good stable of guitars, but this one stays no matter what.

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-59avri-jpg
    On the Turntable: Joe Morris - Colorfield, Albert Ayler - The Hilversum Session
    Guitar:
    Fender AVRI '59 w/ TI Swing 11s and Tyson Tone pickups
    Through: Polytone Mini Brute II

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly View Post
    Attachment 63632

My ES 330 – but I'm in the honeymoon phase. I'm still experimenting with strings a bit – right now I'm happy with flatwounds .012. With the roundwounds it came with it's more versatile but the flatwounds give me the punch I go for now and can sound funky – I'm not a real book player but play in some funky organ trio, so it's more jazz-flavoured than "real" jazz.

Another vote for a 330! If I am approaching this as if I had to sell everything I own except one guitar the last one standing would be my 1967 330. It is my desert island guitar. Great for jazz, blues, rock, etc. twangy as well on the back pickup.

User Info Menu

Yamaha SA 2200. It's at the center of a least squares analysis of all I've had. Also the only guitar I really regret selling. Heck, there's a new one in a nearby store. I can always tell my wife "I haven't used this one for a while."

User Info Menu

it would be - time tested!

"You've got to be in the sun to feel the sun. It's that way with music too." - Sidney Bechet

User Info Menu

Five years ago, I answered this thread by saying on the one hand I could go with my ES-335, on the other hand I could go with my ES-175.

Since that time, I have discovered that all my guitars are either variations on the L5, or they are Tele/Strats--that I use to sub for the big archtops when I don't feel like lugging one of them.

So, let me take another run at this:

If I had to pare things down to a single guitar, it would almost certainly be a Gibson L-5CES. That guitar fits the bill for 95% of what I elect to play, these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    If I could play one comfortably, I'd consider making a Tele my only guitar. It's because I've heard such great music played on Tele's, in vastly different styles. Steve Cropper and Ted Greene? That's some range!

I like the sound of archtops when they're not feeding back, but the size isn't super comfortable and I hate feedback.

The guitar that is most comfortable for me is a Yamaha Pacifica 012. Slimmest neck in every dimension that I've ever played. And, because of advancing arthritis, that would be my choice. Not the best sounding guitar, although it's okay, but the one I might expect to play the longest.

I like my Comins GCS-1, but it's not quite as comfortable. Also, it sounds best with the treble control rolled almost all the way off. I love that sound, but I need some others for the music I play.
    I have modded quite a few of these...just change the pups and set up with strings of your choice.
    Frank

"Ok, loan me $20, but only give me $10....that way you still owe me $10, and since I owe YOU $10, we'll be even......"

User Info Menu

For me it would be one of these-we are talking electric, so ignore the L50 reposing on the sofa. It would be hard to choose from among the three Gibsons in front, but really, there wouldn't be a wrong choice there anyhow.
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-l5-introduction-5-jpg
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

Only one? Hmm, a Roger Borys B120 should do it.
    Great Deals with Great Folks: max52 (Guild-Benedetto Artist Award); prickards (Ribbecke GC Halfling); Cincy2 (Comins Concert)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow View Post
    The number 1 for practical and sentimental reasons it would be my Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster!

Attachment 13153
    Oh yeah!

Practical reason, 43mm wide nut, P90 styled pickups, beefed up electronics. Acceptable dark sound for jazzy musings and powerful enough on the other setting to push my single channel valve amp into crunchy rawk! Yee haw!

Sentimental reasons because my wife bought it for me.

I connected with this instrument so much it was a revelation!
    I have been tempted to get one of these. I would have to flip some gear but it is between this and a short-scale Mustang bass. Hmm...

User Info Menu

For a long time my only guitar was a '92 Am. Std. Tele. I customized it with 3 pickups and a wiring setup that let me get 9 different pickup combinations. The only downside to my Tele is that it is heavy and as I get older that is an issue. My choice would be either my Tele or my s/s/h Parker Nitefly. The Nitefly is almost as versatile as my Tele and extremely lightweight.

User Info Menu

My d’aquisto jazzline without a doubtIf you could have only one electric guitar ...-40cda88f-5b1b-479e-b43a-eb88b7e865dd-jpg