The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 120
    Simply the most versatile guitar I have played and enjoyed. It literally can do almost anything.

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-dscf2729-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tough call...

The Tele is the obvious choice. But no acoustic sound! Still it can cover all genres.

I have been loving the Peerless Sunset I got recently. Great jazz sound, great ergonomics. I haven't pushed it much out of the jazz genre though--wonder if feedback would be an issue?

Last, the Godin 5th Ave with floating HB--lovely guitar to play, especially fingerpicking. And sounds good unplugged.

Hmmm--this is hard. Right this moment, for what I'm doing, the Sunset gets the call. But that could change next week.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 07-06-2014 at 10:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmmm

My Ibanez AS200
    My Soloway Loon
    A tele

Anyone of those would do. Hard to choose. I'll just keep them all. Wait a minute I don't have a tele. Rut Roh (gas).

User Info Menu

My 3 pickup Gibson Les Paul Custom modded with ES-5 electronic setup of 3 volumes and 1 master tone and with a (gasp!) Bigsby B7 . It's my go to guitar and is very versatile.

User Info Menu

PRS P22/P24. Gibson sound, funky Fender sound, reasonably decent acoustic sound.

User Info Menu

es-175.

User Info Menu

There are a couple of ways to go with this one. If you thin it down to one guitar...(1) you could go with a do everything model--my ES335 or my Telecaster--or, (2) you could go with a guitar that does what I want it to do--my ES175 or preferably a L-5CES.

User Info Menu

Tele or 335 with tapped coils.

Or I could just ignore versatility and play my L5 for the rest of my life

User Info Menu

Stratocaster. In a pinch it can be a handy weapon (defensive only of course). And if you loose it you can replace it in a few minutes for less than a grand.

User Info Menu

If you can't do it with a well setup Strat, it ain't worth doin'

User Info Menu

My tele, its a boring answer, but it can cover any ground I need to.

I taught a few lessons today with my Hofner verythin, and it can do the same job...but those country gigs expect me to show up with my tele.

User Info Menu

From my current collection, I would go with my National 1950s archtop with the Darmond Monkey Stick p/u. I'm playing a production of Hairspray this weekend and it is covering all the bases for me. Great for the rock and jazz tunes.

For a budget (under $1,000), I might go with one of the Gretsch 5120 Setzer models.

Dream big I would pick a Gibson ES-150 Charlie Christan model. Saw one a few weeks ago on a workbench and fell in love. The guy who owned it had super light strings and a horrible setup on it (sad because he really didn't know any better).

~Danny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    If it had to be just one, it would be this one:

Danny W.
    Please forgive me, but I wish I owned this guitar, it looks so fine. What is the type of SB called please? Thx!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    es-175.
    +1. Not the finest tone available, but it just works for live playing.

User Info Menu

My Guild X-500.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Please forgive me, but I wish I owned this guitar, it looks so fine. What is the type of SB called please? Thx!
    It's called tangerineburst.

Here's the back of it:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

My '62 ES 355. Re-wired mono but with functional Varitone. Lots of bases covered.

User Info Menu

Although this is not my favorite guitar, it is by far the guitar that will do everything. Godin XtSA with Fishman TriplePlay installed... 3 pickups, piezo, Roland VG/synth access, Tripleplay midi, whammy bar (not shown). The desert island has computers, right?
    If you could have only one electric guitar ...-godin-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott
    Although this is not my favorite guitar, it is by far the guitar that will do everything. Godin XtSA with Fishman TriplePlay installed... 3 pickups, piezo, Roland VG/synth access, Tripleplay midi, whammy bar (not shown). The desert island has computers, right?
    I was also going to say my three-pickup Tele, but my Godin LGX-SA has to be it with its piezo, two nice splittable humbuckers and synth access.

User Info Menu

My Epiphone Dot. Duncan SH2 & SH4 coil tapped from tone controls, independent volume controls, flat wound 12's, through my Roland Cube 60.
    Attached Images Attached Images If you could have only one electric guitar ...-dscn0464-jpg 

User Info Menu

L-5CES with both a TOM and an ebony saddle available for swapping. Strung with flats for jazz or rounds for everything else. Really a very versatile guitar that rarely gets credit for that, since most folks reserve it for jazz only. But at the end of the day, it's a 2 x HB Gibson with all the flexibility that format affords the player.

User Info Menu

At the moment I've only got one, my american std. telecaster but if I had the choice of any electric, I'd go with an ES-335 or ES-330

User Info Menu

guess its this one. gotten me in and out of the most trouble:

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-030-jpg

were i allowed a second, probably the polfus. depends.

Quote Originally Posted by GoergeBenson
    Simply the most versatile guitar I have played and enjoyed. It literally can do almost anything.

If you could have only one electric guitar ...-dscf2729-jpg
    the red chet makes me want to punch both of us in the face. so awesome. you are a fortunate duck, indeed. its one of those guitars i wish i had time to sit with to convince myself that i needed it. still not sure how i feel about the wider neck, and that aside, its sort of a maple necked 335 kind of deal, right? or is it deeper?
    Last edited by feet; 07-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feet

the red chet makes me want to punch both of us in the face. so awesome. you are a fortunate duck, indeed. its one of those guitars i wish i had time to sit with to convince myself that i needed it. still not sure how i feel about the wider neck, and that aside, its sort of a maple necked 335 kind of deal, right? or is it deeper?
    Lol

No I loved the wider fretboard, thats what help male it so versatile. It made complex 'closed position' jazz voicings easier to get hold of and blues bending a breeze.

The body is way more resonant than a 335 IMO, thew top is much thinner, probably half as thin if not more and it has a bigger body, so it was also a good Jazz Guitar.

The ebony on the fretboard was stunning.

I will get another.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    My '62 ES 355. Re-wired mono but with functional Varitone. Lots of bases covered.
    Lots of people scoff at the Varitone. I always thought it sounds great.