The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Ibanez LGB300 vs AF200-lgb300-jpgIbanez LGB300 vs AF200-ibanez-af200-1-png

They have very similar spec, but a big difference in price. Is Benson's name worth $3000 more on this piece of wood?

I also wonder why AF200 is not popular in jazz. I have never heard anyone play it or any clips from the internet.

If you own one AF200, I wonder how does it compare to other Artcore and GBs. Thank you in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The AF200 is a new Prestige model hasnt been out long. There are only a few models available, and most Music Stores want stock it at $2300 (MSRP $3000).

Have you played one before?

User Info Menu

No Sir to answer your question, I have a PM2 for a year now and can only expect the quality, workmanship and sound to be better if not equal. The Ibanez I was prepared to purhase was the AG95, as it was the best sound and craftsmenship available at the big store GC. I checked a smaller old school shop where the violin model was being sold and the salesman said "I probably shouldnt show you this" as he handed me the PM2. Well above and beyond any thing I tried to date. The price was what I considered reasonable. I have questioned for better pricing on the AF200 at two other locations and will check at the old school shop also. I will probably purchase this instrument without prior playing it and never regret it. Let's face it these are the quality pieces expected at reasonable prices. My first quality piece was in 1978 it was a 1977 Fender Stratocaster it was a quality piece then and now. I believe find the sound staple you require an work towards that. This instrument is just for personal use, no gigs and bands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mojackson
    The AF200 is a new Prestige model hasnt been out long. There are only a few models available, and most Music Stores want stock it at $2300 (MSRP $3000).
    That's a good price, here in the UK they want nearly £1700, mine is due halfway through September.

User Info Menu

They are both Fujigen made guitars, so it's hard to tell.

The reality is that Ibanez may be adjusting their business model and targeting a price point to get less profit per guitar, but higher volume and less inventory. It also allows the guitar to get into more retailers. The sub-$2500 archtop market is likely doing very well now.

To note, this is very similar to the fujigen MFA-HH, which has an identical pricepoint as the AF-200.

It's pure economics, price based on what the market can bear, but also where there is demand.

User Info Menu

I have an LGB300 so comparing them will be interesting, I got a good deal on the AF200, £200 discount, I tried to get them to do a custom version with 1 pickup but no luck they don't operate a custom shop anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    I have an LGB300 so comparing them will be interesting, I got a good deal on the AF200, £200 discount, I tried to get them to do a custom version with 1 pickup but no luck they don't operate a custom shop anymore.
    Hi Finn - does that mean you only paid £1400 - if so, can I ask where ? They apparently have one in stock in Sounds Great Music - I may pop over and try it to see how it compares to my Expressionist and Artstar Ibbies.

They really need to think of a different acronym for Brown Sunburst.

User Info Menu

It looks like Ibanez have dropped the price, that price is only a few £s more than what I'm paying, I got the discount because I know the guy I'll have to try renegotiating my discount
    Last edited by Finn; 08-03-2014 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

The SS300 looks pretty interesting as well, even though it is likely a MIC artstar guitar, it is without question intriguing.

User Info Menu

Certainly made in China it has Super 58 custom pickups, spec says solid spruce top?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Finn
    Certainly made in China it has Super 58 custom pickups, spec says solid spruce top?
    It's likely a different version of the incredibly hard to find ss500 which appeared a couple of years ago on the japanese market. I think the only differences seem to be cosmetic, the knobs, and the the trapese tailpiece. The specs are identical otherwise. It looks like the same guitar. Considering how loved the ss500 was I am surprised this did not come up on this board earlier.
    Last edited by Ghostlady; 08-05-2014 at 12:20 PM.

User Info Menu

It reminds me of an LGB10 seems to be the same dimensions but only 20 frets and the neck joins at the 14th, a LGB10 joins at the 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostlady
    It's likely a different version of the incredibly hard to find ss500 which appeared a couple of years ago on the japanese market. I think the only differences seem to be cosmetic, the knobs, and the the trapese tailpiece. The specs are identical otherwise. It looks like the same guitar. Considering how loved the ss500 was I am surprised this did not come up on this board earlier.

I thought they were a bit odd and too bright in tone, to be worth much consideration in my book.
    My local guitar shop had them (UK) for £1,500 and I just didn't think they where worth it.
    The Sj500 would have been my preferred one.
    I'm all about Japanese Archtops but this little run, never really interested me. Not like the DMO Greco and Epiphone stuff.

you may never have seen one of these but this is one the 'all time best' little jazz box's to come out of Japan IMO

Washburn J-10

Ibanez LGB300 vs AF200-dscf1819-jpg-jpgIbanez LGB300 vs AF200-dscf1637-jpg-jpg

User Info Menu

There is a very good English jazz guitarist who plays a J-10 he using it for nearly all studio recording instead of his L5 but I damned if I can remember his name. I was looking for a J-10 for a long time but never found one. Just remembered his name Jon Dalton.

Last edited by Finn; 08-06-2014 at 12:38 PM.

It is hardly seen now.

User Info Menu

I have an AF200 it is a great guitar beautiful neck smooth sounding pickups and the build quality and finish is outstanding. Ibanez LGB300 vs AF200-af200-5-jpg

Ibanez LGB300 vs AF200-af200-2-jpg

Ibanez LGB300 vs AF200-af200-3-jpg
    Last edited by Para; 02-23-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Beautiful, thanks for sharing these photos.

User Info Menu

Can't say much about the GBs but I had an 80s Washburn J-10 which was very nice and I gigged with it for many years, but then I picked up an late 80s Ibanez AF 200 and it is much superior to the Washburn. Don't get me wrong the Washburn was great, but the AF 200 is amazing. Better than my 175, better than my 335, better than the 70s lawsuit Ibanezes.

Quote Originally Posted by jfchessa
    Can't say much about the GBs but I had an 80s Washburn J-10 which was very nice and I gigged with it for many years, but then I picked up an late 80s Ibanez AF 200 and it is much superior to the Washburn. Don't get me wrong the Washburn was great, but the AF 200 is amazing. Better than my 175, better than my 335, better than the 70s lawsuit Ibanezes.
    Thanks for your opinions.

User Info Menu

Presently I own a gb10, gb5, gb12, af200, af120, afj95j ak95. All are pretty cool and love the high degree of manufacturing skills that went into all those guitars......I still want other guitars but when I finally get them I then realize that there wasn't much difference in the guitar.....I had the same characteristic in a prev' guitar.
    Been playing since I was 8 and am now 62....And if I don't say my self...I can play!!! too many times I'm curious 'bout a guitar, go to youtube and start listening to a beginner that needs a beginners guitar/ or a rock player that demo'ing a jazz guitar....Very trying....

IMO all these guitar have some redeeming factor. I can get a "Benson-ish" tone out of all of them. Some of the guit' have a low output pickup but make up for it in the acoustic construction and so forth.

The AF200 is a great guitar...best as an electric, as are the GB guitars. I played a LGB30 at Guitar Center but it was much too close to my AK models that I own. In feel and in tonal out put.

Just recently bought a Gibson es339....now that a great sounding guitar!! Not much for looks but one of the best performing, reacting, live guitar tool in my book....

Quote Originally Posted by eloy
    Presently I own a gb10, gb5, gb12, af200, af120, afj95j ak95. All are pretty cool and love the high degree of manufacturing skills that went into all those guitars......I still want other guitars but when I finally get them I then realize that there wasn't much difference in the guitar.....I had the same characteristic in a prev' guitar.
    Been playing since I was 8 and am now 62....And if I don't say my self...I can play!!! too many times I'm curious 'bout a guitar, go to youtube and start listening to a beginner that needs a beginners guitar/ or a rock player that demo'ing a jazz guitar....Very trying....

IMO all these guitar have some redeeming factor. I can get a "Benson-ish" tone out of all of them. Some of the guit' have a low output pickup but make up for it in the acoustic construction and so forth.

The AF200 is a great guitar...best as an electric, as are the GB guitars. I played a LGB30 at Guitar Center but it was much too close to my AK models that I own. In feel and in tonal out put.

Just recently bought a Gibson es339....now that a great sounding guitar!! Not much for looks but one of the best performing, reacting, live guitar tool in my book....
    Thank you for your opinion. Occasionally, I found some ES-175 with cheap price but I decided to pass on it. Because I don't need it if I'm not a professional player.

User Info Menu

I recently re-purchase an Af120 from Korea......great guitar!!!! price was 350.00...

Great for a pro as well as an enthusiastic player......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eloy
    I recently re-purchase an Af120 from Korea......great guitar!!!! price was 350.00...

Great for a pro as well as an enthusiastic player......
    I have one signed by George Benson. I really need the little black badge that sticks on the tail piece. You wouldn't wanna sell it to me would you? Notice mine still has the plastic on the Pick-guard and on the truss rod cover (although you cant see that bit) Its essentially new with a few scratches from being displayed and moved.

The Af-120 is the same as the Af200 and the FG-100 and Jp-20 its just the budget model.

Ibanez LGB300 vs AF200-group-shot-1-1-jpg
    Last edited by Archie; 09-30-2015 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I’ve played a LGB300 extensively. It is a very high quality instrument. That guitar is probably the most sturdy guitar I’ve handled. Not to say other GB models are less sturdier, but its more noticeable for the LGB when you prick it up. Its built like a tank. It lets you know it’s full bodied (if that make sense). As explained by GB himself, it was designed with utility in mind for extensive gigging and on the road. Accordingly, the body and neck is made from maple and a carved spruce top. It doesn’t have all the adornments of other GBs. Still, its a very beautiful guitar. The Florentine cutaway makes it unique. Also, it comes in one color. The ebony neck plays fast, very fast. Its a joy to play. The guitar was designed to compete against Gibson 175 and L5 guitars. Although a LGB300 MSRP is cheaper, the LGB definitely not cheap.

It does not sound like a Gibson. It sound like an Ibanez GB. The sound and tone is typical of the GB - more of a tighter punchy woody sound. (See GB YouTube instruction video playing over rhythm changes.). It is slightly more resonant than a GB10 sized guitar because its full bodied.

There’s also the LGB30, a cheaper version. But what the heck, what’s the point of making a LGB guitar in the first place. To me, the repositioned knobs and bigger cutaway makes it less attractive than the LGB. It simply makes the LGB less exclusive. Not suprisingly, George’s video take on that model is less noticeably ebullient and less enthusiastic as compared to the LGB. (Now they make cheaper models of the GB10.). The Ibanez representative I’ve communicated with stressed the superiority of the LGB300 over the LGB30 (without divulging proprietary information of course). I suppose Ibanez has its marketing strategy.

I never played an AF200 but to me, it reminds me too much of GB200