The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm primarily a steel string fingerstyle player, but I dabble in some jazz.

I'm not aware of any jazz players that use a steel string acoustic guitar as their main instrument. Or even a backup instrument.

For inspiration and curiosity, can anyone recommend jazz players that use a steel string acoustic?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ralph Towner on acoustic 12 string and classical guitar would be a good choice. Could someone put up a good you tube video? I'm not too good at computers.

User Info Menu

One Mr Beaumont...

User Info Menu

Eric Skye

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    One Mr Beaumont...
    Hey, that's me!

A lot of the modern guys are using them for different things...maybe not a main instrument, but mike moreno plays a lot of flattop (some old gibson) jon kreisberg played a collings, now an indian hill I think (check out night songs, beautiful flattop tones on several tunes) metheny will play anything with strings, john abercrombie's done flattop jazz, even kenny burrell (somebody will post the video, I'm sire)

Definiyely check out Eric Skye though...as a "fingerstyle" player, that will be right up your alley.

User Info Menu

Although some may argue that he is not "jazz", Tommy Emmanuel. His recording with Martin Taylor wonderful.
    Also, if you are willing to accept that a Gypsy Jazz Guitar is a steel string acoustic, I could fill a page but will start with Bireli Lagrene and let the chips fall where they may.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

As mentioned, Kreisberg's Nightsongs has some beautiful acoustic on it. Leo Amuedo has a scattering of recordings with Ivan Lins and Trijntje Oosterhuis where he uses a steel string, but more often a nylon or semi hollow electric. Nightsongs is a marvelous and inventive album, beautiful stuff.

User Info Menu

Lage Lund on "Romantic Latino for the Ladies" and "Standards". Also the JK recommendation.

User Info Menu

One of the most important players historically would have to be Gabor Szabo surely.

User Info Menu

Julian Lage plays acoustic quite a bit here's one of his etudes....

User Info Menu

In the day Larry Coryell, Gabor Szabo, and Lenny Breau all used flat top guitars to make brilliant jazz.

User Info Menu

Look up Jamie Findlay.
    Plays a Heritage Sweet 16 sometimes but plays a lot of flat top as well.

User Info Menu

Pretty much all gypsy jazz players use steel string acoustics May not be exactly what you're asking for though...

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell and Philip Catherine did a lot of that when they were playing together in the 70's

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell often uses a flattop--see this at around 11 minutes:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

In my limited experience I have found it works best in quieter settings, and in situations where you can let the chords ring out quite a bit. I have found that it sounds a little thin in noisier settings, BUT that could be my inexperience in amplifying acoustics. Not surprisingly, it easier to plug-and-play with an electric, since that is what they do. Getting an acoustic guitar to sound in a larger or noisier room like it sounds in a practice situation seems to be an endlessly complicated subject and can be frustrating if you only have the resources or time to plug one into an amp, even an acoustic guitar amp.

Having said all that, I think they sound great.

Russ

User Info Menu

Thanks for everyone's feedback - some great music here. And sorry for not responding earlier - I've been travelling in remote regions without internet access.