The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering how can I get the beautiful jazzy tone out of mine Mustang III. I've downloaded and loaded a preset called 40's Jazzmaster but I'm not satisfied at all. I know that I won't get twin reverb or deluxe sound out of it, but what can I do to make my guitar and amp sound better?
    Thanks! Cheers from Poland!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Did you consider tweaking the knobs until it sounds good?

Too forward-thinking, perhaps ...?

User Info Menu

cubana97, a had that amp. And I tried and tried...and then tried. You just won't get THAT sound out of it. I'm sorry, I failed iven though I tried really hard.
    The thing with processor amps is that hey have everything except ... sound. You are happy in the beggining and then you realise that ther's one thing missing.
    Of course I can be in deep mistake, only my opinion.
    The only help now is the sound from your fingers or the tube amp.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Not quite so in my experience. I happen to have a mustang iv and a real twin. One day is had them side by side and played a loop through an A/B pedal alternatingly into oth. After fiddeling with the knobs the mustang came quite close to the twin.

I would put the bias hotter in the extended settings and increase the gain a bit to make it sound fatter, a bit of fender 63 spring reverb, perhaps the compressor of the mustang (really not bad), a tad of delay or even a mild amount of overdrive before or after the preamp stage ... You should be able to get a fairly decent jazz sound out of this amp. It will fall a bit short of the real thing because the speakers, cabinet and poweramp are not top notch - but with a bit of tweaking should be able to do quite well.

Thanks for all of your advices. I've already tried to tweak the knobs but it doesn't really make a big difference. I will try to make my own preset with those advices from FrankLearns.
    Thanks to You all one more time!

User Info Menu

I have a Mustang III version 2 and I can get convincing Fender sounds.

Here is a nice Twin Reverb sound.

gain 5, vol 9, treble 7, mid 8, bass 8, rev 2, bias 50%, sag 50%, noise gate low, cab 4x12v
    I use the small plate reverb set as follows: level 2, decay 6, dwell 8, difusion 8, tone 2
    no other effects

I have also been experimenting with the Studio Preamp model and it works well for a clean polytonish sound with my Eastman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cubana97
    I've already tried to tweak the knobs but it doesn't really make a big difference.
    FUSE is your friend... embrace it!

User Info Menu

The difficulty with tone is that it isn't something that just happens on its own. Sticking my neck out here but I reckon all electric guitar players experience difficulties with perceiving and achieving good tone. I think jazz guitarists have the most problems because when archtops are played not only do you have to shape the amplified tone but you have to listen to this critically whilst trying to filter out the acoustic voice which generally is much brighter. If you record the amp and play it back (without the bright acoustic tone) then the recording is usually much darker than you expect. Even with a solid body guitar, jazz playing at home volumes still contains an appreciable element of bright acoustic sound.

I think it is a classic case of observer error. The only way to overcome it is to record then listen to your own playing and then make a critical evaluation as to what needs to be added or taken away to make it sound like the tone in your head.

Its a trap that most of us fall into but it is too easy to blame a component, like the guitar, the pickup or amp, rather than do the hard work that is required to get the best tone possible from the gear we have.

And that's the double jeopardy of electric guitar. How are you supposed to be aware of the potential of your gear when you don't know what it is capable of? It is like needing to write a recipe for a meal you haven't yet tasted or giving directions to a destination you haven't yet chosen. The easiest way to figure out tone is to start from an easily referenced starting point such as bass, mids and treble at 12 o'clock. Record and then listen to your amps tone. Make small changes to one control and record then listen again. Its a slow process but at the end you will have acquired the skill to listen to the tone of an amp and to know what adjustments to make so that it sounds the best it possibly can. Think things through logically too. What are the chances of a major manufacturer modelling one of their own amps with a straight forward clean tone and getting it completely wrong? It might be a couple of percent accuracy out but not so much that its unusable.

Record your playing, listen to it, think of how it might sound nearer to the sound you want and remember a tweak is just that. A small change. Often the difference between "terrible" and "great" is very little

User Info Menu

It bears repeating, FUSE is your friend.

User Info Menu

It bears repeating......nah I wouldn't be that cruel!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chimera1to1
    It bears repeating......nah I wouldn't be that cruel!!
    Oh, c'mon...!

You KNOW you want to!

User Info Menu

No. Too busy tweeking my tone knobs.

And today's sermon,.....Blessed are the succinct. Ahem. Sorry Amen.��

User Info Menu

I like the way my Nexus tablet glitches and double posts.
    Last edited by Chimera1to1; 06-18-2014 at 05:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I know a couple of guys who have that amp ... a pro country player who gets credible clean and overdrives sounds, and an amateur who gets really ratty, unconvincing distortion sounds. From what I've seen, I'd set the amp on the cleanest digital sound it has and turn the tone knobs all the way up ... Treble 10, Mid 10, Bass Ten (for example), then reduce whatever there is too much of, which may depend on: whether the amp is on a stand or on the floor, and the acoustics of the room. IMO, it will never sound just like a real tube amp, or even just like an old school Polytone, but I've heard decent cleans out of those, again IMO not as good as a non-digital amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cubana97
    Thanks for all of your advices. I've already tried to tweak the knobs but it doesn't really make a big difference. I will try to make my own preset with those advices from FrankLearns.
    Thanks to You all one more time!
    So

Any luck, cubana97?

User Info Menu

Why don't you guys just upload and share a couple "patches/voices"?

I have Fuze on my SCX2 but don't use it much. It does allow for some great editing though.

User Info Menu

You might find something here:

Mustang Monday by intheblues - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-ZqLIS9daaiXhg

Mustang Monday #1 - Delayed '65 Fender Princeton
    Mustang Monday #2 - Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
    Mustang Monday #3 - Two-Rock Studio Pro 22
    Mustang Monday #4 - Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
    Mustang Monday #5 - VOX AC30C2
    Mustang Monday #6 - Fender EC Tremolux
    Mustang Monday #7 - EC Twinolux Custom Version
    Mustang Monday #8 - Signature Marshall Tone
    Mustang Monday #9 - Fender '57 Bandmaster
    Mustang Monday #10 - Super-Sonic 60

They have the presets available for download.

This was also interesting:

Blind Test - Fender '68 Custom Deluxe vs Fender Mustang III -