The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

I bought a secondhand (or thirdhand) Terada, an ES-335 model.

The guy who sold it to me said he was told, when he bought it, the top was solid mahogany. I'm not sure about that one, however. But the bindings etc, all the finishing touches are beautiful!
    But anyway, the guitar plays wonderfully and has a great tone. If I get the chance, I definitly want to make a comparrison with a guitar of a Gibson-like price class (which this one is not!).

Now the question: It seems impossible to find any information about this guitar on the internet. I'm looking for a little bit of history, the year it was built,... (There is no serial number anywhere on this box).
    I know Terada is a factory in Japan, where among others, Gretches are build and, I think, Epiphone Elitists also...

Has anybody heard about Terada guitars, or does anybody know where I can find some information?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

it could be that the top is solid wood, but probably not mahogany. Hard woods don't make a very good sound when compared to the softer woods, like spruce.

Also, I am pretty sure that most 335's are laminate? I believe mine is. Anyone?

User Info Menu

Yeah 335's are laminate with a solid block down the middle. Gibson has changed block woods over the years.

I have not seen a solid wood 335 clone before, but i suppose it is possible. I sincerely doubt mahogany though. The 335 is a pretty heavy guitar to begin with, making it out of mahogany would be brutal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    The 335 is a pretty heavy guitar to begin with, making it out of mahogany would be brutal.
    Yeah, that is true. It is also one way to find out if it is made out of mahogany. Weigh it, then compare it to the weight of a known ES-335 which is prolly about 17 pounds (a guess for now).

User Info Menu

Tanks for the info, guys. Well, I guess mahogany is out of the question. I don't have a Gibson i the neighbourhood to compare with, but the Terada is not really that heavy. I' ll try to post a pic next time.

Grtz. M

User Info Menu

i recently purchased a vintage "el torres" 335-type guitar. based on the little information i have this brand is closely related to terada (some el torres guitars have "terada guitars" stamped on the inside label).

The Terada factory made high-end guitars for ibanez in the mid-late '80s, but back in the seventies they had released guitars - mostly gibson and martin copies - under their own name (at harmony central there are several user reviews).

i'm very interested to see some photos of motion's 335, for i never saw any other 335-type guitar related to terada, only a few hollowbodies.

Terada Guitars-el-torres-es-335-jpg

User Info Menu

Finally I have the confirmation that Terada and El Torres are the same instruments. Indeed my guitar is the same as yours (even if I can't see the details). Same headstock, same triangle position marks, same "antique" f-holes. I hope you can pos some photos of the instrument soon. I'm posting a close-up of mine.

Interestingly, I know two italian jazz guitarists who used the same archtop, but with the "El Torres" brand. I live in Italy too, so that makes me think that for same reason Terada exported their instruments to Italy using this name (a similar thing happened with other japanese guitar makers in the '70s, including Ibanez).

User Info Menu

I noticed that my instrument has a mahogany central block, which makes it's tone very mellow. I play jazz and I'm able to get a sweet jazztone with it even with the treble at "10".

User Info Menu

Here are some photos. It has a mahogany block.
    Attached Images Attached Images Terada Guitars-wp_000320-jpg Terada Guitars-wp_000316-jpg Terada Guitars-wp_000315-jpg Terada Guitars-wp_000313-jpg Terada Guitars-wp_000312-jpg 

User Info Menu

Same factory, IMO.
    The Polytone semi has a mahogany block as well.
    Similar wood, finish, shape of "ears", level of detail to the binding and purfling, and so on.

From Wikipedia:
    "Terada were established in 1912 at Nagoya and concentrate mostly on making Semi-acoustic and Acoustic guitars and have made guitars for Ibanez, Orville by Gibson, Epiphone Japan, Gretsch and other well-known brands as well. At their production peak (in the late 1970s/1980s/early 1990s) they were producing around 10,000 guitars a month using 3 factories, the Higashiku factory, the Kanie factory and the Shirakawa factory. Terada's output is now about an 1/8 of what it was at their peak and they are still actively producing guitars at their Kanie factory."
    Attached Images Attached Images Terada Guitars-terada-comparison-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-11-2013 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Wonder why mine does not have a brand . Just Terada T.
    Last edited by kekkuli; 11-13-2013 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kekkuli
    Here are some photos. It has a mahogany block.
    It also appears to have a mahogany neck.

The Terada factory in Japan are basically custom luthiers with excellent craftsmanship and materials used.
    They have made the Epiphone Broadway Elitist and other Epiphone models, Some Fender acoustics, Gretsch White Falcon as well as some other Gretsch models, so I am not surprised that they make their own versions for the Japanese Asian markets, although it is rare to see these models over here in NA.

Here is a video of the famous Terada factory, known for it's craftmanship..making Gretsch of course...

Note the girly pinups on their workstations..accepted in their culture, but banned in NA..due to "sexual harrassment in the workplace
    rules"
    Last edited by Daniel Kuryliak; 11-13-2013 at 07:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Maybe I am crazy but I think this is in par with even Gibson CS 335. Beautiful rich tone.

Quote Originally Posted by kekkuli
    Maybe I am crazy but I think this is in par with even Gibson CS 335. Beautiful rich tone.
    If it's a Terada handcrafted model, depending on the pickups used..yes it will be close, but not exactly a CS-335.

User Info Menu

Hi Kekkuli

I play the same model since 1983, real clear brilliant sound and long sustain. Actually I don't need it anymore because I'm playing accoustic on a classical guitar. I would sell it to an interrested player.

Cheers, Bist

Terada Guitars-20150104_125407-jpg

User Info Menu

Having had many Japanese archtops, it could be silly to say that there is a difference in quality between Fugigen and Terada but I have always been fonder of guitars from Terada.

Cant even say I know why as the early Ibanez stuff (artist etc) is second to none.

User Info Menu

​Really lovely guitars, all of them.

User Info Menu

guy`s i have a terada 335 gibson copy,, it`s wonderful, ive owned it for 25 years,, sadly it got water damaged and it at the menders,,, i pulled out the electrics (nothing fsancy about them , so i`m going to full hog,, seymour duncans, 500k pots and having tricked upu to run out of phase and in series/parralel,,,

my question is ,, did gibson licence terada to reproduce the 335 and badge it as a gibson/epiphone for them to sell for this is what i`m lead to belive?

User Info Menu

Vestax D'Angelicos were also made by Terada, I believe.

User Info Menu

If I am not mistaken Terada also built the Orville by Gibson guitars... essentially, Japanese made Gibsons for the Japan domestic market. They, along with Matsumoku (now defunct) and Fujigen, are among the factories that made Japan a guitar making a global force.

User Info Menu

There is an extensive thread about Terada guitars on the Delcamp classical guitar forum:

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.co...p?f=42&t=53616

There is every knowledgeable Person called Whooper. Maybe he can help you out?

I own a Terada steel string acoustic. It's a lovely instrument.

User Info Menu

All of the upper end Gretsch (6xxx model numbers) are made in the Terada factory. Unfortunately the electric part is specified by the contract originator and in my experience Gretsch uses some of the worst pots and switches on the market.

My Gretsch Anni is superbly made equal to most anything Gibson has to offer.

User Info Menu

I have a modern g6120am made in Terada. As fine a Gretsch as an original anniversary I had in the sixties. At least it would be if it stayed in tune.
    davetad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davetad
    I have a modern g6120am made in Terada. As fine a Gretsch as an original anniversary I had in the sixties. At least it would be if it stayed in tune.
    davetad.
    with a bigsby you need heavy strings wound well around the tuning posts... and you need to lubricate the bridge saddle slots and nut slots often and well...a very soft lead pencil works wonders

cheers

User Info Menu

Gee, my Anni doesn't have this tuning problem, I wonder why? Ooh... Ooh I think it's because I hang it on the wall sometimes?

Heeyyy... I got it!!! mine has a tailpiece!

Terada Guitars-gretsch_6118-jpg