The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

Got my second Eastman a few days ago.

My first, was a T386 that I've had for over a year.
    I love it, but somehow, it doesn't quite satisfy my "Jazz Sound" expectations.

I had a not so great experience a few years ago with the guitar on my profile picture.
    A few of you here may remember the AMano guitar.
    I figured out a while ago that the AMano is a Yunzhi build that was labelled by the former member I bought it from, as his design... a few $ more, of course. Suffice to say, I wasn't too happy with the carved top sound. That's another story, for another time.

I'm a lefty. Lefty guitars are a little hard to find. Lefty Jazz boxes are even scarcer.

I spotted an Eastman AR372CE lefty on ebay. I was surprised. My local dealer told me they didn't make them in lefty...

Ordered it, got it, played it, played it, played... you get the picture.
    I seriously love this thing.
    Put on some D'Addario chrome 12's.
    wow. That's what I've been looking for.

I'm seriously impressed with these "student model" Eastman guitars.

Also, I'm very impressed with the service I received from the dealer, Blues Angel Music in Florida.
    The second Florida dealer I've had the pleasure to experience.

If you need pics, I will post some, but it's pretty much the same as others I've seen here.

Cheers, Ron

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I struggle with Eastmens too. They should be what you think they are but somehow they just don't deliver (IME) I don't think the carved top on an Eastmen usually makes the slightest bit of difference.
    I also think the 'Carved Top' can be a problem in itself, if done cheaply or on a badly designed body.
    Nothing like having an unbalanced sound, then pumped through an amp.

I would like to try their laminates though.

User Info Menu

Congrats! They will make an incredible pair. I pair my t386 with an ar403. The ar403 and ar371/372 are of the same quality and laminate tops.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 06-07-2014 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

hallpass. I'm really blown away by how good they are!

User Info Menu

Congrats Ron.

GB, I think you're confusing Ron's comments regarding the Amano with that of his new Eastman(?).

As the owner of several solid bodies,a Heritage 575 and a Gibson 175, I was searching for a carved 17" archtop, primarily considering Heritage, Eastman, and Peerless as I didn't want to go over $3,000. Every time I played an Eastman 905 or 910 I was thoroughly impressed,especially with the acoustic properties and tone. I ended up buying an AR 910 CE and it is the guitar I choose to play a majority of the time, a wonderful instrument. Fortunately my experience has been more positive than GBs. Hopefully Ron your experience will be similar to mine.

User Info Menu

I have a t386 as well. I think I have the same problem, it's great but jazzy enough for me. I've been looking at the 803, 805, 503 and a few peerless models. Anyone have any tips or advice? Thanks!

User Info Menu

As a lefty that plays standard guitars, I don't understand why guys buy left-handed guitars. On every other instrument there is just one version. There aren't left-handed pianos or clarinets. I wonder how LH guitars started?

User Info Menu

That's how I started playing, 50yrs ago. Seemed correct at the time. Too late to change, now.
    I must say, I wish someone had made me play righty.

User Info Menu

So what better day than f-hole friday to take delivery of a new archtop f-hole guitar? - perfect!

Been waiting for this for close to six months. It's an Eastman AR372CE and although their 2017 catalog lists the natural finish as an option I had to put in a custom order - but I have such a soft spot for blonde ES guitars I took that route and I don't regret it one minute...

Excellent workmanship - I've been looking up and down and side to side and front to back and couldn't find a single flaw.
    It is extremely resonant (probably not to everybody's liking) and amazingly loud acoustically - the top seems to be quite thin compared to other laminate archtops. It has been siad that it's very bright sounding and I can see why - not to everybody's liking but highs are more easily dialed out than in....

Neck size and profile are just the way I like 'em - a good round beefy profile - very comfortable to play. Specs say that the neck is a bit wider than the usual 42 mm but I can't feel a difference - will have to measure.

The fretwork is absolutely excellent - no fretting out or buzzing anywhere and the fret ends are smooth and round. What else? It came with a set of D'Addario .015 - 0.52 strings but they were round wound so the first thing I did was put on a set of flatwounds. Still in the process of tweaking the electric sound/tone to where I want it - playing through different amps - already lowered the pickups a bit. Vol and tone controls are also working smoothly as are the machine heads. (I will change the knobs, though. Gold top hats are what this thing needs! ). so here's a happy camper...

A couple of pics and I will try to do a video demo probably tomorrow if youtube will let me upload (I'm having problems here):

Eastman AR372CE-dsci0803-jpg

Eastman AR372CE-dsci0809-jpg

Eastman AR372CE-dsci0810-jpg

Nice binding:

Eastman AR372CE-dsci0813-jpg

Eastman AR372CE-dsci0802-jpg

I'd like to thank everybody who has offered their opinion and point of view on Eastman guitars in my other thread when I needed some input. It has been of great help in making my decision for this purchase.

User Info Menu

Dig it! Congratulations, enjoy your new axe.

I have played one AR371 or 372, can't remember now. Very nice player even without a setup having been done and it was dirt simple to get very nice jazz sounds out of it.

User Info Menu

Nice looking and for sure nice sounding guitar
    Being a proud and happy owner of an Eastman archtop, I fully understand what you are feeling now

Play the hell out of it in good health for the many years to come

User Info Menu

Tommo, that looks really nice. Congratulations. And best of luck with it.
    Ive had a couple of Eastmans and they always seem to be incredibly lively guitars.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe! Have I mentioned that it's very resonant?

User Info Menu

OK - like promised. Here's a demo clip of the guitar. Signal chain is guitar into Tascam GT1 - clean no effects but a touch of reverb. From there directly into the line in of the ZOOM Q2n. A couple of bum notes here and there, I'm still working on internalizing the chord changes.

User Info Menu

If you get the urge to swap pickups, I get great sounds from a BG Pickups Pure90 in the neck position of the my Blonde AR371. (The guitar and pickup are going up for sale soon.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    If you get the urge to swap pickups, I get great sounds from a BG Pickups Pure90 in the neck position of the my Blonde AR371. (The guitar and pickup are going up for sale soon.)
    Thanks for the head's up - so far I'm pleased with what I'm hearing....

User Info Menu

Nice tone! You're gonna have some fun!

User Info Menu

I just got a chance to hear your 372, thanks.

I was glad to hear it had its own voice, very nice, and a (IMO) likely very good base to be very friendly towards EQ tweaking on your amp. It was well worth the wait!

I have some med bills coming up or that would have given me immediate need for GAS satisfaction!

User Info Menu

Tommo, great clip! I was waiting for you to let go, but you kept it in the groove. That was cool.
    Beautiful playing.
    I wouldn't change a thing about the guitar. Unless you find yourself getting buried while playing live with a band, I think it's probably all the guitar you'll ever really need.
    I remember the blond 371's were very hard to come by a while back. You got yourself a real beauty. Have fun with it.
    Thanks for sharing. Recording good clips like yours requires patience, calm nerves and talent. You got it all!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the kind words, Joe! No way to get a production blonde so I had to have one custom made - that's why the long wait.
    The only thing I will change are the knobs - gold will just look much mo' better but other than that...no! It's great as it is!

User Info Menu

hi,

i am looking at one of these to purchase.

still loving it?

User Info Menu

I love that, Tommy ... damn, it sounds great, nice crisp lows without being shrill on the highs.

User Info Menu

I have a AR371. After a pickup change (DiMarzio 36th Anniversary), I really like it. With flatwounds it really captures a lovely ES175ish vibe, a really smooth transition from crystal clear highs, to punchy compressed mids, to a rich woody low end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hodshonf
    hi,

i am looking at one of these to purchase.

still loving it?
    Yes - absolutely - excellent guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I love that, Tommy ... damn, it sounds great, nice crisp lows without being shrill on the highs.
    Thanks Darrell!

User Info Menu

Congratulations!...and, nicely played.

My 371 is a 'burst. Your blonde is prettier!