The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    Congratulations!...and, nicely played.

My 371 is a 'burst. Your blonde is prettier!
    Thanks! I think the sunburst looks good, too but I have such a soft spot for blondes when it comes to ES style guitars!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tommo, I've just been listening to your video. What a sound! Really beautiful. And, I might add, what a pleasure it is to hear someone who is not trying to put in everything they have learned into a solo. I could hear the tune when you weren't playing it, a rare thing indeed. I love melody more than gymnastics, so this is my kind of playing. Miles could do it, Lester Young too - two of my heroes.

I wonder if if commissioning an instrument from Eastman is the best way to get a pristine, perfectly executed guitar? Yours looks perfect.

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument with a beautiful tone! And you can even play it outside where live, so what more to wish for? Enjoy it in good health! And keep those clips coming!

User Info Menu

TOMMO
    Congrats on your NGD , a great instrument and played exceptionally well
    you have certainly done it justice with the video. THe Eadstmans are
    very good instruments. Sadly had to sacrifice my 910CE some years ago
    to px for my L5CES. Have yourself a Very Merry Christmas

Best SF

User Info Menu

What a surprise to see my old thread come alive after some time and with such nice comments to boot. I thank all of you for your kind words and compliments - they are much appreciated - especially from consummate players like you are. Thanks again!
    The Eastman gets played each and every day. I don't know if they took extra care because its finish was a one-off but in the months I have had it I haven't found a single fault - it's an excellent instrument regardless of country of origin.

Rob: thanks again for posting your video where you played the CE 371 in my thread when I was asking opinions on Eastman guitars - helped me make a decision.

User Info Menu

Hey all, I'm looking for pickup suggestions for my Eastman AR372 (2 humbuckers). The stock pickups aren't bad, but being home all the time these days has me wanting to tinker and upgrade them. What might you guys suggest?

I'm leaning currently towards Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers or Antiquities. Any thoughts on how these compare to each other?

User Info Menu

Gibson 57 classics? Obvious but good.

User Info Menu

I put a Bare Knuckle Blue Note P90 on the 371, same guitar, just one pickup. Sounded great:

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I've had 57 Classic before and while I very much liked them, I want to try another.

I've thought hard about a humbucker sized p90 but I think I'm just too accustomed to humbuckers. Drooled over the Barr Knuckle offerings in general, but more than I want to spend.

Anyways, I've decided to try the Seth Lovers and had a Reverb offer accepted.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 04-09-2020 at 11:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I am really enjoying the Wilde (Bill Lawrence) L-90s albeit in a solid body. They have the warmth of a PAF but clarity more along the lines of a single coil. Best of both worlds. I have the 4.0 in the neck position and the 6.0 in the bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I put a Bare Knuckle Blue Note P90 on the 371, same guitar, just one pickup. Sounded great:

That sounds great. What amp are you using in that video? Also, what is the hum from that P90 like?

I have the AR371 too. Am thinking of replacing the pickup with either the Creamery Charlie Christian pickup (I was very taken by tone in one of your other videos!) or the Gabojo Mr. 2000HB Dearmond style pickup.

User Info Menu

I just use a Yamaha THR10C for my amp. I don't play loud enough for the hum to be noticeable.

The Creamery CC pickup is now my favourite. I no longer have the 371, but if I did, the CCC would be my first choice of pup.

User Info Menu

I picked up my Eastman SB59 today and while I didn't play a lot of jazz on that guitar, I was pretty excited about it today when I gave it a good try. My SB59 has Amber Spirit of '59 pups in it and these are really amazing. Very full, yet with absolute string separation. They're pretty expensive, but you might want to check them out.
    Amber Pickups - Humbucker

The website is in German only though.

User Info Menu

I just ordered a CC pickup from the Creamery for my AR371 and can't wait to hear how it sounds.

FYI their CC pickups now come in a black cover that has more of a traditional and recognisable CC look.

Custom Handwound Replacement Vintage and Modern Humbucker Pickups: Charlie Christian - Humbucker Size

User Info Menu

I hope you like it as much as I like mine. I'd be interested in how it sounds in an AR371.

User Info Menu

I've been enjoying my AR372CE.
    I was considering installing a tremelo, but I'm nervous of doing this on a large full hollow archtop. I see the bigsby and GFS (much cheaper) versions would technically work. However I am concerned that the break angle would not be steep enough. They both also have versions with a bar to pull down the break angle, but this drills into the guitar and I think that would require a center block (which I don't have). So I think I would have to use a simple version which would leave me with a shallow break angle (and likely requiring a roller bridge, or anything other than wood (for risk of carving into it). I'd really like a trem, but the more I think about it, sounds like I'd be getting into a possible world of headaches.

I have Thomastik swings (flatwound) on it. I was considering trying the Thomastic BeBop (roundwound). WHen they say the strings have a silk inlay, is that just the ends of the string to keep the winding in place? Or do they actually contain silk inside the string, like silk & steel strings?
    Anyone try both of these stringsets in this guitar to compare? I like the flats for a smooth plugged in sound but was thinking maybe rounds would give a better acoustic quality for Frank Vignola style music with a bit of a gypsy kick.

Also, still using the stock PUPs, as I don't know enough about humbuckers or P90s to know if anything would be an upgrade for me. Are the stock humbuckers of the PAF variety? I don't tend to do much sound processing on this guitar anyway...that's what the strat is for. Maybe some day when I'm more experienced with Jazz I'll look into some P90s or a PAF.

User Info Menu

“I'm seriously impressed with these "student model" Eastman guitars.”

Are these Eastman models seriously considered “student models”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It came with .015s omg that must hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    So what better day than f-hole friday to take delivery of a new archtop f-hole guitar? - perfect!

Been waiting for this for close to six months. It's an Eastman AR372CE and although their 2017 catalog lists the natural finish as an option I had to put in a custom order - but I have such a soft spot for blonde ES guitars I took that route and I don't regret it one minute...

Excellent workmanship - I've been looking up and down and side to side and front to back and couldn't find a single flaw.
    It is extremely resonant (probably not to everybody's liking) and amazingly loud acoustically - the top seems to be quite thin compared to other laminate archtops. It has been siad that it's very bright sounding and I can see why - not to everybody's liking but highs are more easily dialed out than in....

Neck size and profile are just the way I like 'em - a good round beefy profile - very comfortable to play. Specs say that the neck is a bit wider than the usual 42 mm but I can't feel a difference - will have to measure.

The fretwork is absolutely excellent - no fretting out or buzzing anywhere and the fret ends are smooth and round. What else? It came with a set of D'Addario .015 - 0.52 strings but they were round wound so the first thing I did was put on a set of flatwounds. Still in the process of tweaking the electric sound/tone to where I want it - playing through different amps - already lowered the pickups a bit. Vol and tone controls are also working smoothly as are the machine heads. (I will change the knobs, though. Gold top hats are what this thing needs! ). so here's a happy camper...

A couple of pics and I will try to do a video demo probably tomorrow if youtube will let me upload (I'm having problems here):

Attachment 45494

Attachment 45495

Attachment 45496

Nice binding:

Attachment 45497

Attachment 45498

I'd like to thank everybody who has offered their opinion and point of view on Eastman guitars in my other thread when I needed some input. It has been of great help in making my decision for this purchase.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    “I'm seriously impressed with these "student model" Eastman guitars.”

Are these Eastman models seriously considered “student models”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No - I would definitely consider them professional grade instruments.

User Info Menu

My AR-371 is superb! Nothing student or entry level AFAIAC.

User Info Menu

Another AR 371 fan here. It just ticks the boxes of tone and playability so well...

User Info Menu

Hi guys.
    Just for clarification, the "student model" quote was from Eastmans website at that time.

Cheers, RonD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Hi guys.
    Just for clarification, the "student model" quote was from Eastmans website at that time.

Cheers, RonD
    Understood. Typical of Eastman's understated and humble marketing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop

Found this old thread while researching an AR372ce. This is the best tone I’ve heard from an Eastman. I’m surprised it’s a single coil pickup, being so thick. Mabye I need to adjust my expectations of what single coils can achieve as that’s pretty much the tone I’m after.