The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

Yikes. A floating neck and set-in bridge. Bizarre.

Gibson Les Paul Supreme - 2014, Heritage Cherry Sunburst | Sweetwater.com

Gibson Les Paul Supreme Jazz Hybrid-lpsupreme-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On a chambered solid body ta boot.
    Looks cool.

User Info Menu

I think it's a fail. A floater on a chambered solid body...no adjustable poles and limited adjustability of the pickup itself? I have a chambered Les Paul (but without soundholes) and it does not have much acoustic volume (more than a non-chambered one though). I don't think the floater is going to give it anything one couldn't achieve by adjusting a built-in pickup.

User Info Menu

Another epic Gibson "innovation" fail. Why the hell would I want a floating pickup on a Les Paul? Aesthetic nightmare too.

I did see they reissued the 225 though...not everybody on the board is wearing Bad Idea jeans...

User Info Menu

Yeah... not feelin' it.

User Info Menu

8 lbs. what now?

User Info Menu

The Sea-Foam Green LP Florentine Supreme was shown at 2014 NAMM, I believe.

I have taken a shine to it, in an odd way. Jangly, sparkly, sweet and creamy, I don't know. A Johnny Smith with adjustable pole pieces would have been a better idea.

If I find one used for under $3000, I may buy it. Guess I will sit on me hands till about 2015. Rootbeer or Sea-Foam Green? Think I will take Rootbeer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli
    8 lbs. what now?
    8 pounds 14oz. Ocean Water.

Changed my mind.

A Johnny A Custom would do me well.

User Info Menu

Chancers: "can play in any style from country to metal - and anything in between."

My first immediate impression was that is was ugly, and expensive ugly. But then I thought I'd love to give it a try...

User Info Menu

To someone who doesn't relate, it really is the worst of both worlds. To someone who can make it work, I don't think there's much out there to compete. I put a Johnny Smith on an Ibanez AM50 once. I related.

Now the old Gibson Florentines and Epiphone Elite semi hollows were really nice, versatile and pretty. They made them 2 years and dropped them for lack of interest. By the way, the Florentines were really nice. David

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I think it's a fail. A floater on a chambered solid body...no adjustable poles and limited adjustability of the pickup itself? I have a chambered Les Paul (but without soundholes) and it does not have much acoustic volume (more than a non-chambered one though). I don't think the floater is going to give it anything one couldn't achieve by adjusting a built-in pickup.
    Really. How foolish. Let's put a floater in the neck position so as to not impede the "vibration" of the thick maple top. Even though we're attaching a set-in bridge hummer and a stop tail. Again, bizarre.

I mean, I like the idea of a chambered-f-hole LP, but with a floater on the thick maple top? What are they thinking???

User Info Menu

To be fair, Gibson's blurb did state "can play in any style from country to metal - and anything in between." Is jazz in between country and metal? They really should have made this instead: 1998 Gibson Custom Shop "Wes Paul Custom" Les Paul . Put a floater on it anyway. It's spruce.

Is the fretboard of ebony or Richlite? I thought Gibson stopped using ebony except in the L5 and the Super 400 starting from 2012.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-05-2014 at 02:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I like it, but I like Les Pauls.

User Info Menu

Wes Paul Custom? I don't think I wike it.
    Spwoose top.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 06-05-2014 at 03:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Wes Paul Custom? I don't think I wike it.
    David
    Teacher! David said WIKE. I think he is mocking me. I wike white wice and I am not a pwick.

User Info Menu

I have liked the Heritage Millennium Ultra since I heard Wolfgang Muthspiel playing a similar model with Brian Blade in some youtube videos.

The Gibson looks like a bad clone of the Millennium, with some garish twists for distinction. The flaming is corny and gauche, the wrong fret inlays looks garish and out of place, as does the uptownish purposeless gold floater.

So close and yet so wrong. Where's the elegance?

Heritage, on the other hand, did this style right, imho.

Gibson Les Paul Supreme Jazz Hybrid-millennium_ultra_std_vo_v-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 06-05-2014 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Actually, the Gibson CS-356 would have suited the Jazz Hybrid moniker a lot better. A floating Johnny Smith may have been a nice alternative on the CS-356 too.

Who makes these decisions at Gibson anyway?

And these guys were sort of a little ahead of the game: http://u.jimdo.com/www57/o/s4ccd0dd3...imoto-blue.jpg .
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-05-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Yet another terrible idea from Gibson. I will put that alongside the 'Midtown' and the Pat Martino Sig from the 90's.

I mean what is it supposed to do, that all the other guitars associated with the different genres can't? (thats rhetorical because we know the answer is nothing)

Does anyone really need a guitar that can do everything and if this can, how many tele players will that piss off?

And have you seen the thickness of that top?!!

Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Teacher! David said WIKE. I think he is mocking me. I wike white wice and I am not a pwick.
    Fowgive me dewailing this thwead but it WAS a Wes Paul:

Mmmm, back to the peanut gallery
    David

Quote Originally Posted by GoergeBenson
    Yet another terrible idea from Gibson. I will put that alongside the 'Midtown' and the Pat Martino Sig from the 90's.
    Disagree about the PM Sig model. Very cool small-bodied single-cut semi. For those who feel a LP is just too small.

User Info Menu

I used to have a Millenium, much better value then the Gibson model. I got it at he same time i got a Heritage Eagle and eventually sold the Millenium.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I have liked the Heritage Millennium Ultra since I heard Wolfgang Muthspiel playing a similar model with Brian Blade in some youtube videos.

The Gibson looks like a bad clone of the Millennium, with some garish twists for distinction. The flaming is corny and gauche, the wrong fret inlays looks garish and out of place, as does the uptownish purposeless gold floater.

So close and yet so wrong. Where's the elegance?

Heritage, on the other hand, did this style right, imho.

Gibson Les Paul Supreme Jazz Hybrid-millennium_ultra_std_vo_v-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoergeBenson
    And have you seen the thickness of that top?!!

Lol
    Actually, it only looks about as thick as the top on my Andersen Streamline (he tends to use less arched but thicker soundboards). Carved plates are often surprisingly thick, at least at the f-holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Disagree about the PM Sig model. Very cool small-bodied single-cut semi. For those who feel a LP is just too small.
    Isn't that called an Es-137 (throw in the 135 without the stop tailpiece)

odd model... what is the 'jazz-type' thing that a floater provides on a solid body guitar? ... hmm..

but who knows, maybe there are some massive vibrations that this idea sets free... gotta find me a seafoam green model to check it out... ;-)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPSU14?siid=131020

User Info Menu

I think it looks good.