The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I find a Gibson ES-175 1991 has no "Made in USA" stamp on the back of the headstock.

Is it fake?

Gibson ES-175 no "Made in USA" stamp-es-1752-jpgGibson ES-175 no "Made in USA" stamp-es-175-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Gibsun"

User Info Menu

I have a '81 ES-175, and the "O" is closed.

User Info Menu

Here is another 1991 ES-175 for comparison : 1991 Gibson ES-175 .

No enclosed "O". No "Made in USA" stamp either. Compare the font of the serial numbers and the way they are stamped at the back of the headstock.

Without the benefit of examining the rest of the ES-175 posted, I daresay that it is a genuine Gibson ES-175.

Made nine years apart and a different model but look at the Gibson logo; no enclosed "O" and NO serial number stamped at the back of the headstock at that! http://www.archtop.com/ac_10L4CES.html . But it is a genuine Gibson. It is mine.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-05-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Thank you.

User Info Menu

Is there a way to check the serial on Gibson site?

User Info Menu

Last edited by kawa; 06-05-2014 at 06:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    Is there a way to check the serial on Gibson site?
    The use of serial numbers to validate if a guitar is a Gibson fake or not is unreliable as the copiers use "real" serial numbers to recreate exactly as the Gibson plant would. I know, as I own one, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom or Fibson as some folks would say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    The use of serial numbers to validate if a guitar is a Gibson fake or not is unreliable as the copiers use "real" serial numbers to recreate exactly as the Gibson plant would. I know, as I own one, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom or Fibson as some folks would say.
    That's the truth.

There are certain marks that would pick out a forgery from the genuine article though.

User Info Menu

Whaddya know. Sez "Gibsun" here too; no enclosed "O": http://www.jaguitar.org/JAM08/ja2.JPG .

Gotta be on the lookout for these cunning forgers...

User Info Menu

I agree with Jabberwocky . . . ( ). There's nothing I can see in the few pics that were shown to lead me to believe this is anything other than a real Gibson 175

User Info Menu

Do any of you know when the closed 'O' was switched to the open 'O'?

thanks
    edh

User Info Menu

You can a search of all the vintages of Gibson guitars sold by site:archtop.com amd track the changes in the font of the logo. It is more interesting to track the placement of the dot above the letter "i".

As far as I can tell, the "o" was never ever fully enclosed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    2010 Gibson L-4CES . But it is a genuine Gibson. Is mine.
    That's your L4CES? Holy crap, that's gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    That's your L4CES? Holy crap, that's gorgeous!
    Yeah, I got it from Joe V. in January/February 2011. It was a few months old new at that time. Couldn't resist it; it sez Wes to me in a 16" package. Never figured out why the previous owner sold it so soon. It bears a serial number that states October 2010. There is only another one like it. MF is trying to sell for $10 234.00. I paid NOTHING remotely close to that. I don't have the money for nice guitars that the possibly odious rich do so back to huddle with the great unwashed hoi polloi.

(MF claims that it has solid carved maple rim and back. And Gibson Customer Service affirms it. They look like laminated maple to me. If they were sold maple then it would no longer be an L-4CES, would it? I still maintain that somebody made a mistake. They are of laminated maple. I have a 2006 ES-175 Natural and its maple has a figure like that.)
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175 no "Made in USA" stamp-gibsonl4cesfront-jpg Gibson ES-175 no "Made in USA" stamp-gibsonl4cesback-jpg Gibson ES-175 no "Made in USA" stamp-gibsonl4cesmusiciansfriend-jpg 
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-08-2014 at 12:21 AM.

User Info Menu

This scares the shit out of me and you all know that I can be full of it: Croxguitars upgrades .

Upgrades, my ass/arse. This is outright enabling forgeries.

Don't get any ideas, fellas. I'm pretty damn good with hexes and stuff.

User Info Menu

Crazy man.
    Last edited by Dave70; 06-11-2014 at 09:41 AM.