The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I always want to get an archtop which has darker tone as Herb Ellis or Jim Hall. However, I couldn't afford to buy a Gibson.

Ibanez 80s MIJ archtops are also rarely available in Australian Market.

I am think of these two : GB10 and LGB30

An used GB10 is $1000 dollar more than Chinese LGB30.

What is your opinion?

Ibanez GB10 or LGB30-ibanez-gb10-george-benson-jpgIbanez GB10 or LGB30-942307_10152800242625603_1482541566_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Falling Leaves.
    If it is within your budget Imho a used GB10 would be a good buy,
    I have had two ,and have owned a GB100 for many years. they are
    extremely good instruments, great necks ,fingerboard & comfortable
    to play and the floating pick ups are excellent. They bear good
    comparison to Gibsons of which I have several.
    If I was still able to Gig I would use my GB100 as first choice.
    Good luck in your search I hope you find the right instrument for you.

regards Silverfoxx

User Info Menu

If you are after a dark, fat sound a guitar with floating pickups may not be your first choice. GB10s are awesome guitars though ... Comfortable, big sounding, great neck, super build quality.

Anyone tried LGB30 yet?

Thanks Silverfoxx and Frank

User Info Menu

Don't think you can go wrong with the LGB30 for the price. Never tried one but I have owned a GB10 which was a nice instrument but didn't suit me so well. The floating pickups might not be what you want. Also don't rule out the ibanez pm2 or the AF155.

How do compare AF155 or PM2 with GB10? If you played them before....

User Info Menu

I played a af155 recently and I own a GB10. The af155 sounded thin to me, playability was pretty good though.

Thanks Mark,

This is similar to what I found on the youtube, but I never have a chance to play an AF155 or LGB30.

I like thicker sound indeed.

User Info Menu

I would say wait till you can find an deal on a GB-10 or you have the money.

I have a GB-10 and a GB-20 and they are excellent guitars, both I waited and found good deal on.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I would say wait till you can find an deal on a GB-10 or you have the money.

I have a GB-10 and a GB-20 and they are excellent guitars, both I waited and found good deal on.
    Yes, I am still struggling to make up my mind for which guitar I should pick.

I can find out these deals locally:

Used Gibson ES-175 (91 ~2005) at $AUD 3400-3700 (Approximately $USD 3150)
    Used Ibanez GB10 1994 MIJ at $AUD 2700 (Approximately $USD 2430)
    New Ibanez LGB30 at $USD 1100

Are they good deals? Both GB10 and LGB30 is within my budget but not sure whether the GB10 worth $1430 more than the LGB30 coz I heard a number of good comments on this LGB30. Unfortunately, I am not able to find one LGB30 to test it. It has to be ordered from overseas.

I wouldn't have said the Es-175 was a good deal. You should be picking those up, from that era, for around $2500-2750.
    I sold a blonde one recently for £1750.
    The GB is priced ok, for Aus I guess. They usually go for about £1,200 in the UK and $1,750-2,500 in the U:S

This is a good example. The seller can't get £1,450, this is already its second time round.
    He will probably sell for £1,200 and if I was buying for myself, I would get this one.

Vintage Ibanez George Benson GB10 Archtop Guitar 1983 | eBay

Its just slightly odd, cause you seem to be picking 3 guitars that will all sound different.

The Gb-10 is actually quite a dead sounding archtop. I personally have never owned one because I don't really like them. I've wanted to, but just don't. They don't have enough 'Archtop' goodness for my personal taste. That is, they aren't acoustically pleasing enough, for me.

The Es-175 will have a bigger sound but usually with an annoying trade off. They aren't as balanced as the GB10. By that I mean they don't sound as round in the bass and treble. In fact I find they can be too harsh on the trebles and too muddy on the bass.

So the LGB30 is the one in between. I personally think that for the price, it is the one to go for.
    You won't get the full acoustic depth of the es-175 but I think the amplified tone, will be more balanced and firmer in the bass and treble.
    You won't gret the practicality of the GB10 (live playing) but you will get a better acoustic sound.

Not to mention on the LGB, you will get an ebony finger board +1 over the Es-175. A 3 piece maple neck + 1 over the ES-175 and it should be set up and play like greased lighten +1 over the Es-175

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I presume you are a fan of Benson coz your ID is GB. However, interestingly, you don't prefer the sound of GB10.

Yes, I agree with you, I can't find a good deal on Gibson archtop in Australiand and that's why I have to narrow down choices into Ibanez.

Personally, I really love the dark sound from laminate boxes. Since I have an Eastman John Pisano, I dont need another one which sound superior in acoustic.

Actually your right, I am a huge Benson fan but do not like his range of guitars. Well the GB20 would be my only interest.

Without going back over your original post I take it your looking for a 16" or smaller guitar, with a dark sound.
    Otherwise, theres plenty of options in the 17" range.

The darkest sounding 16 ES-175 type I played, was a Japanese made Washburn J10 but you won't find one.
    The Ibanez 2355 is very dark and since you want an ES-175, it would be my first choice. They should go somewhere in between the LGB-30 and the GB-10 price wise.
    If you get the spruce one (2355 not 2455) it will be even darker.
    Last edited by GoergeBenson; 06-07-2014 at 09:13 PM.

User Info Menu

The GB-10 is incredibly versatile, plays wonderfully. Newer models have very high output pickups, but it's a nice compromise between a 175 and an L5. I will never get rid of mine.

The Metheny models will sound warmer, but won't quite get you that snappy Benson tone. You will need more than one guitar someday, but I would personally start with the GB-10. (and wish that I had, as well.)

That snappy benson tone can best be achieved by a Guild SF3 (pref without bigsby)

User Info Menu

I was able to play a LGB30 today and while nice I would certainly compare it to my PM35 in terms of build quality and playability. They are very nice guitars for the money and worth every penny. IMO the GB-10s that I've played in the past are a big step up in quality, playability and sound. They seemed to be on about the same level as my ES-175. There's my 2 cents. I really hope the opportunity pops up where you can play them side by side.

User Info Menu

Don't forget the Ibanez AG95, same body as the GB10 for much less.....

User Info Menu

Just for fun, slap some flatwound 13s on your Pisano (? is that right?) and get a .70 gauge pick, (Fender or dunlop medium) and see what that sounds like, if you are after Benson tones.

As long as you buy used, the Ibanez' will probably keep their value, so if it doesn't work out, you can try something else. A near mint GB-10 should not lose value, if you buy it used. Not sure if the Little Georgey's have been around long enough to gain a reputation, plus the Chinese origin might be a turn off for some.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Just for fun, slap some flatwound 13s on your Pisano (? is that right?) and get a .70 gauge pick, (Fender or dunlop medium) and see what that sounds like, if you are after Benson tones.

As long as you buy used, the Ibanez' will probably keep their value, so if it doesn't work out, you can try something else. A near mint GB-10 should not lose value, if you buy it used. Not sure if the Little Georgey's have been around long enough to gain a reputation, plus the Chinese origin might be a turn off for some.

Completely agree yebdox' logic ,Imo also the GB10's are better quality,& have a very good reputation , also if you are
    unable to try an LGB30 you will be taking a chance importing one without first playing one.
    I also concur that would not part with my GB100 either , it has given no trouble in the years I've owned it and is
    one of the easiest guitars to play .believe me , Ive had a JP20.PM2 ,GB10(2). GB200 etc plus countless top quality Gibsons.

Silverfoxx

Thanks for your reply,

I just spot outed a 2355 and 2635 at $USD 1450 or £GBP 860

But I am not sure what is the difference between these two archtops.

I also have a little bit lucky to see a 2011 ES-165 with floater selling at $USD2520 or £GBP 1500. Gibson archtop is rarely seem in Australian market.

They are from AU but not my city, in other words, I can't test it if I place an order.

I reckon floater is not a good option for myself, as mentioned by one post from above, floater wont give me dark sound. doesn't it?

HI yebdox,

I will take your advice to load some heavy strings on the Pisano. Currently, she has 10-48 and sounds accoustic flattop. Not close to electric sound.

I only have a chance to try a GB10 and Heritage H550 or new ES-175. No other archtop is available in the local market unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Falling_leaves
    Thanks for your reply,

I just spot outed a 2355 and 2635 at $USD 1450 or £GBP 860

But I am not sure what is the difference between these two archtops.

I also have a little bit lucky to see a 2011 ES-165 with floater selling at $USD2520 or £GBP 1500. Gibson archtop is rarely seem in Australian market.

They are from AU but not my city, in other words, I can't test it if I place an order.

I reckon floater is not a good option for myself, as mentioned by one post from above, floater wont give me dark sound. doesn't it?
    The Ibanez at that price is fine. Can you link the page? I wanna check the condition. Its a dark guitar and will leave you with some good change left over.

The only issue is, when you mean dark, it gets a little complicated.
    You can get a nicely voiced clear sounding archtop (probably hand made), or you can get a dark (meaning dead) laminate.
    The dark were talking is 'dead' and that should be obvious by the contraction of the guitar (Ibanez 2355/Es165)

If you want an acrhtop that is dead/dark but still retains an archtop sound and feel, that cannot be replicated by say a semi, or solid body, then the Ibanez 2355 is a great great choice.

the Es-165 is also a dark sounding guitar (to me) but if you want to edge on the safe side, then the Ibanez 2355 is the better choice. It also has hubuckers that you seem to have already 'correctly' identified as being important.

Its just a case of the guitars condition.

User Info Menu

I own an Ibanez lgb30, and a PM2. the gb30 rules. plays like butta. sounds less warm than the PM2, but a great sound. I also went and got the new fender gb amp.. wow....
    I have been struggling with what high end archtop to get, still really can't decide, But I am certain I will get a gb10, and maybe an lgb300.. I can't put the lgb30 down....