The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Zombie thread, but I thought a couple things that may help someone searching out there could be noted. I picked up a LGB30 a couple months ago and I just love it. I love longer scale guitars but after playing one of these in my local shop I decided to go for one. I'm getting old and it doesn't hurt. For the $ it's a work of art for sure, but more importantly it a great playing guitar.
    -it's a warm sounding guitar. It's the wood+construction and just the way it is. Not so much so that you can't get any bite on the higher strings. But definitely basically a warmish tone.
    -The controls and pots work very well. It seems that having smooth tone adjustment is a rarity now days, but this guitar has a nice taper from bass to treble without jumps.
    -The bridge is floating and you will have to do something about that or it will move a bit after a few hours of playing. At least mine did.
    -The wood covered tailpiece is nice, but it is a bit difficult to get the ball end in the tailstock when changing strings. Not too bad though.
    -The fretwork is great and everything is smooth. With a fret rocker I couldn't find any with more than maybe .001" height difference.
    -The Super 58's are nice pickups. I replaced the neck one with a bit hotter pickup and Alnico ll poles. I'm not sure I improved anything but it allowed me to back the pickup down so I don't tap it with a pick.
    My only real complaint, and it's just a personal thing, is I would like a bit more depth to the neck. I wouldn't call it real thin, but tends toward that. I like some fullness in the neck profile.
    -To my surprise, the fingerboard radius is 10" which I love. I thought it would be 12" based on the specs. I have both plastic and metal radius gages.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

it's a shame this review wasn't available when this dialogue was up and running.

I think it ends the debate as to whether the GB10 can deliver a thick, warm, snappy tone.

This is about as snappy as it gets..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    It's all about budget .. If you're more comfortable with the price of the GB30 then buy that .. The cheaper Ibanez guitar are a bang for the buck and feel pretty good. Not as good as the MIJ ones, but pretty good.

The pups are a bit bland, but a new pup won't ruin you

That being said, with my budget I'd go with a used GB10
    I was.. but now I'm looking at a Gibson L5 or similar.

I have a LGB30 coming in next week. I played it a couple of weeks ago in a bid store around the corner in cologne and was able to compare also to the GB10 SE and some Epiphones (Imperior, ES 335, Joe Pass) and some Gibson ES335

I hooked up to a Roland blues Cube and the LGB just stuck to my hands. It delivers exactly the Jazz Sound I am looking for. Warm, yet crispy, implacable intonation across the fretboard, rich harmonics and a super easy handling. A lot of that already unplugged. The neck was just amazingly easy, the action perfect for me.

The GB10 SE I’d say came along with a similar sound, a bit fatter maybe, and I almost fell in love with both of them. The final call for the LGB was due to the better handling. I just couldn’t get over how easy chord changes and melody flows came along.

similar experiences I had when I was purchasing my Duesenberg Double Cut.

so, I am looking forward to the Jazzbox coming in and keep the thread alive for any future buyers.

User Info Menu

I've owned an AG75, and have been playing a GB10em for the last few months. Both are great cheap guitars, and the GB10em plays exactly how I like, low action and slim neck (the AG75 had a slightly fatter neck). This week I got a LGB30 and WOW, I love this guitar! Neck & action feel identical to the GB10em, but the tone is fatter and deeper, exactly what I was hoping for. Played it on a gig last night and got a bunch of compliments on my sound. It is a beautiful looking guitar. I have never played a proper GB10, but I am satisfied with the LGB30 and wouldn't want to go back to what I'd assume would be a thinner tone from a smaller body & floating pups.

Ibanez GB10 or LGB30-gtrs-2-23-jpg
    Ibanez GB10 or LGB30-gtrs-2-23b-jpg

User Info Menu

UPDATE; curiosity got the better of me and last week I bought & returned a GB10se. It is a higher quality version of the GB10em I had (duh). I am just not a fan of the tone of the floating mini hums and smaller body. I do love the ergonomics of the smaller body, but my larger LGB30 has a deeper rounder tone that is fantastic. Last year I replaced the goofy looking stock wooden tailpiece with a normal looking one from Guitar Fetish (my tech did it, as the holes didn't line up). I will never sell this guitar!

Ibanez GB10 or LGB30-lgb30-jpg

PS - I've been told on another forum that the GB10 is the best sounding model, but I am satisfied w/ my LGB30. And TBH, with the ~ retail prices being GB10em $700, LGB30 $1200, and GB10se $1400, and the GB10 jumping up to $3600, it's not in my budget to find out