The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I really love how Rhodes sound and I'd like to be able to replicate that sound on my guitar. Is there a set of effect pedals that would allow that ? Or maybe a midi synthetizer ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Boss GT-100 does the Fender Rhodes sound very well IMO. You can get a Hammond B3 thing going too.

User Info Menu

Either a guitar synth (if you have the $$$) or an MXR 'Script' Logo Phaser (if you are on a budget).

Also, you may want to check out a Uni-Vibe (tons of clones on the market now)

User Info Menu

years ago when i used a guitar synth
    I had a Keyboards of the 60s and 70s card for the Roland jv1080
    and it sounded great on guitar.
    always wanted to go back and do that again.
    The varied attack of a Rhodes works well on guitar.

User Info Menu

Hammond B3 or FR sound out of a guitar...Seriously fellas?

User Info Menu

I always thought Ed Bickert sounded a little Rhodes-y, when he played chords.

Lets see...start with a solid or semi hollow for sustain, play chords with fingers vs. "Strum", maybe a little phaser and tremolo if desired. That'll get you in the ballpark.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions, I will play around with the phaser effects on podfarm and see what I can get. I'll leave the synthesizer option out, since it involves modifying my guitar.

Blkjazz : what effects do you use on the GT-100 to replicate a fender rhodes ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Jones
    Miles Davis : "Why did you play so long, man?"
    John Coltrane : "It took that long to get it all in."
    OT.

Your signature text above reminds me of a couple of other Miles quotes:

Miles: "Why do you play so long?"
    Coltrane: "Often I just find it hard to stop."
    Miles: "Have you considered taking the mouthpiece out of your mouth?".

Miles: "Some of those saxophonists play an awful lot of notes. They should get in touch with Note-aholics Anonymous."

User Info Menu

The Rhodes is a sound that I try to emulate. For me, a Tele bridge pickup with the tone rolled way off gets me closest. Also, pushing the amp to be on the brink, but not quite to power amp distortion helps to create a full, clean sound.

User Info Menu

Prof, there is an electric piano patch that is "country preacher" close. The patch was predefined. All I did was kill the preamp and go direct to my Deluxe or Twin Reverb. I'll check and see exactly what is in the chain and let you know.
    Last edited by blkjazz; 06-01-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: explanation

User Info Menu

I adore the sound and tone of a Rhodes, or almost any electric piano really. Wish more people would play them.

As far as guitar pedals to get close? Eh, other than using a synth, not gonna nail it. But check out the EHX Wiggler and it's "Wurl" vibrato setting. It does have that sort of feel. Otherwise, I like to mess with the Earthquaker Devices Depths vibe.

User Info Menu

Btw, if you love Rhodes jazz, check out Tom Wetmore's "the desired effect."

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions, I will play around with the phaser effects on podfarm and see what I can get. I'll leave the synthesizer option out, since it involves modifying my guitar.

Blkjazz : what effects do you use on the GT-100 to replicate a fender rhodes ?

The secret is to not over do it with the phaser....make sure you have plenty of dry signal running

User Info Menu

Keyboardist's who don't have the luxury of owning a Hammond B3 with of course, the requisite outboard Leslie rotating speaker, own a Motion Sound Pro 3x.

It's lightweight, meaning portable, and actually duplicates the B3 sound with an authentic rotating speaker. Apparently, guitarists use them too, although having never heard a guitar being played through an MS, and before reading this thread, I'd have thought, what would be the point? But hmmm....U learn something new every day!

This one's cheap...Some 15 years ago I paid $1500 for the original Motion Sound Pro:

Motion Sound PRO3X Rotating Leslie Speaker | eBay

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 06-01-2014 at 03:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I always thought Ed Bickert sounded a little Rhodes-y, when he played chords.

Lets see...start with a solid or semi hollow for sustain, play chords with fingers vs. "Strum", maybe a little phaser and tremolo if desired. That'll get you in the ballpark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Encinitastubes
    The Rhodes is a sound that I try to emulate. For me, a Tele bridge pickup with the tone rolled way off gets me closest. Also, pushing the amp to be on the brink, but not quite to power amp distortion helps to create a full, clean sound.
    I agree, and the phaser or rotary/tremolo is just the icing on the cake, not indispensable.
    Check Ed Bickert or some Ted Greene videos, just plain Fender sound with the trebles rolled off.

Playing harp harmonics / artificial harmonics also brings a lot on the table.

In my opinion this is more in the spirit of a FR than a somehow a little tacky GK midi guitar approach or smears of univibe, rotary, etc ... Even with some pure modeling, that is no static samples, it is still not as interesting as a real guitar and your fingers, and does not have as good a response to touch, of course.

For a Hammond B3, sure, you can't do without effects, à la Danny Gatton, but a FR is somehow easier to get on the guitar.

Actually if i had to use an effect, the first i would try to use is a discreet auto-wah with a short attack time and that responds to light/heavy touch. Then maybe a very tiny dose of "intelligent" ring modulator, as on the Boss GT pedalboards.

Voilà, je crois que bonsoir à tous.
    Last edited by xuoham; 06-01-2014 at 11:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Keyboardist's who don't have the luxury of owning a Hammond B3 with of course, the requisite outboard Leslie rotating speaker, own a Motion Sound Pro 3x.

It's lightweight, meaning portable, and actually duplicates the B3 sound with an authentic rotating speaker. Apparently, guitarists use them too, although having never heard a guitar being played through an MS, and before reading this thread, I'd have thought, what would be the point? But hmmm....U learn something new every day!

This one's cheap...Some 15 years ago I paid $1500 for the original Motion Sound Pro:

Motion Sound PRO3X Rotating Leslie Speaker | eBay

Does that first guy ever play the guitar?

Rhodes tone ain't got NOTHING to do with a leslie.

I like the auto wah idea...get a little "chew" on the attack, like an actual Rhodes.

User Info Menu

I like what an older analog chorus stompbox can do to get a Rhodes-like sound, but the Rhodes players all had their own unique sounds created by different amps and pedals. Like guitar, there doesn't seem to be any single standard sound.

This neat page addresses lots of the Rhodes sounds and has some sweet sounding audio clips. Classic Rhodes Effects

User Info Menu

I really love how Rhodes sound and I'd like to be able to replicate that sound on my guitar. Is there a set of effect pedals that would allow that ? Or maybe a midi synthetizer ?

Listen to Ed Bickert's earlier playing on his Tele with the single coil humbucker, such as his stuff with Paul Desmond. He gets a Rhodes-ish sound with that setup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

It's lightweight, meaning portable, and actually duplicates the B3 sound with an authentic rotating speaker. Apparently, guitarists use them too, although having never heard a guitar being played through an MS, and before reading this thread, I'd have thought, what would be the point?
    A dude I used to jam with occasionally ran his guitar through a Leslie- he nicknamed it "the Wobulator."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Listen to Ed Bickert's earlier playing on his Tele with the single coil humbucker, such as his stuff with Paul Desmond. He gets a Rhodes-ish sound with that setup.

What is this single coil humbucker of which you speak?