The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Wow those sound very convincing for a small coil humbucker

of course your great playing also helps a lot

they are a dual blade humbucker right ? Kind of like the Joe Barden's. But at $80 they are half the price.... I think I might order one and see how it does with my 69 tele thinline.
    Small coil humbucker or full range humb - not a point for any limitation of sound, if you know electrodynamics and know what you want to do.
    About Joe Barden and dual blade. Apg Telebucker not dual blade. We use different shapes of core and asymmetrical core technology (one string go to one coil). Also two main conception - really close to single coil sound from mini Humbucker and Dual Tone (like PAF humbucker or like single coil sounding, both mode without hum!) universal pickup, almost without compromise. This technology give as to complete all from chiken pickin to heavy metal or make any other custom project.
    Really, only Dimarzio and Bill Lawrence (wildepickups) seriously experimented in the field of mini humbuckers. SD, as usually do something between(for all people in the world!). Other make a copy without understanding what to do or do nothing. JB got a second life thanks for Danny Gatton and legend about single coil sounding humbucker, and this legend is very expensive.

Therefore, for Jazz players, decide to use mini humb without compromise, always was so difficult.
    Now,we try to change it
    ...about GFS style PU, this is like watch, can be from Swiss or from China.
    Last edited by apguitars; 05-22-2014 at 05:03 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teok
    You have the Dual Tone pickups? If you have the time I'd love to hear a clip of the pickup in single coil mode.
    I will make some clips today.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by apguitars
    Small coil humbucker or full range humb - not a point for any limitation of sound, if you know electrodynamics and know what you want to do.
    About Joe Barden and dual blade. Apg Telebucker not dual blade. We use different shapes of core and asymmetrical core technology (one string go to one coil). Also two main conception - really close to single coil sound from mini Humbucker and Dual Tone (like PAF humbucker or like single coil sounding, both mode without hum!) universal pickup, almost without compromise. This technology give as to complete all from chiken pickin to heavy metal or make any other custom project.
    Really, only Dimarzio and Bill Lawrence (wildepickups) seriously experimented in the field of mini humbuckers. SD, as usually do something between(for all people in the world!). Other make a copy without understanding what to do or do nothing. JB got a second life thanks for Danny Gatton and legend about single coil sounding humbucker, and this legend is very expensive.

Therefore, for Jazz players, decide to use mini humb without compromise, always was so difficult.
    Now,we try to change it
    Hi Andrey,
    That is very nice you are here on the forum and we can talk about Tele pick ups.
    When I play more my Tele I like more your great APG pickups...:-)

All The Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teok
    You have the Dual Tone pickups? If you have the time I'd love to hear a clip of the pickup in single coil mode.
    There are some new sound clips with APG pickups.
    I use d'addario 12 flatwound strings , 5 watt classA combo and Shure mike...
    1...humbucker mode
    2...singlecoil mode
    3...humbucker mode
    clips 2 and 3 have the same guitar,amp setups.

https://app.box.com/s/qzdwpz6qmshyyy646gb7
    https://app.box.com/s/ce1f0w0he2y6gnp7xo2z
    https://app.box.com/s/i46tvsn6adpzqdnreu1a

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Hi Andrey,
    That is very nice you are here on the forum and we can talk about Tele pick ups.
    When I play more my Tele I like more your great APG pickups...:-)

All The Best
    Kris
    thanks for the kind words, Kris.
    I'm here and I'm ready!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    Heh, last thing I want from a tele is a PAF sound, but then I'm a single-coil guy -- on a Strat I want to be able to hear my fingerprints

Nice playing though!
    About "single-coil guy" and "Strat"

Ibanez AT-100 Andy Timmons Signature after changing pickups to APG. Neck position - SBDT+N (similar to Kris, but for Strat, switched in humb mode) and Middle position - SBV-N (single Coil sounding).
    ...any combination is available

User Info Menu

Hey Kris, love the tone, just sent an email off to apg about ordering a set. What pots and capacitor values did you use with them? Do they suggest 250k or 500?

User Info Menu

ap@apguitars.com
    I use push-pull standards pots I am not sure about capacitor values because Andrey made mods.
    You have to write to Andrey -he is a very nice person.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I found the best jazz sounding pickups for my Telecaster.
    APG are fantastic pickups in single size hand made by Andrey Polyakov...
    Hey Chris,

Which model APG pickup did you use for the recordings?

Looks like there are 9 different tele pickup models. TELEBUCKER? ? zero noise, only TWANG! « Apg Products « AP Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    Hey Chris,

Which model APG pickup did you use for the recordings?

Looks like there are 9 different tele pickup models. TELEBUCKER? ? zero noise, only TWANG! « Apg Products « AP Guitars
    There is my custom set:
    Telebucker Dual Tone Plus Neck (TBDT+N) and Lead Dual Tone Vintage (LDT-V).
    Attachment 13694

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zedism
    Hey Kris, love the tone, just sent an email off to apg about ordering a set. What pots and capacitor values did you use with them? Do they suggest 250k or 500?
    All APG Mini HB tune up for working on 250k Volume & Tone. I made that, because it is standard configuration in Strat and Tele. But You can use 500k pots for Volume & Tone. Sound will more bright, selective and powerful. It's a solution for dark sounding guitars. Capacitor for tone is 22nf but can be 47nf-100nf for more round and warm sound.
    Generally, I ask my clients about his instrument and help with finding right configuration Volume-Tone-Cap.
    Regards

User Info Menu

I highly recomend to work w Andrey/APG.
    I use his pickups on my Tele and I play all my gigs on it.
    Just fantasic !
    I can create the sound what I want.
    The pickups on solid body instruments are most important.
    Best
    Kris
    ps.

All The Best

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tucson matt
    looked up PAF and came up with this, new to me:

The strange name (PAF) of the pickup was not intentional.....a sticker on a bottom plate of a pickup that said Patent Applied For...... Since it took more than four years to get a patent number, the unnamed pickup had been dubbed "PAF" by many guitarists during the period the application was pending, and this name continued even after the patent had been issued.
    Just curious, how old are you?

User Info Menu

Great round sound for a solid body. In case I missed it, what strings are you using?

User Info Menu

I've been using Telecasters as my main workhorse for over 30 years. I've heard some really good jazz tones from Teles but this is a huge leap in tone. Excellent playing as always, Kris. Andrey, you have done a great thing here. I will be in touch soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Great round sound for a solid body. In case I missed it, what strings are you using?
    Thanks.
    Sadowsky Pure Nickel 11".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    I've been using Telecasters as my main workhorse for over 30 years. I've heard some really good jazz tones from Teles but this is a huge leap in tone. Excellent playing as always, Kris. Andrey, you have done a great thing here. I will be in touch soon.
    Thanks a lot for nice coments.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

I'm not really a tele player now, but always have had a couple of teles around; the tele design, robustness and sound have always appealed. Anyway, on a whim I ordered the same set of APG dual sound pickups as Kris has ( perhaps without his mods, I don't know).Surprisingly, they arrived from Poland today - pretty fast.

First impressions are that these are really good. Andrey P has avoided the sound that you get with a conventional HB or rails pickup in a tele- it never sounded quite right to me- and these do a really good job of capturing both twang and 'paf' sounds, with no noise and good string balance on a 12 set with plain G. Especially interesting is the front pickup jazz sound; it's really impressive, and somehow captures some woodiness in the sound whilst staying tight in the bass.

I'd post a clip, but Kris has already done it...

I haven't tried it with a wound G yet - normally they require pole piece compensation on a full-size HB, so it will be interesting to see how it works with these

User Info Menu

congrats!

User Info Menu

more sounds on Tele& APG pickups from live gig...;-)
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

New generation of TELEBUCKER Pickups ready. What are You thinking about?
    Last edited by apguitars; 06-01-2015 at 03:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by apguitars
    New generation of TELEBUCKER Pickups ready. What are You thinking about?
    Sounds like Telecaster. what is new in the new generation of Telebucker?

User Info Menu

It's very good, that You say - Sounds like Telecaster, because any "synthetic" (Stack, Split or Mini humbucker) Single Coil have a problem with "Sounds like Single Coil". It's always compromise, one or more. New generation means that several compromises was less and I go ahead to target - "Sounds completely like Telecaster", but without hum . The same solution for Strat ready too.

User Info Menu

great!

User Info Menu

Yes!