The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Anyone have experience with the AEX1500? There are lots of clips out there but I'd really like to know the neck profile and just a general sense of the quality of the guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is that the Martin Taylor guitar? If so, I played Martin's own AEX1500 for a couple of minutes, while the great man was staring at me. A bit unnerving to say the least. This must have been twenty years ago, so my memory of it is less to do with the guitar than the fact that I was playing Martin Taylor's guitar, and he was listening to me! I don't know how much his own guitar differed from the stock version, but I remember a very low action, and light strings. It was going through a very small amp, and to be honest, I wasn't blown away. Seemed no better than any off-the-shelf Yamaha at that time. But he did do some magic with it, that's for sure. I quickly gave him it back, then put my hands in my pockets...

Not much use to you, Jim, but it brought back memories...

User Info Menu

I've played one about 10 years ago.
    Very nice instrument.Ebony fingerboard,floating pick up and piezzo in the bridge.It is possibielity to mix the pickups sounds/neck pu and piezzo/.It is a very comfortable to play.Very good quality.I think Martin Taylor used it for his solo playing.
    Best Regards
    Kris

User Info Menu

I was in a trio where the other guitarist briefly used one. Overall a good guitar - quite a unique feel and design. I've played a lot of archtops and this felt different to anything else - when you're playing it, it feels like 80% archtop, 20% Takamine steel string, kinda, sorta. Difficult to describe. If you ever get your hands on one you'll know what I mean. One issue with this particular guitar was that the E string sounded thin, no matter how heavy the gauge string, amp, eq, etc. Seems like it was designed that way. Possibly that was preferable for Martin Taylor's sound he was going for at the time - but soloing with a pick (which I realise you don't do) that E string always sounded anemic. The guitar in question is now with a second owner (a fingerstyle player), and he feels the same way. My2c - I wouldn't buy one sight unseen in case it's not your cup of tea. With the piezo, and the overall feel it's got a real 90's vibe. IIRC the neck profile was medium/slimmish, not chunky in any way. Build quality is high like other top end Yamaha models - it feels like a pro level mass produced factory instrument, and I mean that in a good way.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I've been thinking of a hybrid electric/acoustic and there one for sale not terribly far from me here. The price is about right and I would get a chance to play it.

User Info Menu

Is the top not made from sycamore?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Is the top not made from sycamore?
    Yes, it is. Here's a Musician's Friend page (still somehow hanging around for an out-of-production item) on the guitar, along with several reviews, most rather glowing. The specs are listed above the reviews.

Yamaha AEX 1500 Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

I've had my own AEX-1500 for a little over year, and I love it. I found it, hanging dusty and ignored in a faraway shop, just stopping by at random while on a road trip. After trying it, there was no way I was leaving it there. Got a great price on it but would have paid more if I'd had to. Simply excellent, build-wise, IMO; the entire guitar simply smacks of quality, and it's downright gorgeous besides (mine's a sunburst, but I also love the look of the natural ones I've seen online).

Feels very easy and smooth-playing to me, a nice handful, just possibly thinner than thicker but I wouldn't call it thin. The tone for a floater is so full and warm and intimate; I kept checking to be sure it wasn't a mounted humbucker, it was that warm to my ears (warmer than my Jazzica's nice floater). Personally, I like mixing in just enough of the piezo that it's "not" noticeable but definitely missing when you take it out. Lots of tonal versatility, IMO.

As a possible downside, I found it seemed to feedback somewhat easily using the same volume and EQ that my other archtops were doing fine with—until I finally rolled off some bass at the amp (no problem then, just pointing it out). Still, IMO, I somewhat doubt that you could play it too loudly, but I haven't tried that or gigged with it yet, so your experience might not bear that out.

Jim, IMHO, I would think it would work great with what I've heard of your solo chord-style and musical approach, and I'd strongly encourage you to try it out if you have the opportunity.
    Last edited by ooglybong; 05-04-2014 at 01:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Carved or laminate?

User Info Menu

Ooglybong, thanks for all the input. I was after a hybrid to fill a specific role and I had a choice to make between the AEX1500 and a Godin A6 Ultra. I got to try the A6 on Friday with the AEX1500 scheduled for the following morning but I liked the A6 and it had some added benefits (size & price) so I went with it and unfortunately never did get the chance to try to the AEX1500. If anyone else is interested, the AEX1500 is here n the Vancouver area and is available for a pretty good price from what seems to be a very nice seller.

User Info Menu

I have tried this guitar.
    It gets a good electric sound, like a laminate box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones
    I have tried this guitar.
    It gets a good electric sound, like a laminate box.
    Yeah, definitely.
    If there were no piezo feature at all, the AEX-1500 would still be a great archtop guitar.

User Info Menu

well martin taylor is on video admitting to saying he likes a less dark jazz tone and so if that lighter /more acoustic jazz tone is your bag ...then snap it up........ yamaha do not make bad instruments especially in the upper ,models of their range ......so if the price is right...even if it's NOT your dream instrument it will be well made and have a giggable tone ....and if you really don't like it after a while ....simply sell it off again...as there's a lot of love for yamaha jazz guitars out there .....

Sycamore top. That's what I was told.hand carved. Syc is Relative of maple I have one. See my post
    Last edited by djangoshmango; 06-20-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Carved. I have one. See my post

User Info Menu

Every time I see one of these, it has that cheesy imitation Byrdland tailpiece. Yamaha should take a cue from Ibanez and get some real tailpieces made that don't look like Chinese low budget parts. Other than that, the ones I've seen were good instruments. That tailpiece bugs me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djangoshmango
    Sycamore top. That's what I was told.hand carved. Syc is Relative of maple I have one. See my post
    Sycamore body, yes. Carved, no. It's definitely a laminate body per Yamaha's own page on this guitar.

AEX1500 - Hollow - Electric Guitars - Guitars & Basses - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States

NOTE: While that link was active at the time of posting, it no longer is as of April, 2019. Sorry.
    Last edited by ooglybong; 04-13-2019 at 04:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Jim

How did the Godin A6 work out for you? they look quite an interesting instrument, a telecaster alternative perhaps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Hi Jim

How did the Godin A6 work out for you? they look quite an interesting instrument, a telecaster alternative perhaps?
    Fabulously. I actually now have two. I've put DiMarizo 36th Anniversaries in both of them and they're getting almost all of my playing time. Really enjoyable guitars. They're bigger than a Tele but also lighter. The balance is good. They have a really nice amplified tone with the two pickups blended with a lot of acoustic presence. Great guitars and with some of the discounts available they're a ridiculously good bang for the buck.

Thanks for sending the info. There is a discrepancy there. Brochure says Body; laminated maple. Nothing about the top. Product page says body; laminated satin sycamore. It's not satin. Maple or Syc not important. I think I can reach Martin Taylor. I'll ask. Thanks again.