The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 93

User Info Menu

I played this today at Sam Ash. I used to own a AS93 and sold it after many months of trying to love it. It just wasn't working in my chording hand. They have scaled down the nut and it feels way better that the AS73 and AS93.

Ibanez AS153 - Artstar, Antique Yellow Sbst | Sweetwater.com

The pick ups seemed hotter but it could have been my enthusiasm for that new toy. Rolling off the tone that that tri switch was pretty neat too.

Looks like a pretty darn good ax for the price. I've seen blems going for $799 already.

Ibanez Artstar AS153 - Has anyone tried it yet?-ibanez-artstar-as153-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I actually bought one from Sweetwater about a year ago. I ordered it online and when I received it, it played awfully. The frets all buzzed and were uneven. I called Sweetwater and they sent me a return authorization so I could send it to their service department. They adjusted everything and used their Plek machine to level and polish the frets. Now my guitar plays better than any guitar I have ever played. I also replaced the tuners with a set of Gotoh 510s with ebony pegs and the tail piece with a nice heavy Gotoh solid tail piece. This guitar is definitely an awesome axe when it is set up correctly. Also, the sound of these pickups are amazing.

User Info Menu

I haven't tried an AS153 but I am looking for a new axe and a after some google searching I came to the conclusion that the AS153 might be the axe for me since people seem to say really great things about that guitar. The general consensus is that it's a guitar that's built and plays like a more expensive guitar and you can get some really sweet sounds out of it judging from some youtube clips I've watched. Have you seen the Ben Monder clip of him playing this guitar?

But I actually didn't go through with ordering an AS153 since I decided to go with a Thinline Eastman instead but there's no doubt in my mind that the AS153 are great guitars.

User Info Menu

I bought an AS153 about a year ago, when they were only available in Antique Yellow Sunburst (which I still prefer it to the new finishes). It played well straight out of the box. There seems to be a consensus on the forum that the European distributors do a better pre-sales setup than the US distributors, so Paulc123's experience is not surprising.

Some years back I also had an AS93 - the pickups in the 153 are far superior. Even so, for the last year I had been considering upgrading them to either SD's, Gibsons or Bareknuckles. BUT - I recently got a new amp - a Fender Superchamp X2 - and now the guitar sounds so much different (in a very good way) through my current rig, that I will be delaying any upgrade perhaps indefinitely.

My overall assessment is that for the money, you will not find a better semi-hollow, although, for a bit more dosh, the Eastman's are undeniably great.

Quote Originally Posted by HlynurS
    I haven't tried an AS153 but I am looking for a new axe and a after some google searching I came to the conclusion that the AS153 might be the axe for me since people seem to say really great things about that guitar. The general consensus is that it's a guitar that's built and plays like a more expensive guitar and you can get some really sweet sounds out of it judging from some youtube clips I've watched. Have you seen the Ben Monder clip of him playing this guitar?

But I actually didn't go through with ordering an AS153 since I decided to go with a Thinline Eastman instead but there's no doubt in my mind that the AS153 are great guitars.
    I'm sure you did great with the Eastman. I have an Eastman 503ce that's my main work horse right now. Great guitars.

I have actually seen this Monder video and watched it again yesterday. I was listening intently to the sound. I don't know whether (if or not) he has a rig that he runs it through. I know the pick ups can run hot. I played it through a Vox amp. Incidentally, I believe Scofield uses Vox amps these days. I liked it hot for chording more aggressive chording sounds. Rolling off the the tone and messing with that tri-switch can produce that mellifluous jazz guitar sound we all hear in our collective heads. HA!

Yes indeed that guitar (ebony fretboard and other nice accoutrements) plays and looks like a $2000 guitar (although our neighbor who started this post had a bad experience with the first one he bought last year). He had it rectified though. Ibanez may not have the Gibson name (and that's debatable) but boy do they make some mid level guitars that look and sound like pricer guitars.
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 04-23-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    I bought an AS153 about a year ago, when they were only available in Antique Yellow Sunburst (which I still prefer it to the new finishes). It played well straight out of the box. There seems to be a consensus on the forum that the European distributors do a better pre-sales setup than the US distributors, so Paulc123's experience is not surprising.

Some years back I also had an AS93 - the pickups in the 153 are far superior. Even so, for the last year I had been considering upgrading them to either SD's, Gibsons or Bareknuckles. BUT - I recently got a new amp - a Fender Superchamp X2 - and now the guitar sounds so much different (in a very good way) through my current rig, that I will be delaying any upgrade perhaps indefinitely.

My overall assessment is that for the money, you will not find a better semi-hollow, although, for a bit more dosh, the Eastman's are undeniably great.
    The AS93 experience made me look away from Ibanez for YEARS! But I LOVE Scofield's guitar.
    It's too expensive and that headstock is the only guitar on that site that has that. Great design.
    I mean that puppy is mouth watering.

And then I saw Eric Krasnow is now an Ibanez endorser and has been included on the special page with Benson, Metheny and Scofield. Wow! I wonder how his people pulled that off!?!

Re the AS 153 -- I am trying to resist. I have a 28 year old Epiphone Sheraton that has Seymour Duncan replacement humbucker pick ups. As I played the Ibanez in the store, I kept visualizing my old beast while telling myself... "you don't need this Ibanez, you don't need this magnificent beast"! The Epi is heavier that this sleek AS153 btw.

Maybe I should wait and get one for free when Ibanez decides they need to endorse me! LOL, I crack myself up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Maybe I should wait and get one for free when Ibanez decides they need to endorse me! LOL, I crack myself up.
    If you need a reference for that, I'll give you one, even though I have never knowingly heard you play !

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    If you need a reference for that, I'll give you one, even though I have never knowingly heard you play !

Awww maaaan....THANK YOU!!!

I'll take you up on that one day soon and I PROMISE, I won't let you down. I'm actually going to make "calling card" videos (for Youtube) of my yet to be finalized band playing full songs.

I love this Black and white film look by this Japanese band. I dig it... hip and cool. Can't forget about the visual side of presenting music.

The music will be different.. Jazz standards with "newer" rhythms, "jazzified" contemporary tunes that will become tomorrows standards and originals with The Roots type rhythms.

I'm working hard as we speak!!! LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HlynurS

File under "it's a damn shame I'm broke with doctor's bills and can't afford anything right now"

I did manage to try this guitar out last week. It is exactly as Ben Monder describe it. Ease of playability? check. Immaculately constructed? Check. Beautifully clear tone and string string separation with incredible sustain? Check. Georgous look and design? Check? Faultless fingerboard and even, perfect fret Job? Check.

in short, a perfect jazz guitar for the 21st century.

the only blemish was that the pickup was noticeably hotter on the tritone "out of phase" setting. But I imagine even that can be used for an advantage. . In my brief time with this guitar, I prefereed the "single coil" setting over the HB for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    File under "it's a damn shame I'm broke with doctor's bills and can't afford anything right now"

I did manage to try this guitar out last week. It is exactly as Ben Monder describe it. Ease of playability? check. Immaculately constructed? Check. Beautifully clear tone and string string separation with incredible sustain? Check. Georgous look and design? Check? Faultless fingerboard and even, perfect fret Job? Check.

in short, a perfect jazz guitar for the 21st century.

the only blemish was that the pickup was noticeably hotter on the tritone "out of phase" setting. But I imagine even that can be used for an advantage. . In my brief time with this guitar, I prefereed the "single coil" setting over the HB for clarity.

Great guitar yes. Looks way more expensive than it actually costs. I hemmed and hawed and then I tried the Eastman 185MX and found the slightly shorter scale to be immensely pleasing. Felt like a ax that could be wielded very easily and smoothly "in battle"!

When I tried the Ibanez (4 separate occasions at Sam Ash music store), I didn't have a strap and had to balance it on my lap so maybe I didn't get the full monte in terms of comfortability but playability was A+1. My hands fluttered over the neck. (It was probably psychological due to the sweetness of that ax).

Along the way, I discovered a pick up on the PRS called "vintage bass". Combined with the other pick up it comes with, my oh my.

Final tip - why don't you wait till NAMM 2016. If someone in your circle attends who knows? The manufacturers normally let their inventory go for cheap off the floor so they don't have to carry them home. Food for thought.

User Info Menu

I have a JSM100 I bought used and a Yamaha SA2200 (bot them as a 'set', used). Have tried the earlier SA2000 and 2500, and the Ibby AS200 and the AS153. Big fan of MIJ quality of old, and MIJ quality at the high end (because the top of the line models are usually loss-leaders to show quality). I know people like the Scofield models because of Scofield, but the Yamahas are in my mind (and I am still early stages) a bit easier to play (JSM has higher frets) and sound luscious. Liked the AS153 but preferred the 200. Similar strings on Yammy and Ibby but Ibby makes me work harder. I will eventually cut the JSM out of the herd I expect. That said, I find used models of each to be pretty decent, and value for money is way up there. And I like dealing with some of the Japanese sellers. Good experiences so far with TC Gakki, Shimokura, Ishibashi, and a couple of others. Most will deal in English.

User Info Menu

Just bought the smaller bodied AM153. I'm equally impressed with the fit/finish and sound of the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by travisty
    I have a JSM100 I bought used and a Yamaha SA2200 (bot them as a 'set', used). Have tried the earlier SA2000 and 2500, and the Ibby AS200 and the AS153. Big fan of MIJ quality of old, and MIJ quality at the high end (because the top of the line models are usually loss-leaders to show quality). I know people like the Scofield models because of Scofield, but the Yamahas are in my mind (and I am still early stages) a bit easier to play (JSM has higher frets) and sound luscious. Liked the AS153 but preferred the 200. Similar strings on Yammy and Ibby but Ibby makes me work harder. I will eventually cut the JSM out of the herd I expect. That said, I find used models of each to be pretty decent, and value for money is way up there. And I like dealing with some of the Japanese sellers. Good experiences so far with TC Gakki, Shimokura, Ishibashi, and a couple of others. Most will deal in English.

OOoooh MAN you CRUEL CRUEL MAN!!! I have kept watch notices on my eBay for any SA2200 for about 3-4 years. I oogle at the JSM100 from time to time but I can't bring myself to play his guitar because he is so so strongly tied to it. But that sucker DRIPS with lusciousness! Rest assured it's one baad gee tar! The push pull in phase out of phase whiz ma doo on the SA2200. Bad. And just the over all solid workmanship. Man!

Culling the HERD? Dahm. You make me feel better about myself. I have my axes hoisted up on the walls off my cave on ax holders of all sorts. Each time I look at them, I try to mentally X out the new ones I have been staring at.

Sadowsky semi hollow ( I weaseled a trip to NYC over the weekend and they were CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Drat!!!
    Yamaha SA2000
    PRS JA-15 (which I was just now able to weasel a try out at the factory. You don't see them in stores (at least I haven't)

I'll look up your Japanese sellers. ENjoy your "herd" and Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Look up the Youtube video of Nico Schliemann playing his new As135. Does a nice job of going thru the various tone settings playing various styles of music. He mentions the frets being a bit off as well. Have that sorted at a local shop and you'll have a nice guitar at a reasonable price. Or you could pony up another 200 and get the Scofield model JMS10 (may be off on the number),same basic guitar, built just a little better per the Ibanez rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Br.
    Look up the Youtube video of Nico Schliemann playing his new As135. Does a nice job of going thru the various tone settings playing various styles of music. He mentions the frets being a bit off as well. Have that sorted at a local shop and you'll have a nice guitar at a reasonable price. Or you could pony up another 200 and get the Scofield model JMS10 (may be off on the number),same basic guitar, built just a little better per the Ibanez rep.

I checked out Nico. Looks like he is a famous German player? I don't recall hearing about him before. I'll look for more info on him. Rocker looking dude with Jazz chops. Nightlive band? New to me. Is it me or is the music scene in Euro more friendly to live gigs than in the US??

I recall seeing something written about a more affordable JSM100. Looks like it's the JSM10. Cool.
    Normally, a sentence that starts with "you could pony up $200" gets me reaching for the "rehab" hotline. HEEELP!
    I normally can't resist very nice guitars but I think Sco to me is SO VERY Scofield in his sound that I just wouldn't feel right playing "his ax". Call me chicken and I accept.

Can you post pics of your SA2200?

User Info Menu

I would but it is out getting a little TLC (jack came unscrewed). I bot it used and abused - lots of mojo including a dinged headstock (binding off the corner, and not subtly) but I got it to play and learn. I think it is called 'black sunburst' but honestly not sure [edited: confirmed 'sunburst' I think]. I like color of my Ibby better but the SA2200 is so nice to play. When I get back home I'll dig around to see if I have a photo.
    Last edited by travisty; 02-13-2015 at 09:39 AM.

I would but it is out getting a little TLC (jack came unscrewed). I bot it used and abused - lots of mojo including a dinged headstock (binding off the corner, and not subtly) but I got it to play and learn. I think it is called 'black sunburst' but honestly not sure. I like color of my Ibby better but the SA2200 is so nice to play. When I get back home I'll dig around to see if I have a photo.

No problem, take your time. Incidentally I just got an email back from the folks at SHIMOKURA. They tell me they don't ship abroad. Ebay has some nice ones so I'll keep watching.

User Info Menu

Here are pics of my Yamaha SA2200 and my Ibanez JSM100. Don't have an extensive group of pics - I just play them. (anyone ever notice the guy is a lefty?)

There are a fair number of pics available on the web showing all the details. They have truly excellent build quality, and they both sound great, though the Yamaha is perhaps a little smoother, and a bit more flexible with the push-pull pots. They both have great sustain, though the highs on the Yamaha seem a trifle 'sweeter'. Prefer the Yamaha's neck and the Ibby's color and jack placement. Big frets on both but the Yamaha frets are a little lower, and 'feel' smoother. Might just be more wear but I think it is a matter of the input JS had on the Ibanez. FWIW, I have tried an SA2000 and an SA2500 and I would take either of them in a heartbeat as well.

The Yamaha SA2200 in Sunburst
    Ibanez Artstar AS153 - Has anyone tried it yet?-yamahasa2200-jpg

The Ibanez JSM100 in what I think is called Desert Burst'
    Ibanez Artstar AS153 - Has anyone tried it yet?-ibbyjsm100-jpg
    Last edited by travisty; 02-14-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks for posting dude. However, something happened with the links. Says needs "administrator"…. I've been looking at a ton of pics. What I think is interesting is that the scale is listed as 24 - 3/4. The Eastman 185MX that I picked up a few months ago is 25" which I prefer much better than my ancient Epi Sherton 1 scale length. I think I'm going to dig the Yamaha scale length. The in - out phase push pull feature also grabs me and then what I'm reading about the over all build. Sco played one for a while I believe. Maybe the SA 2000 which I hear is even more pricey. The guitar just looks like a very well built war horse.

PS: I have nothing to say about the JSM. It looks like it fell out of the heavens. Stay away.
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 02-13-2015 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, what can I say? I'm stunned by the beauty and quality of this guitar! I have owned several 335s in the past, and this surpasses all of them. Sounds and plays great right out of the box. Has a very punchy yet sweet tone, maybe due to the ebony fretboard(?). I've already ordered some Duncan Seth Lovers to put in it. Can anyone tell me about experience with those pups?
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez Artstar AS153 - Has anyone tried it yet?-211202s15120267-front-large-jpg Ibanez Artstar AS153 - Has anyone tried it yet?-211202s15120267-body-large-jpg 

User Info Menu

It sounds so good, you've already decided to change it?

User Info Menu

It looks gorgeous. Nothing wrong with those pickups, unless you are after something very specific. Congratulations on an excellent acquisition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    It sounds so good, you've already decided to change it?
    I have an Ibanez AM93 that I put some Lollar Imperials in and it went from an excellent guitar to an amazing one for the money. I ordered the SL pups before receiving the AS153 assuming they would need to be upgraded. Now I'm wondering if I need the Duncan's.

User Info Menu

I feel like I'm wishing you a happy life on your wedding night. I hope it's that good and better. Nice choice on PU's. When I worked at Ibanez I got a chance to score some sweet guitars. Like you said, they're sweet sounding guitars. But I always played an instrument for a while, to know the real extent of change/improvement after a switch. Always used Duncans. Never regretted it. Always was amazed at what I had after the change.
    Do live with the stock guitar a little while. You may find you like it as it is; you certainly wouldn't be alone. But hold on to the Duncans and when you're ready for the comparison, switch the neck out.
    If by some chance you like the sound and feel I do, it's like getting a new guitar all over again. It could be that dramatic. Don't need to say spend the time getting the PU height right.
    Play long and love it!
    David
    Last edited by TH; 04-29-2016 at 05:30 PM.