The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34
    Oh yeah i did try the godin 5th ave. and while its a great guitar the neck is a lot like a steel string acoustic and not it. I also tried another gretsch there i dont remember what the name was but it was in the vain of the setzer line and i dont need or want a whammy bar/bigsby tailpiece

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Just wanted to say that i put money down on the Gretsch synchromatic today and it will be mine in a couple weeks. So thanks much to all of you for your input! I will tell you guys what i think after i get a few good sessions in on it.

User Info Menu

I just went thru the same experience of looking for a new guitar. I tried all the different makes and configurations I could get my hands on. Fortunately I live in Houston where there are plenty of shops with a lot to offer.
    Only thing I can say is get the best you can afford. You can always trade up later.

I tried out a few Godin models and was impressed at the build quality, playability and appearence. Only thing that I found a little lacking was the sound quality un-plugged. since I don't always plan on being in an electric mode this was a consideration.

Ibanez has gotten better as of late and the AR-151/155 and AS-153 are great values for the buck, (under 1k). The AR-151F was just a touch above, (imho), the 151 and still under 1000.
    The Epiphones are decent but just seemed heavy for lack of better word. Some were put together well, others not so well. The Joe Pass and other hollow bodies were not bad and the semi hollows were I think a little better.

The Wabash J600 looks good at first but the rough fretboard can be too rough in spots and I'm not sure I liked the finish on the hardware. Looked out of place for some reason.

If you can find a used box of decent repute, then that may be a way to go as well.

Another nicely made guitar and just a little over 1K would be a Peerless Jazz City. Nice sound, good quality, and very playable. check out some of the on-line videos.

In fact, take a listen to all the on-line videos you can find before you make a decision. Different players will exhibit different sound qualities of the same model which may help you to find the one that sounds good to you.
    Last edited by Al Br.; 04-24-2014 at 10:18 AM.

I have always wanted to try one of those Gretch Synchromatic archtops! Especially the acoustic non-electric one. I'd say if you like...go for it!
    Last edited by OldGuitarPlayer; 04-24-2014 at 10:10 AM.

User Info Menu

"AR-151/155"

You sure you don't mean AF151/155 I've never heard of an AR151/155.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB56
    "AR-151/155"

You sure you don't mean AF151/155 I've never heard of an AR151/155.
    Could be correct. My notes are not the neatest. Thank you for the catch.

User Info Menu

The gretsch was a good choice for the money. Try some La Bella black tape strings; they feel a lot like classical strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al B.
    Could be correct. My notes are not the neatest. Thank you for the catch.
    No problem, I actually have an AF151 AWB it's a great guitar the finish is immaculate and the sound is great, I was going to change the pickup for a classic 57 but I'm not going to bother the super58 has a great sound.

User Info Menu

Have you considered used Guilds and Heritages ? There are some fantastic bargains to be found and these are fine guitars. I have both, as well as several Gibsons and they compete very favorably with the Gibsons that cost much more.

PS I think I missed the fact that you already made the purchase - sorry
    Last edited by randyc; 04-24-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add PS