The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

An update from my March 2014 post:

In order of acquiring them, though the exact years are beyond my memory:

'80's:

Yamaha acoustic flat top (bought my first guitar with the $ from the sale of my last motorcycle.)
    Ibanez Strat copy
    Alvarez flat top
    Sigma D style flat top
    Guild GF50 flat top
    Alvarez Yairi flat top

'90's

Fender Squire Telecaster
    Heritage H575
    Fender American Standard Telecaster
    Heritage H576

Started playing some jazz & took lessons during this period.

2000's

Fender ‘62 reissue Stratocaster
    2004 Gibson ES335 Dot
    Gibson ES135
    Gibson Faded Les Paul DC
    Martin 000-16SGTNE
    Taylor T5 Custom
    Gibson L4CES
    2008 Campellone Standard
    2000 Gibson ES175
    Takamine classical
    Taylor GS6
    2006 Gibson L5 CES*
    Breedlove Bossa Nova electric nylon string crossover
    2012 (?) Gibson ES 335 Block
    Eastman E6OM LTD*
    Benedetto Bravo
    2015 Gibson ES 175 ‘59 Reissue VOS*
    Fender Strat MIM
    Godin Multiac nylon string
    D’Angelico New Yorker (Korean reissue)
    Eastman T386
    Eastman T486
    ‘60’s Gibson C-2 nylon string
    Alhambra 9P classical* (Purchased from “2Be”. Lovely guitar!)
    Partscaster w/ Vintage Vibe p/u’s*
    1981 Alvarez Yairi CY125* (my flamenco guitar)
    Republic “Clarksdale” Tri-Cone*
    Martin OMC Custom*

*Currently own.

I do regret selling some of these, though if I hadn't I wouldn't be able to afford the L5. the '62 Reissue Strat was a great guitar, though I didn't have a need for it after awhile. Someday, I'd like another Campellone, but a 17".

I have learned a few things. 1. As much as I love ES335s, they just are not for me. For whatever reason, I can’t find my sound with one, and could never justify having such an expensive instrument I couldn’t bond with. The cheaper Eastman semi’s were nice alternatives, but, alas, they were still semi’s. 2. Crossover nylon string guitars just don’t sound good amplified to me, and I prefer the feel of a more traditional classical/flamenco guitar. 3. I always think I’d like something with a P90 or a CC pickup, but every guitar I have demo’d With one has been noisy and underwhelming. In the end, I’m glad I resisted the temptation to trade or sell to make room for one. 4. I do love the sound of Strats. Maybe I’ll find another one sometime. 5. Generally speaking, my tastes tend toward tradition designs. 6. As I get older and play fewer gigs I’m finding the most pleasure out of playing acoustic guitars.

I currently have 8 (see asterisks) and between them they pretty much cover the spectrum of music I’m interested in playing. The only one that I can see parting with right now is the Republic. My next guitar will be a nice Spanish made flamenco, probably a Camps Primera. Here’s a picture of the current herd.

What has your guitar ownership history been?-64f37772-e039-4c33-adc2-b8193033137c-jpg
    Last edited by Mark M.; 06-03-2019 at 07:13 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    My brother in law has a pair of old Gurians. I never miss the opportunity to play them when I visit. I'm sorry for your loss!
    They are fantastic guitars! I have always wanted one.

User Info Menu

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, and I've enjoyed reading it. It's also fortuitous that it was revived, since I've been thinking about taking stock of my gear. So here's a rough draft of what might become a major project that includes anecdotes, photos and financials for posterity.

First wave, mid 1970s to mid 1980s, roughly in order obtained:
    Fender Telecaster, mid 60s
    Conn acoustic, late 70s new
    Suzuki acoustic 12-string, late 70s new
    Gibson ES-335, late 70s new
    Ovation bowl-type nylon string, early 80s new
    Fender Stratocaster, early 80s new
    Gibson Les Paul Custom, mid 70s used
    Fender Telecaster Custom, mid 70s, used

The first wave also includes a no name bass, a 1960s Fender Princeton Reverb, a Peavey stack, a small Peavey combo, an Acoustic combo and a Pignose. The Tele was my first garage band axe, with the Princeton, supplanted by the ES and the Peaveys for rock. Also had a Yamaha DX-7 and an early guitar synth for dabbling in film scoring. I worked semi-professionally throughout the 80s, mostly in wedding bands (pre-DJ), for which I used the Strat. Did an occasional jazz combo and big band gig, for which I used the ES strung with flatwounds. Ended up selling all of the above gear by the late 1990s, after which I took a hiatus from playing and had no guitar for several years. In the early 2000s, my interest in music rekindled, I special ordered a Taylor 712CE with rosewood body and cedar top, and a cutaway but no electronics, which I still use regularly today after fitting it with a K&K Pure Mini. Of those that I let go, I still occasionally pine for the 1960s Fenders.

Second wave, mid-2000s to the present, roughly in order obtained:
    Cordoba FCWE Nylon Reissue "Gypsy Kings," new
    Gibson Johnny Smith, 70s Kalamazoo
    FGN Masterfield, new
    FGN NST-101 "Neo-Classic," new
    Fender Jazzmaster, 1966
    Danelectro Vincent Bell Signature Electric Sitar, late 60s
    Rickenbacker 456 6/12 string "Convertible," 1968
    Yamaha SG-12 electric 12-string, 1966
    Yamaha SG-5A "Samurai," mid 60s
    Kawai MLY-140 "MoonSault," early 80s
    Fender Telecaster MIJ TL67-70SPL "Keith Richards," mid-80s
    Martin Classical Backpacker, new
    Traveller Guitar, new
    Gretsch G6122-6212 Vintage Select '62 "Chet Atkins" Country Gentleman 12-string, new
    Gibson ES-125TD, 1962
    Silvertone 1457 with "Amp-in-Case," 1965 (saw one of these in the 2014 part of this thread)
    Greco 961 "Shrike" 10-string, late 60s
    Teisco EV-52T, late 60s
    Teisco Spectrum 5 Reissue, mid 90s
    Teisco K-3L "Sharkfin," late 60s
    Teisco K-4L "Sharkfin," late 60s (one pickup on the fritz)
    Guyatone LG-140T, late 60s
    Harmony Rocket H-59, mid 60s (noticed at least one of these gems in this thread)
    Aria Pro II TS-300 "Trisound," mid 80s
    Greco AP-1000 clear acrylic "Dan Armstrong," early 90s
    Edwards/ESP Sugizo Signature "White Cloud," early 90s
    Aria Diamond/Conrad 1202T, late 60s (pickup switch needs repair)
    Airline Barney Kessel "Swingmaster," mid 60s
    Godin Multiac Nylon Encore 7-string, new
    K. Yairi "Nirai" acoustic 4 string, 2005
    K. Yairi custom acoustic hybrid guitar/bass, new

The second wave also includes these amps: 60s Gibson Falcon GA-19 RVT, 60s Fender Vibro Champ, Roland Blues Cube Artist, Fishman Loudbox Mini, Markacoustic AC-101H, Yamaha THR-10, Blackstar FLY-3. 32 guitars and 7 amps, no plan to sell any yet; have my eyes on a couple more (60s Gibson Firebird tops the list). Today I play mostly jazz, blues and acoustic. For jazz, I use the ES-125 or the FGN Masterfield, and on occasion the Cordoba and MIJ Tele, although been thinking of putting the Johnny Smith into rotation. For blues, it's the FGN NST-101 or, more recently, the Greco AP-1000, and also the Tele on occasion. And for the acoustic music, it's either the Cordoba (with Fishman electronics) or the Taylor, although I may try the Godin 7-string and Yairi hybrid once I get used to their scale lengths and nut widths. The rest are for home use, playing with friends, or recording, though I have been thinking about using some of the old Japanese "bizarre" guitars for blues ala Hound Dog Taylor, and a friend intriguingly suggested I try the Danelectro sitar on some of the modal jazz tunes. Current favorites for home playing and recording are the Swingmaster, which I run through an EHX Pitchfork shifted down into baritone territory for ambient meanderings, and the Spectrum 5, which has split pickups that can be sent to different amps and effects chains. I try to play each one at least once or twice a month. It's a task indeed keeping all these clean and in good working order and to change strings as needed. I play through house amps (Roland JC, Polytone, Yamaha) or a PA at most venues, so my amps are mainly for home use.

So that's a life with guitars, and, as John Lennon said, "In my life, I've loved them all." ;-)

User Info Menu

I think this is it. Nice to go back in time.

1978 Yamaha FG 375 *
    1979 Degas Stratocaster *
    2006 Gibson es 335
    2008 Martin D28*
    2008 Fender Telecaster 52 reissue
    2009 Fender Custom Shop Nocaster*
    2010 Fender Telecaster B-bender, Gene Parson’s installed*
    2010 D’Angelico Excel
    2006 Campellone Deluxe
    2012 Campellone Standard*
    2011 Fender Stratocaster, Clapton CS*
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Custom*
    1934 Epiphone Triumph
    1937 Gibson L7
    2014 Gibson ES 335
    1934 Gibson L5*
    2013 Gibson Super 400*
    2019 Bastien Burlot, Alkemia*

* still owned

User Info Menu

Let's see...
    1974 '64 Chevy Belaire, 3 on the tree, 234 cu in straight 6
    1975 '69 Fairlane/Torino, would have been the worst car I ever owned but for what follows
    1975 '64 VW bug w/ Empi competition shifter. What fun. Died in January in my new home of Milwaukee...not much fun.
    1976 '57 Ford F 100. Single I-beam front axle w/ one kingpin frozen, vacuum wipers (not fun with a worn engine). Turning circle smaller that the bug. Great solid truck. Thick metal went bonk when wrapped. Came with vice grip pliers interior door handle
    1977 '66 Chevy 3/4 ton S 20. One can see the progression to thinner bodies, went clink when wrapped. Died on I-94 in Wisco.
    1978 '75 AMC Gremlin. Agressively horrible car. Free gift. Had a better one for $40. Worst cars imaginable.
    1981 '72 Ford Econoline with 351 4 barrel added. Blue shag rug interior. Vicegrip pliers gear shift.
    1983 '70 Datsun 510 wagon. Fine car. Great handling. Slower than Christmas.
    1985 '76 Civic. Wow, what a perfect car. Beat it to shit commuting L.A. to San Diego. Bought two replacement engines from Japan, installed for peanuts.
    1994 '91 Mazda B2200. Tough, rough riding little beast. Rode best with a fridge or piano in the bed. 1st car I ever owned with A/C.
    1997 '86 Acura Integra. Great handling, great brakes, fast, Best car ever until...
    2005 '06 Audi A3. Can't gush enough about this 200 hp beast. Wasted on New Orleans streets and Southern interstates.
    2016 '11 Seat Leon. Basically an A3 with half the engine. Befitting a new life of fuel economy and smaller roads.

WHAT? I thought you said "CARS".

User Info Menu

*1970 no name classical with a for $50. Stamped with a Japanese mark.
    1973 first steel string: Japanese Epiphone. Classic starter guitar.
    1974 new Guild D35. My first real guitar. Quality.
    1975 '62 Fender Jaguar. Great neck, hideous electronics...nasty sounding. Lake Placid Blue.
    1980 '66 Tele repaint. Slab maple fingerboard, no skunk stripe. 1st decent electric. Traded for a car...never again.
    1981 '78 Les Paul Deluxe. Live neck. Watched Ozark Airlines baggage handlers in St. Louis break that neck by bouncing it upside down as they offloaded bags en route to my first 'make a living' gig. Poorly repaired in Ft. Worth. Later, a drummer's slipping bass drum pushed it off the stand pitching it face first to it's second heel fracture. Properly repaired by genius Bob Pascoe in Milwaukee. Bow down to one of the best. Traded it straight up for a...
    1982 New Ibanez Roadstar Strat. Nice axe. Badly cut bridge pieces. Broke 5 of 6 strings during 1st set on the day I bought it.
    1982 '39-'41 Vega Duo-tron bought from my teacher, the perv jazz great George Pritchett. Best archtop ever.
    1984 Westone Electra Strat from Nadines in L.A. Great neck, crap pickups. Closeted until sold years later.
    1989 new G&L ASAT TELE, silver sparkle. Quality.
    1989 new G&L ASAT w/Strat PUPS. Bought from Todd Barth of Texas fame who was selling off his endorsement axes.
    1993 used Aria Pro II 335. Weak neck, so traded for...
    1995 Yamaha Strat in swimming pool pink for a rock studio session.
    1995 Charvel Strat w/Carrurthers neck (mmm). Body badly chopped up inside for a vibrato bridge. Why people do dat? Saved the neck and dumped as a full disclosure basket case on ebay.
    *1995 Blueridge dreadnaught flat top from McCabe's Santa Monica. A true cannon, which is why I still have it.
    1995 '82 G&L S-500 gifted from the late great Bobby Seal. What an axe.
    1997 Fat Dawg/Subway Guitars partscaster Tele made from Warmoth seconds. Main axe for several years.
    *2005 Peavey jf1ex (335 type). $300 cheap Chinese POS bought while evacuated from Hurricane Katrina in Austin, Tx. All instruments left behind and needed something to play. Saw one in a designer's office @ Peavey HQ in Meridian so this became my evacuation guitar. Should be junk...may be my best guitar. Ridiculously forgiving. Can't dial in a bad sound.
    *2012 Warmoth chambered Tele custom ordered w neck. Present to self for a professional achievement. Main axe today.
    *2005 G&L tribute maple top ASAT Tribute, gifted from my sister. Was in her violin shop in L.A. and she brought it for my 60th. Sat in its case until I brought it to a pub gig here in the UK on a lark. Look out, it really screams. A keeper and it's worth nothing.
    *2015 new McIlroy AS 26 cedar top. You don't see guitars this good very often. My advice: get to know McIlroy, made in Northern Ireland.
    *2019 Daniel Slaman Magnificent Molly archtop. Just agreed to purchase from cmajor9 on this site. Cannot wait for it to arrive. Will be a guitar for life.

Whew, that's a way to review a life.

User Info Menu

Starting in 1962:
    Some unknown rental guitar from the studio I started taking lessons at. Similar to a Kay from that time period>
    1965: Argentinian made hollow body folk guitar. Luthier unknown. Gift from cousin in Buenos Aires.
    1968: Sears electric guitar. Parents got it for me after an accident destroyed the hollow body.
    1970: Having learned a bit about what real guitars were like I purchased my first real guitar. 1967 Gibson Melody Maker, (SG body style single coil pups). Still own it.
    1972: Gibson Les Paul Deluxe. Still owned. Became my working guitar thru the 80's.
    1976: Alvarez 12 string.
    1978 Dean Flying Vee. No idea why, just seemed like a fun idea at the time. Played it out once, hated it, never touched again till sold in the early 90's.
    1980: Ovation 6 string. A guitar to take on the road when traveling for my real job.
    1984: Gibson ES-335. Sold it when I moved from the area. Huge mistake, really stupidly huge mistake.
    1990: Fender Strat. Sold it in late 90's. Second dumb-butt move.
    From 2010 the collection now consists of the following, all played for my entertainment on a daily basis:
    67 Gibson Melody Maker
    72 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
    73 Gianini 12 string
    Andrew White Freja
    74 Tradition MT750 (ES-175)
    72 Republic Highway 61 resonator
    Epiphone ES-335 pro series
    Peerless Cremona
    Peerless Retromatic
    Fender Strat.
    I like variety.