The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

I just think this is such a great sounding guitar. Has anyone here played one?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From the little I've read about these, they are entire solid body that is scooped out like a PRS Archtop. Ant then a hancarved spruce top on the top. They had one awhile back at Lark Street Guitars w/ that as the description. They currently have a solid body Phifer w/ Tele p/up configuration. You could call Buzzy Levine the ownerand get a more detailed description.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    From the little I've read about these, they are entire solid body that is scooped out like a PRS Archtop. Ant then a hancarved spruce top on the top. They had one awhile back at Lark Street Guitars w/ that as the description. They currently have a solid body Phifer w/ Tele p/up configuration. You could call Buzzy Levine the ownerand get a more detailed description.
    No wonder I think it sounds good. It's basically our Single 15" with an arch top bridge and tailpiece.

User Info Menu

And more!

I met Woody at the Philly Fall show a few years back. Some friends from around the country convened there to look at cool vintage guitars, drink/smoke/jam non-stop for a couple of days at one of the hotel's banquet rooms, and generally lower the tone of the hotel while enriching the bar. Great fun. Woody was walking by with a couple of his guitars (he was there to show/deliver his wares to some retailers at the show), heard our racket, knocked on the door and we invited him to join our little party.

In addition to what is mentioned above, he typically carves his guitar bodies to wrap around the players' midsections in a wonderfully ergonomic fashion. As a result, they are wonderful guitars in terms of how comfortable they are to play. And they are beautifully built. And they sound great. And Woody is a great guy. And his wife is hot.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-10-2017 at 03:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I've listened to a bunch of Ronny's video's with his Phifer and it just really jumps out at me as a wonderful sounding guitar.

User Info Menu

Have you guys seen the one on Reverb that's for sale?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cdw123
    Have you guys seen the one on Reverb that's for sale?
    I have now. I've seen a couple of his solid bodies on the used market but that's the first time I've seen one of his archtops. I wonder who chose the walnut for the back: the builder or the buyer?

User Info Menu

Funny story. The guitar Ronny used is Woodys prototype Archtop. Ronny used it until his was made. He never owned it. I happen to own it and never listed it for sale :-). Not that I won't ever but didn't at the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wdblogic123
    Funny story. The guitar Ronny used is Woodys prototype Archtop. Ronny used it until his was made. He never owned it. I happen to own it and never listed it for sale :-). Not that I won't ever but didn't at the time.
    Wow. That's all I can say ... Well not really. I can also say that I'm seriously impressed. I was/am very much a Ronny Jordan fan and have been since his first album was released (and I was very sad when he died). He never sounded better than he did on your guitar. I've watched those live videos with the Phifer countless times and I'm sure I'll watch them many more. The tone and the playing are just remarkable. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Does anybody know what's up with Woody Phifer? The website isn't available anymore. Did he retire?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Does anybody know what's up with Woody Phifer? The website isn't available anymore. Did he retire?
    Phifer Guitars, Master Guitar Maker

What are you talking about? It's up and working perfectly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Wow. That's all I can say ... Well not really. I can also say that I'm seriously impressed. I was/am very much a Ronny Jordan fan and have been since his first album was released (and I was very sad when he died). He never sounded better than he did on your guitar. I've watched those live videos with the Phifer countless times and I'm sure I'll watch them many more. The tone and the playing are just remarkable. Thanks for posting.
    My thoughts, exactly!! I have all of Ronny Jordan's recordings, and enjoy playing along with him...or simply listening. Another great guitarist, gone too soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I saw Ronnie play in London when the acid jazz thing was going on and also at the Troubadour a few months later in LA. I have been a fan ever since. I actually just found that he had passed away less than a month ago. I was blown away. I have found very little information on his cause of death anyone have any information?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    I saw Ronnie play in London when the acid jazz thing was going on and also at the Troubadour a few months later in LA. I have been a fan ever since. I actually just found that he had passed away less than a month ago. I was blown away. I have found very little information on his cause of death anyone have any information?
    I don't think there was ever an announcement on the cause of death but there was a lot of speculation. I have no idea how accurate it was but I found it all very sad.

User Info Menu

Here's the overall details about Ronnie Jordan passing away. Likely died from a heart attack, but here's FB:
    Ronny Jordan RIP - Home | Facebook

All in all, just a sad loss, such an outstanding player and musician and overall great guy.
    He's left us a huge legacy to build on.

User Info Menu

My first glimpse of Ronny, sorry to say, is this clip. Wonderful, controlled playing, and the guitar sounds great. So sad he died.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    My first glimpse of Ronny, sorry to say, is this clip. Wonderful, controlled playing, and the guitar sounds great. So sad he died.
    I picked this up on a whim years ago, not knowing anything about him. Very cool stuff.

Ronny Jordan - The Quiet Revolution - Amazon.com Music

Ronny jordan's Woody Phifer-ronniejordan-jpg

User Info Menu

I will definitely check it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I will definitely check it out.
    But not everyone's cup-o'-tea, as they say. Click on the sound samples and you'll get an idea.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-12-2017 at 09:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Got it. I detected a hint of smooth, which I don't like, but also roots of funk, which I DO.

User Info Menu

Ronny only really did one truly great album and it was his first: "The Antidote". It had everything going for it including timing. It came out at the exact right moment in history. The "wave" jazz stations were ascendent and still fresh and creative and Ronny's acid-jazz sound on that album was unique. His high speed version of "So What" became a huge hit on those stations and his career took off like a rocket ... coverage in all the magazines (both jazz and guitar). He won some awards and Gibson announced a Ronny Jordan signature model arch top (I don't know if any of them were actually built). The quality of his other albums are all mixed as he tried to chase the lightening in a bottle from the first album. He never really did succeed and his career faded over the years but the live videos, especially the show with the Phifer show a very different side than the albums. He was a truly great player in "Wes via Benson" tradition with a great attack and a real fire in his playing. I've been listening to him since the first album was released but The Antidote is the only one that I listen to as an complete album. I've made a compilation of what I think of as the best of the rest of his albums but both Antidote and that compilation remain in pretty much regular listening rotation in our home.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 12-09-2017 at 11:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I liked "Off the Record" too, a little more r&b than hip hop in the vibe, but still cool.

I'm not big into the smooth stuff, but Ronny was a great tasteful player who seemingly always had a great tone.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 09-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's a brief but interesting article/interview with Ronnie back in 2011:

What strings do you use, Ronny Jordan? | MusicRadar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wdblogic123
    So this must be the one that was made for him?

Ronny jordan's Woody Phifer-ronnie_jordan-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Woody is my dad. It is very nice to see so many people make such wonderful comments about his craft. He has been building his guitars my whole life, I grew up around band saws and saw dust. He was recently featured in Essence Magazines holiday gift guide. His website is up and running, and I have convinced him to open an instagram account. You can get info at Phifer Guitars, Master Guitar Maker and instagram @phiferguitars