The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Best Johnny Smith style pickup?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seymour Duncan

3 4.55%
  • Jason Lollar

24 36.36%
  • Kent Armstrong

36 54.55%
  • Curtis Novak

0 0%
  • Lindy Fralin

3 4.55%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 85

User Info Menu

My Greg Bennett JZ4 is a beautiful guitar with a meh pickup. I am considering these neck mounted pickups as a replacement. Cost is not an issue except where noted. Does anyone have any thoughts pro/con/other about these?

- Seymour Duncan - Johnny Smith from custom shop - $225 (too much...I think)

- Jason Lollar - Johnny Smith - $175

- Kent Armstrong - Jazzy Joe - $107

- Curtis Novak - Johnny Smith - $150

- Lindy Fralin - Johnny Smith - $154

Am I leaving anything out? Not that many custom companies make neck mounted pickups.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If money were no object, I'd get the Lollar.

But for me money is an object so I got the Kent Armstrong Jazzy Joe.

BTW you don't have to buy KA from WD Music, they're much cheaper on eBay, in fact $69.95 shipped.
    Best Johnny Smith style pickup?-lollar-johnny-smith-pickup-jpg

User Info Menu

Kent Armstrong makes a custom had-wound neck pick-up,too at $169 that is supposed to be better.

Best Johnny Smith style pickup?-kent-armstrong-floating-paf-jpg

Kent Armstrong Adjustable Floating PAF (Handmade) - DjangoBooks.com

User Info Menu

Thanks DRS. that looks nice, but I'm really looking for a neck mounted one…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    Thanks DRS. that looks nice, but I'm really looking for a neck mounted one…
    The picture is a pickguard mount but they have both options.

User Info Menu

There is the Bartolini 5J which gets some good reviews...

Best Johnny Smith style pickup?-bartolini-5j-pickup-jpg

Jazz Guitar Humbucker - 5J - Bartolini Pickups & Electronics

It was not convincing enough for me however, after upgrading a Korean Kent Armstrong (not the American hand made) with it.
    In my case I guess I just don't like the tone they give in a general way that's why I routed a classic 57 into the top of my Regent.
    On the other hand maybe a Regent being laminated is not the right vehicule for a floater.
    Last edited by Dirk; 06-12-2020 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting. The JZ4 is Korean made laminate with a Korean made "Duncan designed" floater. It's not horrible but I think a different pickup will make a big difference.

User Info Menu

Djangobooks sells the handwound KS's for $20 cheaper than archtops.com
    http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/kent...adjustable-paf

User Info Menu

How come the original Gibson JS HB's are not an option on the poll? That's what I have on my guitar. I guess one is assuming they are unobtainable now? But you can still get original Monkeys on a stick, still, no?

User Info Menu

Having owned the Bartolini 5J and now the Benedetto S6.

Each of those are the most acoustic pickups I've ever owned. They each allow the woody tone to shine through. Darker than KA handwounds I've owned, and less electric sounding. That's been my personal experience.

User Info Menu

Yeah and also ...

Why oh why can't you get
    full size humbuckets in a jonny smith mount ?

Peter Bernsteins got one
    but I think its a one off

User Info Menu

I like the Bartolini 5J. It sounds better to me than an Armstrong hand wound I used to have. The Bartolini is warmer, but retains a nice acoustic tone. They also cost less and they're readily available through retailers like Musicians Friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Yeah and also ...

Why oh why can't you get

Peter Bernsteins got one
    One thing you have to watch is that a full size humbucker is thicker than a typical floating pickup. There may not be enough room between the top and the strings. I would love a Duncan SM1 Minibucker as a pickguard mounted floater but it's too thick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Yeah and also ...

Why oh why can't you get

Peter Bernsteins got one
    I believe it came from a Gibson Howard Roberts.

User Info Menu

I took a Bartolini off of my '77 L-5C and replaced it with a Lollar. Now I have the Lollar on two guitars.

I love the Lollar. It is relatively low output and has beautiful crystallize highs. I hear the frequency response as quite flat, and it is able to do a fair acoustic guitar sound. I use the amp for tone shaping.

The Bartolini was a lot of people's idea of a great pickup, but not mine. It had big output, lots of mids, and little treble. I think you have to know what you like or want.

User Info Menu

I notice that the Bartolini 5J isn't advertised anywhere with a pickguard mount. Is this an option?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    I notice that the Bartolini 5J isn't advertised anywhere with a pickguard mount. Is this an option?
    this 5J without the neck mount bracket is the only other 5J design I've found:

5JNB | Bartolini Pickups and Electronics

User Info Menu

So how on earth would you mount it?

User Info Menu

You could attach your own flat bracket to the pickup to mount it on the pick guard or you could mount it to the top of the guitar with some kind of removable adhesive.

If it's not mounted to the neck though, it's not really a Johnny Smith-style, is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    I believe it came from a Gibson Howard Roberts.
    Yes , the Howard Roberts did have a Full Size Humbucket , good point David
    although Peter's doesn't have the metal cover on it , does it ?

I wonder how the neck bracket fits to the PU ?

User Info Menu

I've never heard these in person, but they are supposed to sound nice. Bartolini, Atilla Zoller (by Shadow?)

Best Johnny Smith style pickup?-guitar-bartolini-jpg

Best Johnny Smith style pickup?-guitar-zoller-jpg

User Info Menu

I too own a JZ4 and replaced the stock PU with a Bartolini; this made a sensible change but not the one I expected.
    I then went to a routed Classic 57 in order to get the tone I was after (ie:more electric than acoustic) and I'm happy since.
    The Bartolini is a very good PU but never compared it to a KA.
    Maybe it's just me or the acoustic property of the JZ4 which didn't convinced me? Anyway eventhough the JZ4 is really a very good archtop, it's cheap and you can't expect to get same acoustic tone from a real L5 (x10 more expensive), wether amplified or not.
    Last edited by mambosun; 04-01-2014 at 05:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati
    I took a Bartolini off of my '77 L-5C and replaced it with a Lollar. Now I have the Lollar on two guitars.

I love the Lollar. It is relatively low output and has beautiful crystallize highs. I hear the frequency response as quite flat, and it is able to do a fair acoustic guitar sound. I use the amp for tone shaping.

The Bartolini was a lot of people's idea of a great pickup, but not mine. It had big output, lots of mids, and little treble. I think you have to know what you like or want.
    I only have experience with the Lollar JS in the world of JS style pickups. I love the sound! It does sound slightly more acoustic than my Lollar Imperial mounted HB which is in a very similar guitar (both 16" archtops), but I can almost get the same tone out of the Lollar JS. It sounds nice and fat. I was worried that I might not like a JS style floating pickup given I am more of a mounted pickup guy, but so far I'm very happy into all kinds of amps (ZT, Mambo, tube). I do use flatwound strings and that probably gets me closer to my sound concept than if I'd used rounds. I also have a tone control on the JS equipped guitar which I roll off slightly.

User Info Menu

I think you need to be more specific when asking about a "Johnny Smith Style Pickup." Does that specifically mean a floating mini-humbucker? Or does it mean *any* floating pickup?

User Info Menu

After drooling over the Collings City Limits, I decided on the Lollar for my JZ4. It's in the mail; I'll let you know how it sounds...