The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    Anyone ever try the RE cabs with a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight head? Jeff Hales website used to recoomend the lightweight twin 8 and I'd be curious about the difference with the stock Fender cab.

Also, dumb question: what does "EV" mean?
    EV = ElectroVoice

http://m.electrovoice.com/#family/72

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the T8-T cab was very different sounding than the rest of the Raezer line. Much tighter and more open sounding.

8" speakers rule, i'm tellin ya!
    What 8" is used in the redstone T8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    What 8" is used in the redstone T8 ?
    not sure but guessing the eminence beta 8 based on the power rating. that's a great speaker. I believe one of the principal differences between the 2 different RE cabs is that the horizontal used the delta 8 and the tower uses the beta 8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    Anyone ever try the RE cabs with a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight head? Jeff Hales website used to recoomend the lightweight twin 8 and I'd be curious about the difference with the stock Fender cab.

Also, dumb question: what does "EV" mean?
    I haven't tried the Ultralight but it's amazing how many amps sound great with my RE Stealth 10. I have a 6 watt VHT Special 6 that I plug into it from time to time and it just sounds great.

User Info Menu

that's cool patrick. One thing about the open back cabs is that they sound different in every room and particularly if you're not against the wall so that enhancer potentially solves that problem but does it keep heat dissipation from occuring?

My open back cab gries 35 sounded great for jazz. Arguably better than the bigger wattage SS amps I'm currently using but it certainly doesn't have the headroom to do wes style block chords with the thumb when playing at big band volumes.
    Both the Enhancer and the Atlas Stands model are vented at the top, so they do dissipate heat . . somewhat. However, the dissipation is definitely more restricted than it would be if the open back was left . . open. For a gigging musician who might need to leave his tube amp on for 2-3 hours . . that might be an issue. My Fender Pro is never on for more than an hour . . and probably some 30% of that time it's in stand by mode. Heat has never been an issue for me. But, I'm not driving my power tubes with gig level volumes either.

Josh does some amazing things with his amp stand builds, as we've all seen here from his posts and photos. If he's not doing so already, it would be quite easy for him to install a small computer tower type fan on one end of the enclosure and a vent on the other end. That would insure great and continuous air flow in and air flow out.

I just can't tell you enough how much of a difference it makes when the lows are reflexed out of the bottom port . . . instead of being muffled in an enclosed back cab . . or totally lost in an open back cab. Occasionally, I'll get a bug up my ass and break out a Les Paul or a Strat and crank some Allman Bros or classic rock. But, I usually run that through my Princeton Reverb . . . easier to get the over drive break up at lower volume levels. But, the Princeton sounds so much bigger than it is by having the lows reflexed out of the horn under the amp/cabinet.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of the stands, Patrick. And from what I can gather, the Sound Enhancer sells for around $229 plus shipping (?). I think it would be a fabulous idea if they built one that folded flat! I would try one of those in a heart beat.

What I think I will do from now on though, is use heads and cabs, rather than combos. I'm almost ready to have my 2 40 watt combos converted to heads (Allen Old Flame and Vintage Sound Deluxe.) My best tones are through separate cabs at this point, but a folding reflex stand would be worth a try. Looks too bulky to move around, as is, though I'm still into lugging a Twin on occasion…. motivation to keep lifting weights and staying in shape

Jack, I forgot that a buddy of mine has a Twin 8, or did have a few years back. Will check and see if I can steal it for a few days. It's probably 7 years old, purchased new, if he still has it… he goes through gear almost as fast as you

is it a tower or horizontal? The speakers in the horizontal sounded dark/muddy to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I like the idea of the stands, Patrick. And from what I can gather, the Sound Enhancer sells for around $229 plus shipping (?). I think it would be a fabulous idea if they built one that folded flat! I would try one of those in a heart beat.

What I think I will do from now on though, is use heads and cabs, rather than combos. I'm almost ready to have my 2 40 watt combos converted to heads (Allen Old Flame and Vintage Sound Deluxe.) My best tones are through separate cabs at this point, but a folding reflex stand would be worth a try. Looks too bulky to move around, as is, though I'm still into lugging a Twin on occasion…. motivation to keep lifting weights and staying in shape

Jack, I forgot that a buddy of mine has a Twin 8, or did have a few years back. Will check and see if I can steal it for a few days. It's probably 7 years old, purchased new, if he still has it… he goes through gear almost as fast as you
    I think Sound Enhancer is out of business . . or in reorganization or something to that effect. At least they were when I ordered the smaller one from Josh at Atlas Stands. His amp stands do fold, and they've got a carrying strap option too . . so you can sling then on your shoulder like a gig bag. The Enhancer type reflex stand is not something he offeres as a standard. You'd need to contact him and specify exactly what you wanted. But, Josh's work is outstranding. He's the Michael Angelo of amp stands. lolol If you do a search here on this forum . . you can see a wide variety of his amp stands. He's a great guy and very accommodating . . . reasonable prices too. I have no affiliation with him . . . I'm just a VERY satisfied customer. Here's a link to the thread I was referring to;

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...t=Atlas+Stands

User Info Menu

is it a tower or horizontal? The speakers in the horizontal sounded dark/muddy to me.

Horizontal, as I recall. Don't recall what it sounded like, it's been a few years. Had a Clarus head through it. Will check to see if he still has it. I know he sold his Marshall half stack!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    I think Sound Enhancer is out of business . . or in reorganization or something to that effect. At least they were when I ordered the smaller one from Josh at Atlas Stands. His amp stands do fold, and they've got a carrying strap option too . . so you can sling then on your shoulder like a gig bag. The Enhancer type reflex stand is not something he offeres as a standard. You'd need to contact him and specify exactly what you wanted. But, Josh's work is outstranding. He's the Michael Angelo of amp stands. lolol If you do a search here on this forum . . you can see a wide variety of his amp stands. He's a great guy and very accommodating . . . reasonable prices too. I have no affiliation with him . . . I'm just a VERY satisfied customer. Here's a link to the thread I was referring to;

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...t=Atlas+Stands

Thanks, will check in to it, sounds intriguing!

User Info Menu

Checked out the Atlas Stands website. Beautiful stuff and I'm certain with that kind of workmanship, they deserve to be paid for their time, but it looks to be around $800 or more for a stand with the reflective back plate. I would probably spend that money on something else first, but they do look very nice!

User Info Menu

i'm not danny but I imagine he's using his clarus
    The question wasn't addressed to me, but yes, I drive my RE's with AI Clarus amps.

When? I don't remember. I had one and sold it but I'm hoping to get it back. I also have and love my corus and was considering a ten/2 cab. How does it sound compared to the corus?
    I found some emails we exchanged about the T8-T and we also discussed the state of the art of digital cameras--it was in 2004.

The Ten2 is more like a super Coda than a Corus; it has a much bigger sound with more robust bass. This is not always a good thing, since the leader of my big band sometimes complains that I sound "too heavy" when I use my Ten2. Paradoxically, the amp doesn't sound as loud to me at the guitar chair as the Corus does, though apparently it's quite loud out front.

I really like the combination of the Corus with a Ten2 EX cabinet, but I rarely feel motivated to take the cabinet to a gig.

Danny W.

thanks Danny. I'm glad you told me that. I was thinking about a ten2 or ten2 cab as an option to go with my mambo but sounds like i'm better off just getting a T8-T. Let me know if you ever decide to sell yours. what's the diff between the ten2 and ten2 ex?

User Info Menu

thanks Danny. I'm glad you told me that. I was thinking about a ten2 or ten2 cab as an option to go with my mambo but sounds like i'm better off just getting a T8-T. Let me know if you ever decide to sell yours. what's the diff between the ten2 and ten2 ex?
    The Ten2 is a combo amp, the Ten2 EX is an extension cabinet that is the bottom of a Ten2 with the amp section removed.

My T8-T-ER weights 39 pounds, while my Ten2 EX and Corus add up to 42 pounds, but each piece is a lot easier to wrangle around a stage and they can be stacked or separated for better coverage, giving a lot of flexibility.

I just got back from a country-club big-band dance with an audience of about 250. As usual, my Corus was perfectly up to the task without any assistance from the FOH, so I tend to leave my other solutions at home.

I can't see myself selling my T8-T-ER anytime soon, but I am planning to sell a Rich-built Stealth-10-ER very soon.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Update: [I do not know the seller or have anything to do with this sale]: a guy has two new, 200W, 8 Ohm, 1x10 EarCandy Cabs for sale right now on eBay, for great prices. "Made for jazz guitar," he said. Either or both of these would be cool, IMO. As stated before, one of the historic (not current) concerns with EarCandy was the wait time for the cabs; these cabs are there now, so no wait. Worth checking out.

User Info Menu

I'm real tired of you taking personal shots. Everytime we have a discussion you end up feeling the need to take personal shots. Don't bother replying, you're blocked for good.
    For some reason, I'm hearing this in Truman Capote's voice. Too funny.

My best Jazz cab: blackface Tremolux 2x10 cab with Jensen speakers.

User Info Menu

I like my RE JG-10 because it is designed (and in fact works) for both horizontal and vertical placement, being darker/more electric when horizontal and brighter/more acoustic when vertical. However it pushes 30 lbs and only has a single 10", which might turn some people off. I find it really versatile.

User Info Menu

JBL E120. No breakup at all. Pristine clarity, huge frequency response. Aluminum dustcap for beautiful, ringing highs. Can't go wrong with one, it baffles me why they stopped making them. They're still available used.