Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm finding I like different picks, depending on guitar or tone i'm after. Mostly on electrics; on my acoustics I pretty much stick with a Red Bear.

On my electrics, I have Dunlop Ultex heavy, Dunlop XL JAzz III red, and today I just got some white 1.5mm Dunlop Jazz III tortex which are very nice.

In the end, almost any pick will do, and I certainly woudn't have several different picks for different songs at a gig, but at home, it's enjoyable to experiment and experience the different feels and textures different picks provide.

The only pick I really didn't get on with, right out of the gate, were Wegens and V-picks.

"Django Button (8/10) - Super fast and warm, round tone. The round shape glides over strings but can darken your tone a little too much. I never thought I'd like using a button shaped pick but I ended up liking it a lot. Try it...you might be surprised."

These are all I use anymore. The first time I picked one up, I couldn't imagine a person using a pick completely rounded like a button, but I'm addicted to them. I wouldn't mind to find a pick like this but a little bit thicker.
    Any ideas?

http://www.jpstrings.com/D%20Button.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer View Post
    "Django Button (8/10) - Super fast and warm, round tone. The round shape glides over strings but can darken your tone a little too much. I never thought I'd like using a button shaped pick but I ended up liking it a lot. Try it...you might be surprised."

These are all I use anymore. The first time I picked one up, I couldn't imagine a person using a pick completely rounded like a button, but I'm addicted to them. I wouldn't mind to find a pick like this but a little bit thicker.
    Any ideas?

Bumping my question once more. Any ideas?

V-picks offers a button pick, the "Gypsy". It is 1" in diameter and 1.5mm thick.

Chuck

Any ideas?

Michael asked Wegen Picks to make a "button" pick that is modeled after one Django had used. Not perfectly circular, but darn close: Wegen Button Pick - DjangoBooks.com

Picks do make a difference. I was interested in getting a woody sound from my archtop. Synthetics were not able to do there trick. It was not till I started using a maple pick that the discovery was revealed. If you would like one I can get it to you.
    Boutique Pick Reviews (BlueChip, RedBear, V-Picks, etc.)-pick-ad-png

Quote Originally Posted by es34569 View Post
    V-picks offers a button pick, the "Gypsy". It is 1" in diameter and 1.5mm thick.

Chuck
    I have a handful of V-picks, not the Gypsy of course, but of the ones I own they all have a chirp to them. When picking the string one can hear a chirp like sound that after a period of time starts to degrade on ones nerves.
    Have you had any experience with this version of the V-Pick line?

Looks interesting, but from the image it looks a little bigger.

How do they handle a lot of play? Do they the wear down easy?

MD,
    I have several versions of the v-pick, but I've never tried any of the button-shaped picks. Also, I have noticed the chirp sound to which you refer. I've tried different picks angles, but it still remains to some degree. However, I only notice the chirp unamplified. I really like the speed the v-pick material offers, and the way it sticks to your fingers. My go to pick has been the Pro Plec. I may cut a button from one of my Pro Plec's triangle shaped picks and polish the edges.
    Chuck

Not experience with the v- pick as described. There is s jazz pick made of hard plastic that is 3.0 mm which reminds me of what you describe. It is manufactured by Jim Dunlap. It is easy to grip and has a click sound when strumming and nice for melodic single note work.

Another pick I like is Herco Flex 75. It's made of nylon. nice strum quality and single note.

The cello wood pick is my new favorite.

How do they handle a lot of play? Do they the wear down easy?
    They last a long time. After several years of constant playing, the corners get rounded a bit which makes the tone a bit mellower. This is for the Classic original. I have now switched to using a Papa's faux turtle for jazz/instrumental because I find the tone a bit smoother. But the V pick is may choice for rock.

I just added a new review of the latest offering from Gravity Picks...the Sunrise. You can find it on the first page under Continued Reviews #2. ​Gravity Picks finally gave in and released a jazz oriented pick...and I absolutely love it.

Reviews Continued (#3)

Ninja Picks
    (Ninja Picks - DjangoBooks.com)

(7.5/10) - Ninja picks seem pretty basic and straight to the point as they aren't beveled, specially shaped, or anything like that but for some reason I do like them. They have a nice release and good tone. I would say they're worth trying out.

Moustache Picks
    (Moustache Picks - DjangoBooks.com)

Gypsy Jazz 2mm (7/10) - I was a little frustrated with my order when I got these picks. The pick shown on the site looked great and had a nice deep bevel, but what I got barely had any slope at all. The rep at DjangoBooks said that Moustache Picks had discontinued certain models or something like that. Anyway, nothing too special about these picks, but I still reach for them over a regular plastic 351 or something like that.

V-Picks
    (www.v-picks.com)

Instead of reviewing every single model that I've purchased, I've decided to give a general description of V-Picks and then give a number rating to each specific model.

I was was originally a little hesitant to try V-Picks because they seemed to cater towards metal players who wanted a brighter tone. I still don't like that their slogan is "Never Drop Your Pick Again"...I've never had a problem with holding on to picks and I didn't want to spend money on something that focused on grip instead of playability and tone. I finally gave in and ordered some Chicken Pickers. I was pleasantly surprised. They were the perfect compliment to my Telecaster on a New Orleans funky big band gig. More recently I purchased a Farley, Dimension Jr. Smokey Mountain Buffed, Infinity, and Small Pointed. They threw in a free Medium Rounded Ruby Red as a thank you, which I think they do for most orders. The "acrylic blend" that they use produces a nice bright tone but can also enhance middle and bass frequencies as well. It's also super speedy. V-Pick creator Vinni Smith is very personable and will answer any question you could possibly have including which pick is right for your playing style. He said speed bevels don't make sense to him and he couldn't apply one for me when I asked, but hey nobody's perfect. Bottom line: I definitely recommend finding a V-Pick you think suits your style and trying it out. Finding one shouldn't be a problem as they have a HUGE variety of picks covering everything from thin acoustic strummers to their ridiculously huge 11mm Insanity model.

Chicken Picker - (8/10)

Dimension Jr. - (8.5/10)

Infinity - (7.5/10)

Farley - (8/10)

Medium Rounded - (8/10)

Small Pointed - (8/10)

I have a Bluechip Jazz60 and its a little smaller than I hoped for. I have always used Dunlop Jazz iii's. Is the LG jazz60 closer to the jazz iii size, or a little bigger? I want to make sure that if I'm using my non-bluechip picks, I don't have to adjust for the size. The smaller pick definitely has taken some adjustment. I'll send it back in for replacement if anyone can tell me that LG version is closer.

Thanks

Dan

I don't have a whole lot of experience with boutique picks outside of Wegen, but I wanted to test the waters and placed an order with V Picks.

Here are some comments on the models I received:

V Picks
    (V-Picks Guitar Picks : Guitar & Mandolin Picks Handmade in Nashville USA | Some have called them the best guitar pick made today)

Medium Round Pearly Gates 2.75mm: Good sound and comfortable feel, although not a significant enough improvement over my standard Jim Dunlop Jazztone 207 to warrant a switch. The tip was a bit more rounded than that of the 207.

Bb 4.10mm: This was my favorite of the bunch. It's essentially a Medium Round pick with a far thicker profile. Although it's than I'm accustomed to, it took no time at all to get comfortable with it. The combination of heavily rounded corners with thick beveled edges produced a sound reminiscent of a thumb. This might just be the pick that I use with my acoustic archtops going forward.

Dimension Ghost Rim 4.10mm: A bit bigger than the Medium Round, it has three usable beveled sides. The two rounded sides are slightly less rounded than that of the Medium Round, while the sharp edge is sharper than any pick I've played. I liked the rounded tips the best, but I think I might eventually find a use for the pointed end. The Ghost Rim designation is reserved for picks featuring unpolished edges. It was the Ghost Rim edges that I didn't care for. I felt that they produced a raspy sound that felt like an unpleasant aftertaste. I may order another one with the normal polished edges since everything else about the pick is spot on.

edit: Like a good stinky cheese, I've grown fond of its strong and somewhat bitter character. I'm going to continue using the pick and get a normal polished one for comparison. At the end of the day, I think I'll be using both in order to exploit their respective strengths.
    Last edited by Klatu; 05-07-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks

Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks - The Best Guitar Picks Available

I wanted to add these picks to the list because they've become my picks of choice for all applications. First off, their shape is unique. The heart shaped design allows for three unique picking surfaces that work well in different applications. The main point at the bottom of the heart is the perfect alternative to my preferred pick shape, the Dunlop Jazztone 207. Its wide shoulders and slightly rounded point allow for the thickest tones I've been able to produce using a pick. Next up is the pointy tip: it's meant to approximate the function of a Dunlop Jazz III style pick. I find that while it doesn't necessarily increase my picking speed, it does tend to increase volume, so I end up using it on acoustic passages when I need that extra bit of cutting power. Finally there's the rounded edge which works best for strumming. Being that I don't strum very often, this surface doesn't get much use.

Beyond the unique shape, the other selling point is the material from which it's crafted. It's a relatively new thermo-plastic used in high heat and long wearing engineering applications. It feels different than other plastics I've come across in that the tone it produces is slightly more "dry" (I understand that describing tone is a difficult task). Since the plastic is meant to be used in demanding applications, it resists wear to a far greater degree than any other material I've used.

A testament to the longevity of these picks that I've been using the same pick for three months for every application including electric, acoustic, and gypsy jazz, and the pick shows no wear. I dig in on occasion when playing acoustic, so the fact that there is no evidence of wear after such use is impressive.

Last edited by Klatu; 10-06-2015 at 08:18 AM.

I tried a dragon heart pick and while it sounds fine, I simply can't hold anything but a small 358 size teardrop. If anyone in the U.S. wants to try a dragon heart shoot me a PM. I am currently away from home, my dad is very sick so I may not be home for another week or two so if you want it immediately don't bother.
    Ignorance is agony.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed