The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

classic multi-lam (5) neck..for rigidity sans trussrod

if solid backed, the birdseye would match the outside pattern, inside...you could lightly brush some water on tiny area thru f hole and see if birdseye markings appear clearer

irregardless, a wonderful piece

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 04-16-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: clarity-

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The back and rims are laminated.
    Hofner used metal bars set into the necks of these instruments from the early 1950s until they adopted adjustable truss rods in 1960.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-16-2016 at 11:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Very nice. The neck construction appears to be asymmetrical. Wonder if that was intentional, a standard quirk, or a manufacturing defect making it a second? Regardless it is way cool.

User Info Menu

Standard quirk based on how drunk they were when the made the necks.
    It suggests how seriously they took the whole "let's make guitars" thing.
    And they served beer at lunch.
    Some have it, some don't, and this has absolutely no effect on anything.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-10-2021 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

That's a beauty. I love those.
    It is exactly the Hofner model I lust after (if anyone has an extra - I'm all ears!).

Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

What year would you like?
    I have a pile of them around here in one of the bunkers.
    My personal fave is the 18" prototype "New Committee" purchased from Benker out of the glass showcase at Hofner after he sold the company to B&H:
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Committee-hof-newcommittee-front-jpg Hofner Committee-hof-newcommittee-back-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-09-2022 at 05:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The back and rims are laminated.
    Hofner used metal bars set into the necks of these instruments from the early 1950s until they adopted adjustable truss rods in 1960.
    good to know that HammerTone ...
    will the pre-truss rod hofners take something like TI 13s without issues ?

what guage were the 50s hofner Presidents and Committies etc made for ?

generally speaking i mean
    i won't hold you to it man !

User Info Menu

Congrats! In terms of workmanship the vintage Hofner Committees and their plainer looking German 470 versions, despite of being factory-made guitars, were comparably well made, especially the necks. A little more scrutinizing reveals great construction details like, for example, accomplished tonebars, even on the later electric versions with a pressed solid spruce top. Here the cello-like shape and workmanship of the tonebars of a 1961 - uh - 470-S-T3 with three pickups and active preamp circuit:

Hofner Committee-p1000674a-jpgHofner Committee-dscf0955b-jpg

>> The coolest looking guitar ever! <<

For some people, in terms of the looks - certainly!

For others, it could be a big-bodied Hoyer Bianka: (Arnold) HOYER . Recently, I was lucky enough to A/B an original early 60s Bianka against one of the "Bianka2005" replicas that later has been put "on steroids" concerning the tone...

Hofner Committee-hoyer-bianka-jpg
    Last edited by Ol' Fret; 04-18-2016 at 11:19 AM.

User Info Menu

I greatly prefer the elegance of Hammertone's prototype to the somebody-must-have-eaten-the-moldy-rye-bread glitz of the two Blankas pictured in color. Though i must give the makers points for sheer thoroughness in carrying through the concept. De gustibus... and all that. I do find the history fascinating. Thank you so much for posting, Ol' Fret!

User Info Menu

How lovely. I have a 1958 Committee brunette electric with wooden bar pickups that needs loads of repair. I bought it totally in pieces but it is complete apart from the tuners. I will probably sell it when it is done.

User Info Menu

Congrats on a fine purchase old tube, or judging from your location, shall I say old valve? That's a worthy plunge to make. I love old Hofners, they're wonderful guitars. A sleeping giant IMO. If one considers it, the cost to make a Committee today would be astronomical.

Here's one that got away from the collection recently, a nice brunette from '59...

Hofner Committee-full-front-jpgHofner Committee-full-back-jpg

Another pretty upscale Hofner, a Model 468 (the North American - Euro "Committee"). Sadly, going to be letting this go soon...

Hofner Committee-full-front-jpgHofner Committee-cu-back-jpgHofner Committee-cu-front-jpg

User Info Menu

That was a terrific find, Phil! I have the same model and absolutely love it. They have a really good acoustic sound too - worth sticking a mic in front as well as plugging it in! I hope you'll both be very happy together!

User Info Menu

I am in Houston, Texas and I have owned Hofner Committee Serial No. 2034 for many years. When I was younger, dumber, and richer I bought this guitar sight unseen from a fellow in California with the assurance that it was all original and in great condition. Well, it was neither. Only thing original was the tailpiece. The neck had been cracked and re-glued along the original joint where the neck joined the heel. Not surprisingly, seller vanished. Oh well, lesson learned. The repair was stable and the guitar played well so I played it for years with no problems. Then I thought I'd find original parts and "fix her up". Pulled the aftermarket stuff off and then... Well, you can guess the rest of the story.

So now I have a disassembled 1953 Hofner Committee with an ugly neck repair. I've accepted the fact that I'll never put her back together. I'd like somebody who has the love of these old Hofners and the inclination to finish the job to have her. I don't want any money for her, just somebody to pay the shipping. Anybody interested?

It looks like it's been awhile since this forum has been active but the topic seemed on point so I figured I'd try it here first.

This is my first post so I'm not sure how to post pictures.

User Info Menu

Pics of 2034:

Hofner Committee-02-fhole-treble-small-jpgHofner Committee-01-front-whole-small-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Committee-03-back-detail-small-jpg Hofner Committee-04-binding-small-jpg Hofner Committee-05-rim-bass-small-jpg Hofner Committee-06-fretboard-top-small-jpg Hofner Committee-07-headstock-front-small-jpg Hofner Committee-08-neck-repair-treble-small-jpg 

User Info Menu

Message sent.
    I'd love to restore this guitar!
    And I'm sure I can find the correct original parts in the bunker.
    These really are lovely instruments, and this one (unlike so many I have seen) has at least not been chopped up.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-16-2018 at 03:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice early one! Doesn't look too bad, neck needs work obviously, but at least there is not the usual 6 inch screw holding it together and nobody has routed the top. Deserves to be brought back to full glory. Great guitars, cherish mine.

User Info Menu

That neck crack really doesn't look bad compared to many I've seen. In fact it looks to be in really good condition to me!!!!! I made some committee style tuners out of old tuners from a lesser hofner model, the bridge is available, and the pickguard was just clear plastic and the brackets are still available. Simple stuff for someone conversant with these things. That guitar could quite easily be back to its former glory.

Here is a pic of the tuners I modified. The wonky one used the original holes so it was wonky from new! However I messed up something else on this guitar (experimented with a new lacquer which didn't work) so it is back in bits, but will be one one piece again soon.
    Hofner Committee-img_1133-jpg

User Info Menu

Phil,

Hammertone is very much an expert on Hofner guitars--archtops, in particular.

Wowsers! What a beautiful guitar. Enjoy it to the maximum.

GT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Phil,
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Hammertone is very much an expert on Hofner guitars--archtops, in particular.
    Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I look forward to bringing this guitar back to playing condition. I'll post pix of the process for communal amusement.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-23-2018 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, that took awhile.
    I was busy - had to return a few videos.
    Many thanks to Mr. NeedMore.
    Correct tuners and pickguard coming up soon enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Committee-hof-committee-2034_8759-jpg 

User Info Menu

Great looker Old Tube. May I suggest a set of Martin Retro Monel strings for it. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

[

I'm only the 3rd owner! Bought in new in 1955/6 in Belfast by a "big band" player and he used the guitar until 1975 when it was purchased by the chap I bought it from.

If you ever want to repatriate this beautiful guitar back to Northern Ireland, let me know!

Attachment 30467Attachment 30468Attachment 30469Attachment 30470Attachment 30471[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso

I'm only the 3rd owner! Bought in new in 1955/6 in Belfast by a "big band" player and he used the guitar until 1975 when it was purchased by the chap I bought it from.

If you ever want to repatriate this beautiful guitar back to Northern Ireland, let me know!

Attachment 30467Attachment 30468Attachment 30469Attachment 30470Attachment 30471
    nothing a couple of pickups and a giant hunk of clear plastic pickguard can't fix, but that's damn nice. i always love to see the big froggy headstock and the flowery mixed media inlays and that bird's eye back. don't really make them like that anymore. or maybe they would, if i were beyond rich.

at any rate, you're a fortunate duck. maybe not the prettiest thing i saw in belfast, but it's close.

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I bought a 1964 Hofner Committee second hand in 1969, [serial number 1555]. I loved that old guitar and had for 45 years!, I used it regularly in a church band and a couple of other bands however as I got older it had lived in a box under the bed for a couple of years and I felt it deserved a better owner who would love and cherish it, and I made the mistake of selling it. The original bridge had been damaged and replaced, as had the tuner keys, and the neck had a small split which had been repaired and was showing signs of splitting again! I had had the pickups rewound about 30 years ago and the electrics were still working perfectly even after all that time. and I really miss that old guitar! So, If anybody bought a 1964 Hofner Committee, Serial No 1555 I would appreciate the chance of re-owning it [I passed it on to a dealer in Gt Yarmouth, England]

Many thanks

Gerry K
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner Committee-hofner-committee-1964-sn-1555-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry K
    Hi All,

I bought a 1964 Hofner Committee second hand in 1969, [serial number 1555]. I loved that old guitar and had for 45 years!, I used it regularly in a church band and a couple of other bands however as I got older it had lived in a box under the bed for a couple of years and I felt it deserved a better owner who would love and cherish it, and I made the mistake of selling it. The original bridge had been damaged and replaced, as had the tuner keys, and the neck had a small split which had been repaired and was showing signs of splitting again! I had had the pickups rewound about 30 years ago and the electrics were still working perfectly even after all that time. and I really miss that old guitar! So, If anybody bought a 1964 Hofner Committee, Serial No 1555 I would appreciate the chance of re-owning it [I passed it on to a dealer in Gt Yarmouth, England]

Many thanks

Gerry K
    Good luck with re-buying your guitar!