The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62

User Info Menu

Yeah, I love tweed clean tones. Even crunchy tones if I am in a 50s mood

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Something I see over and over: we spend a lot of money on a splendid acoustic instrument but what comes out of the speaker is the sound of a humbucker and the amp nuanced ever so slightly by the quality of the guitar.

I really do like the electric sound of an amplified archtop through a Fender amp. However, my first choice is to get a quality acoustic tone to the audience. Working on it. Not quite there yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    It's not just the sound, it's also the touch sensitively you get from a good valve/tube amp that I like, that's why I love my Fender Deluxe Reverb, good valves help enormously, luckily I purchased quite a few boxes of military spec mullard valves many, many years ago when they were less expensive.
    wise dude !

I just don't like Fender amps. I can't stand fender to be honest. Their reverb is too much and often adds a harsh bitting to the trebles, which are already way to grating as it is. The tone controls go from 1 to 1000 without anything in between (spinal tap eat your heart out).

Instead I found the easiest and most controllable tone was from S/S amps.

That being said, I wanted a more versatile amp for different stuff. The only Tube amp I have found that prefers perfectly across the trebles and has great reverb is the Two Rock. Cant beat 6l6's for jazz cleans. El84's just sound way too ceramic/metallic.

I'm also not really impressed by the spade of 'Jazz' dedicated amps out there.

A good Roland cube 60 for the price is great, or if you can afford one get a Two Rock or a Toneking Imperial (just two examples).

Best to go to a shop and try the Valves V:S S/S, then when you know what you feel more comfortable choosing, try different ones in that design and go from there.

User Info Menu

jazz amp = lots of clean headroom without lots of weight!

User Info Menu

Fender Mustang III, I'm telling you, tube tone without the weight.

User Info Menu

Most jazz guitarists look for 4 things in an amp (surprise, surprise):

1) tone
    2) headroom
    3) reliability
    4) portability (size & weight)

Many tube amps meet criteria (1), some meet criteria (3) but most tube amps to meet criteria (2) don't meet criteria (4). Many solid state amps meet criteria (2, 3, & 4) and criteria (1) to differing degrees. So its a trade-off. When touring, criteria (2-4) are essential and as long as (1) is reasonable they are happy. Lugging heavy cartage, having unreliable equipment or inadequate headroom is a death nail to a touring artist.

So tonally most players prefer the tone and feel of tube amps in a studio, but having reliable, portable and loud amplification is what drives the use of solid state amps. This being said, some solid state amps today sound very good (mine does)!

My $.02

So, out of the current solid state amps on the market, which fall into the category of Fender-ish tone, and which fall into the category of Polytone-ish tone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L4CESN
    So, out of the current solid state amps on the market, which fall into the category of Fender-ish tone, and which fall into the category of Polytone-ish tone?
    Solid state amps that attempt to simulate Fender Blackface cleans include:
    Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight (discontinued, but occasionally available on used market)
    Quilter Labs
    Fender Mustang

Solid state amps that come closer to the Polytone sound:
    Henriksen Jazzamp
    Evans JE200 and other related models
    Ibanez Wholetone

Solid state amps that can function as clean PAs or acoustic amps:
    Acoustic Image Clarus (brighter than Polytone, and very different than Fender cleans)

Of the models listed above, I have personal experience with only two, the Acoustic Image Clarus and the Evans. I can vouch for the construction and tone of both.

In terms of construction, neither amp has ever let me down or needed maintenance. Last month, I took a week long cruise and forgot to turn off the AI Clarus since it's so quite. When I returned, I saw the pilot light on and feared that it may have been damaged from having been on for so long without a break. Fortunately, there was no damage and it was no hotter than it would be had I only used it a few hours.

In regard to tone, if I were to keep one of them, it would be the AI Clarus since it is so very different than my tube amps. The Evans produces a thick, pleasant electric tone that has some of the soft feel of a good tube amp. Since I have tube amps that already serve that purpose, would sacrifice it in favor of the Clarus since it serves as an electric amp, acoustic amp, and a PA when used alongside a microphone.

User Info Menu

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous post.

The AI is in a class of its own. I actually use mine with a solid body electric (normally a tele) and I find the tone to be satisfactory. I actually think the amp really pushes me to be a better player as it truly highlights and shortcomings or flubs in my playing.

I listen to my videos/recordings and any small error sure jumps out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I'm no expert on jazz amps, but I certainly "know my way around" tube guitar amps for blues and rock. As much as I love Fender amps (I own one, and plan to own more), my favorite "jazz" (which for me is more old-school swing anf jump blues) tone didn't come out of a Fender amp. Most likely a Gibson EH-150/185 or something along those lines... Charlie Christian, Oscar Moore, the guys who played on Louis Jordan's stuff, even EARLY BB King, which was more of a jump blues style than the "straight" blues he became known for in later years.

If I were to buy an amp "for jazz", it would need to be significantly different sounding than my current amps, and I too am a "tube guy"... but more important, that old-school, not-too-much-bass/not-too-bright/sort-of-all-mids tone would be what I'm after. And a little grind when you dig into the strings. I MIGHT be able to get that out of a Fender tweed or brownface, but no way will a blackface make that sound.

If you like the good old Gibson EH-185 sound have an eye and ear on a Elektra "The 185" amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i agree, the polytone tone is dark and life imitating art took a turn for the worse with all the dull, lifeless jazz tones that emanated from that branch of the jazz guitar tone tree.

However, given that tube amps require more maintenance and are heavy, etc., i'm willing to trade some of that livelyness for the convenience
    The four doctrines of The Decay Of Lying by Oscar Wilde :
    "Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life."
    "Art never expresses anything but itself."
    "All bad art comes from returning to Life and Nature, and elevating them into ideals."
    "Lying, the telling of beautiful untrue things, is the proper aim of Art."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoergeBenson
    I just don't like Fender amps. I can't stand fender to be honest.
    so you've been assimilated into the blah/meh world of sterile, lifeless, solid state amps.

You do realize that your namesake and almost every great jazz guitarist alive strives to get the fender tube amp jazz guitar tone ?

User Info Menu

Since different guitars and different pickups(and strings) sound different with different amps, and since everyone has their own tastes in tone, why don't you just ... take your guitar to every good music store within a reasonable drive and try out every amp you see that's about the right size for you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFour00
    Since different guitars and different pickups(and strings) sound different with different amps, and since everyone has their own tastes in tone, why don't you just ... take your guitar to every good music store within a reasonable drive and try out every amp you see that's about the right size for you?
    Unfortunately a lot of the amps that are popular in this community aren't easy to find at local stores.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Unfortunately a lot of the amps that are popular in this community aren't easy to find at local stores.
    Are you saying that a guitarist, weighing the opinions of the local heros on this message board, should mail-order a boutique jazz amp and deal with returning it if it doesn't sound right? I think I'd only resort to that (well, I'd never resort to that) if I tried every amp within a 50 mile radius and still couldn't find anything, including Craigslist.

User Info Menu

Not easy to find? Try IMPOSSIBLE. So many "boutique" amp brands not carried widely by mom-and-pop stores.... alot are purchased online after watching video demos and reading reviews.....

I could go to NYC (probably 2 hours, door-to-door, 1 way, for me) to try out some Swarts or Magnatones, which wouldn't be TOO bad, if you're looking to drop $2K on an amp... but alot of people live in flyover country, many hours from the nearest dealer.....

Even my local Guitar Centers (which are supposed to be "big" and have "lots of stuff") don't even have a selection of high-end Fender amps (like custom shop ones), let alone boutique amps....

User Info Menu

Are you saying that a guitarist, weighing the opinions of the local heros on this message board, should mail-order a boutique jazz amp and deal with returning it if it doesn't sound right? I think I'd only resort to that (well, I'd never resort to that) if I tried every amp within a 50 mile radius and still couldn't find anything, including Craigslist.
    Apparently you, UNlike many others, live in an area with lots of dealers that carry boutique amp brands. Congratulations.

User Info Menu

I have settled on two amps. If I have help moving and setting up, it's a DRRI head into a Weber California Ceramic 15; if it's all up to me (or the gig involves limited space) it's the Jazzmaster Ultralight. Both sound great (with a slight nod going to the DR, due to the sweetness of the top end), look great (the Weber cab has matching cosmetics to the head) and I have stopped looking for another amp for guitar.

Here's an odd observation, by the way: there are a number of jazz guitarists in this area, and none of them plays the same guitar or uses the same amp as the others -- yet they all sound very much alike (not a bad thing, after all!). The point is that we all recognize that "jazz tone" but there are many paths up the mountain.

The Concept of a Jazz Guitar Amp-carvinanddr_zpsb3c04626-jpg

The Concept of a Jazz Guitar Amp-fenderjazzmaster-jpg

User Info Menu

No, I think that everyone has to follow whatever path they think works for them given their needs and wants but there are a lot possible solutions that most of us are unlikely to find unless we take a chance and try a few things that we have to buy blind. I can certainly understand not wanting to do that but if that's the case and you choose not to take the risk then there are other disadvantages that will likely have to be accepted instead, such as more limited options and more effort that must go into the search. I can rack up a lot of miles and spend a lot of gas money searching a 50 mile radius in a place where gas is about $5.60 a gallon.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 05-15-2014 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe

The Concept of a Jazz Guitar Amp-fenderjazzmaster-jpg
    Love the Steve Vai approved FAN!!!! So the audience can watch your long hair flow with the music!! LOL

User Info Menu

Another of Nocturne's Moonshine '39:

(sorry, a FB link is all that's available right now, he just posted it... SWEET!)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201662673161334

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Love the Steve Vai approved FAN!!!! So the audience can watch your long hair flow with the music!! LOL
    Ha ha. Actually it was a photo taken in the summer and I couldn't run the clothes dryer and the air at the same time in that room so I added the fan.

But I'll put Steve's name on it and pay shipping. Make me an offer over $5000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    Here's an odd observation, by the way: there are a number of jazz guitarists in this area, and none of them plays the same guitar or uses the same amp as the others -- yet they all sound very much alike (not a bad thing, after all!).
    Thank you. And btw, I like your Carvin.

User Info Menu

I have auditioned tons of gear this way. I'd much rather try something in my own home for a couple of days and pay shipping if I choose to return it than being limited to what I can find within a reasonable (or even not-so-reasonable) driving distance. Every guitar and amp I have arrived at my door in a cardboard box. Quite a number left the same way, but so what? The net result is I get to pick from what's available all over, rather than just in the area.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 05-16-2014 at 09:10 AM.