Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 70

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Like this presentation:
    That sounds terrific.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The guitar will ship FedEx from New Jersey Monday and I'm hoping to have it by weeks end. I'm not looking for the guitar to "compete" with one of my other guitars. I think any guitar with a proper set-up has something to offer and it just depends on what sound one is searching for.

At this point in my life I consider myself to be more collector than player and am fortunate enough to be able to buy an instrument if I like it. I practice when I can, but also play bluegrass squareneck resonator guitar, so I split my little bit of free time between 2 different genres of music on 2 quite different instruments. Practicing for me is a sense of accomplishment and is also a great stress reliever.

Don't have much opportunity to try upper-end instruments here in Shreveport, LA, but do my research and order online. There is a great set-up guy here in town and he does all of my instruments.

Recently took possession of a natural 2014 Gibson L5 CES (24 months interest free financing and 50% off Gibson's inflated MSRP) and a used Sadowsky LS-17. Both fantastic instruments with different and distinctive sounds. Those 2 were additions to my hollow body archtop guitar collection (natural Gibson Byrdland, sunburst maple Gibson L4, sunburst Gibson ES-775, Foster Basin Street, 7-string Eastman AR810CE and 1978 Herb Ellis Aria Pro II) and I'm looking forward to adding the Seventy Seven Jazz Hawk even though some may consider it to be a lesser guitar.

I'll keep y'all posted on the SS Hawk Jazz and post some pictures when able.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on the purchase.

I have 3 Seventy Seven guitars - an Exrubato, a Stork Jazz, and a custom Robin with a Lollar CC in the neck (see picture). The build quality on the Robin and Stork Jazz is superb (probably equivalent to my Sadowsky JH). The necks are quite chunky if you're used to the slim Gibson type - but personally I find them quite comfortable.

I find these guitars great value for money and could say the same for Fujigen fenders. I guess I have more confidence in Japanese guitars after a few dodgy experiences with USA Fender and Gibson.

Looking forward to hearing your views on the Hawk (you certainly have some good references in your collection).
    Seventy Seven Hawk-p1040455c-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Seventy Seven Hawk-77-robin-custom-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mezza
    Congratulations on the purchase.

I have 3 Seventy Seven guitars - an Exrubato, a Stork Jazz, and a custom Robin with a Lollar CC in the neck (see picture). The build quality on the Robin and Stork Jazz is superb (probably equivalent to my Sadowsky JH). The necks are quite chunky if you're used to the slim Gibson type - but personally I find them quite comfortable.

I find these guitars great value for money and could say the same for Fujigen fenders. I guess I have more confidence in Japanese guitars after a few dodgy experiences with USA Fender and Gibson.

Looking forward to hearing your views on the Hawk (you certainly have some good references in your collection).
    Seventy Seven Hawk-p1040455c-jpg
    I think Robin tele is very light because of chambered body?

User Info Menu

Yes - it is practically hollow with only a small block under the bridge.

User Info Menu

Mezza that's a sweet looking 77 Robin with that CC pup and I really like that natural finish. If I'm not mistaken the Robin was an AE Series guitar produced in the Philippines and is no longer in production. I've not seen one for sale in quite a while.

User Info Menu

That's right - this could be the last Robin ever made in Japan. It had to be made in the Momose factory after the Seventy Seven factory burnt down (my "first" Robin was boxed ready to ship when the fire started in the paint shop so we nicknamed this one The Phoenix). The CC pup is a revelation - great warmth and string definition - seems to suit the hollow mahogany body and 24.75 scale.

They started making the Robin in the Philippines after the fire.
    Last edited by Mezza; 08-05-2014 at 08:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mezza
    Yes - it is practically hollow with only a small block under the bridge.
    Is it possible to find any sound of it?
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Off topic maybe, I didn't know the factory burnt down.
    Would this be the Headway factory?
    I visited there some years ago to get info on a prototype guitar I have which was made by Masayuki Tskaesu, he's the guy behind the seventy seven brand. He was in the Philippines so I didn't meet him but the factory manager gave me a tour and I was impressed.

User Info Menu

Hi kris - I haven't got around to posting some audio yet. And here is a link to the factory fire (have some tissues handy)

User Info Menu

The Seventy Seven Hawk Jazz shipped from Japan and is taking a bit longer than expected to reach me.
    Attached Images Attached Images Seventy Seven Hawk-h-jazz1-jpg Seventy Seven Hawk-h-jazz2-jpg Seventy Seven Hawk-h-jazz3-jpg Seventy Seven Hawk-h-jazz4-jpg 

User Info Menu

Patience, my friend, it's looking great. Red looks mighty tasty...

HAWK-JAZZ - SeventySeven Guitars Official Site

User Info Menu

Check the SeventySeven guitars Facebook, there's a full depth model coming up: the Fat Hawk. I already want one!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just received the Hawk Jazz in natural and yes; it's all that and a bag of chips. The workmanship is flawless and it plays, feels and sounds fantastic. I'll need to get it strung up with a set of flatwounds, but it sounds great with the Elixir Nanowebs that it came with. I've already inquired as to when the fat body Hawk will be available and would like to get a single pickup version in natural finish. The Seventy-Seven brand guitars are quality instruments at a great price point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Forensbro
    Just received the Hawk Jazz in natural and yes; it's all that and a bag of chips ...
    Now we need some sound clips, please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Now we need some sound clips, please.
    +1

User Info Menu

The Fat Hawk is a special run for a Japanese music store. AT some point they may be available in the states. Ive asked for them to make a p90 version also, Ill give the details as I get them. Bob

User Info Menu

Seventy-seven Guitars got back to me with information about the FAT HAWK. Love the moniker. Corroborating Top of the Arch's report, they are a custom run for a Japanese retailer.

However, one can place an order for a custom FAT HAWK with your choice of pickup.

It is of standard ES-175 specs. : laminated maple body, rosewood fretvoard, mahogany neck (probably African Khaya), 628mm scale length, 81mm rim depth.

I asked for a quote on a custom jobbie with a 3-point mount Charlie Christian CC UK pup and Bakelite knobs which they said they would be happy to do..

User Info Menu

Did they say which retailer?

I saw a beautiful Exrubato Custom in red at Ikebe recently that gave me major GAS.

Shame I got no spare cash.

User Info Menu

No; I didn't ask and should have.

The Transparent Red Exrubato Custom (I have one Iced Tea and one in Transparent Black) and Transparent Red Hawk look really alluring...

User Info Menu

Placing a custom order is usually an easy and painless task. As a Seventy Seven dealer Ive placed custom orders and the wait time is not what one would expect for a custom made guitar. The longest Ive had to wait was 5 mos. I guarantee its worth the wait. Bob

User Info Menu

I see that they describe themselves as Seventy Seven by Headway.
    I visited the Headway factory (workshop would be a better description) some years ago though they were only making flat top acoustics.
    I met a few of the staff including the sprayer and a manager named Aki Shiokawa.
    Those guys were really into their work, real attention to detail and no CNC. Old school.

There's another brand called STR which shares some of the esthetics of the 77 jazz range, similar finish and binding but more original designs. Look great but quite a bit more expensive. Maybe worth checking out though.

User Info Menu

The STR brand is custom order mostly. Super build quality and a bit more costly than Seventy Seven. Bob

User Info Menu

Thanks Bob
    I've seen them in a few stores, they probably placed custom orders, but I've seen custom Ibanez models in the same store so I guess that's part of their business model.

Pricey as you say.