The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 70

User Info Menu

Seventy Seven has 2 thinline full hollow guitars I've been looking at:

The Hawk Standard - Hog neck, rosewood board, lam maple top, sides & back. $1800

The Hawk Jazz - maple neck, ebony board, lam spruce top, lam maple back & sides. $2000

They will do a single neck pickup for an additional $200, and about a 4 month lead time.

Has anyone here played these guitars, and if so, what were your impressions?
    The only place I know of here in the states to get one is on Ebay, & the seller doesn't take any returns for any reason. That a huge red flag for me. What if I get a defective unit, what if I can't hang with the neck profile? These would be the probably the only reasons I would likely need to return the guitar.

Another option would be to buy from a Japanese dealer, which presents it's own set of issues if a return is necessary.

I do like the the concept & execution though, it's right in my wheelhouse, as long as the neck isn't too skinny.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Cobra; 03-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like the look of these too - given your uncertainty about neck profile etc. - if you got one and then wanted to sell it, having only a single pup could be harder to find a buyer. I've noticed on Gbase that with vintage, thinner, hollowbodies like Gibson 125T's, Epi Sorrento's, and Gretsches, that the single pup ones are less in demand and go for cheaper. I only play jazz, so like just the one pup (plus it makes the guitar a bit lighter) - but all the blues/rock guys want that bridge pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by 3625
    I like the look of these too - given your uncertainty about neck profile etc. - if you got one and then wanted to sell it, having only a single pup could be harder to find a buyer. I've noticed on Gbase that with vintage, thinner, hollowbodies like Gibson 125T's, Epi Sorrento's, and Gretsches, that the single pup ones are less in demand and go for cheaper. I only play jazz, so like just the one pup (plus it makes the guitar a bit lighter) - but all the blues/rock guys want that bridge pickup.
    I agree about the 2 pickups. It seems weird to have to pay an upcharge to subtract a pickup.
    Awhile back there was a post on TGP about the Exrubato that was very positive about Seventy Seven build quality, which put the brand on my radar, but I wasn't really looking for a double cutaway semi hollow. Then they released the Hawk in 2013 which ticks all my boxes. If I could get some kind of awareness on the the neck size & profile it would be easier to make a decision.

User Info Menu

Ask Jack Z he used to own a guitar made by them.

User Info Menu

Looks very interesting.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

in another thread, some weeks ago, itsall4you asked us our opinion on the finish of these guitars
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...ral-burst.html
    Maybe you can ask him ?

User Info Menu

Those Seventy Seven Hawks look great. I own 2 Seventy Seven guitars, an Albatross Jazz with humbuckers and one with P-90s. Sorry, no experience with the Hawk, as it is so new, but I'll give you my impressions of the ones I have.

The necks on mine are not slim. I would describe them as a nice full D shape, but not excessively fat. I find them to be very comfortable, with immaculate fret work. From what I have read about the various Seventy Seven models, they all seem to share a similar neck profile. The guy on Ebay that sells these is named Eichi, and he was very good about answering my questions and is a player himself, so I'm sure he could describe the neck.

The pickups and electronics are top notch. Quality of woods and workmanship is among the best. If I was looking for this type of guitar, I would have no hesitation ordering one. But that's me.

Your concerns about buying with a no-refund policy are certainly valid! I find these guitars to be a good value for the money. However, this is a relatively unknown brand and that will affect resale value. So there is that element of risk involved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Nice - but it told us more about the guitarist than it did about the guitar !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra
    I agree about the 2 pickups. It seems weird to have to pay an upcharge to subtract a pickup.
    Awhile back there was a post on TGP about the Exrubato that was very positive about Seventy Seven build quality, which put the brand on my radar, but I wasn't really looking for a double cutaway semi hollow. Then they released the Hawk in 2013 which ticks all my boxes. If I could get some kind of awareness on the the neck size & profile it would be easier to make a decision.
    The up charge is really to manage a custom order. One pickup is not really any different than a custom neck profile, or a different wood for the top. It takes human attention. Life is a lot easier when they're all fundamentally the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Those Seventy Seven Hawks look great. I own 2 Seventy Seven guitars, an Albatross Jazz with humbuckers and one with P-90s. Sorry, no experience with the Hawk, as it is so new, but I'll give you my impressions of the ones I have.

The necks on mine are not slim. I would describe them as a nice full D shape, but not excessively fat. I find them to be very comfortable, with immaculate fret work. From what I have read about the various Seventy Seven models, they all seem to share a similar neck profile. The guy on Ebay that sells these is named Eichi, and he was very good about answering my questions and is a player himself, so I'm sure he could describe the neck.

The pickups and electronics are top notch. Quality of woods and workmanship is among the best. If I was looking for this type of guitar, I would have no hesitation ordering one. But that's me.

Your concerns about buying with a no-refund policy are certainly valid! I find these guitars to be a good value for the money. However, this is a relatively unknown brand and that will affect resale value. So there is that element of risk involved.
    Thanks so much for your input Gilpy. I did email Eiichi and he answered all of my questions. He echoed what you said about the neck size, so that pretty much dispenses my fears with regarding the neck profile.
    I have yet to read any negatives about the build quality. Everything I've read so far about the fit & finish has been stellar.
    I was looking to get a Collings but I just can't swing the jing right now, so I'd like to get the best bang for the buck right around $2k...
    The other guitar on my radar is the Peerless Cremona 16", although I'm not sure of the neck size...
    How would you characterize the tone of the stock Seventy Seven humbuckers? Can you get realistic conventional jazz sounds? Good for jump swing and R&B?
    Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    in another thread, some weeks ago, itsall4you asked us our opinion on the finish of these guitars
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...ral-burst.html
    Maybe you can ask him ?
    Thanks for the tip!
    I'll shoot the OP in that thread a PM & see what he has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    The up charge is really to manage a custom order. One pickup is not really any different than a custom neck profile, or a different wood for the top. It takes human attention. Life is a lot easier when they're all fundamentally the same.
    Thanks for the reply Jim. You're right, of course, just seems bass ackwards...
    If I do buy a Hawk, I'll just get one with 2 pickups.
    I sure don't want to wait 4 months or longer & spend the extra money.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply Jim. You're right, of course, just seems bass ackwards...
    If I do buy a Hawk, I'll just get one with 2 pickups.
    I sure don't want to wait 4 months or longer & spend the extra money.
    It does seem backwards but I've gotten the same response from several smaller production-style builders. Carvin wanted both an up charge and for me to forego the return policy, They were probably right to do so but it convinced me not to try it.

User Info Menu

How would you characterize the tone of the stock Seventy Seven humbuckers? Can you get realistic conventional jazz sounds? Good for jump swing and R&B?
    Thanks to everyone for chiming in!
    I really like the humbuckers in my 77. They have a clear, well balanced sound without harsh highs or muddy lows. The tone control is nicely voiced and useful. I can get very good jazz tones, though that is a subjective thing. I have also used it on R&B and rock gigs and been very pleased.

User Info Menu

New to the forum and have been lurking around soaking up knowledge for quite awhile, so hello everyone.

I own an Alabatross Jazz and an Exrubato Custom. I would not hesitate at all purchasing the Hawk Jazz and am contemplating purchasing one for myself in natural.

The Seventy-Seven guitars build quality, fit and finish are up there with the best in the business and comparatively speaking, their prices are very competitive.

No, their not Gibson, but if you are looking for a superior quality instrument with a great sound at a reasonable price then a Seventy-Seven should certainly be on your short list.

My humble opinion for what it's worth and your mileage may vary.

User Info Menu

Forensbro,

Could you tell a little bit more about the neck-profile, especially compared to that of Gibson - if possible?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hawk Jazz -this guitar sounds great.

User Info Menu

Little Jay the Seventy-Seven necks have a symmetrical D shaped profile. I guess it depends on what Gibson model guitar you are referring to because there is quite a bit of variability between models and years. They are certainly not slim profile like an SG and not near as full a say a 50s reissue. I find the necks to be very close to my '74-'75 Gibson ES-335TD, but not quite as flat at the peak of the radius. The necks have a little substance to them, which I like, but do not feel fat or bulky. I hope that helps, but I know it's always best to have one in your own hands to make a judgement as to whether a particular guitar is a good fit or not.

User Info Menu

Thanx! I really like the neck of my ES-333, whose profile was marketed as 60ies slim-taper, but doesn't feel that slim at all to me.

I'm in the market for a nice hollow body to acompany my ES-333 and the Hawk looks really appealing to me.

User Info Menu

JZucker could likely offer a much better response about the neck and sound of Seventy-Seven guitars (much better player than I'll ever be). I purchased the Albatross Jazz based on one of his instrument demos posted on YouTube and was not at all hesitant or disappointed. I believe (unsure) that he also posted another video playing the Stork model.

You can also contact Eiichi Yamamoto at eastmongo@gmail.com (dealer of Seventy-Seven guitars) and he will answer any and all of your questions; great guy to work with.

User Info Menu

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a natural Hawk Jazz this morning. I need another guitar like I need another hole in my head, but...

User Info Menu

How long will you have to wait for it ?
    Post pics and your impression when you have it in hands !

Congrats on what seems to be a wise decision

User Info Menu

Like this presentation:

User Info Menu

Folks considering the 77 Guitars Hawk Jazz should also be made aware of the Exrubato Jazz and Stork Jazz. The former is an ES-335 style laminated spruce top and the latter is a chambered Les Paul style laminated spruce top.