The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34
    After looking at the Etheridge video for the umpteenth time, it seems it has only a partial block so is a semi-semi-acoustic ...

What does "
    Acoustically tuned chambers" mean though?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Rollins
    After looking at the Etheridge video for the umpteenth time, it seems it has only a partial block so is a semi-semi-acoustic ...

What does "
    Acoustically tuned chambers" mean though?
    Like much of the world... marketing hype? :-)

In my experience when "features" are declared, and details not revealed it's meaningless. If it were, at the very least there would be a "Patent applied for" and / or trademark statements if it really meant anything.

They could have said:

"Acoustically perfect sound holes"

or

"Tuning fork tuned neck joint"

or even

"Interior dimensions mathematically perfected"

or other some such gobbleygook and get players to scratch their head searching Google :-)

Ive had one for a few months now, brand new.

It plays and sounds like a solid electric to me.

There isnt much vibration of the top which is quite thick, probably about 12mm thick, which tapers to about 6mm near the soundholes. The finishing touches were likely rushed on mine. i.e. The nut was roughly filed, with sharp edges and corners, (easy fix) and the fret ends could have done with a finer file. The blend control makes little difference to my ears or it could be my amp. The bridge is a tunomatic with the wire, can be a bit rattly.

The neck appears to be one piece, and straight as. Nice big neck and shape. It feels like it will be a long lasting, solid workhorse instrument.

Im just not feeling it, literally. Little bit sterile, but it is brand new, needs some time perhaps. I thought i was getting a semihollow, but i should treat it more like a solid electric, and not expect anything else from it.

Sounds a bit disappointing from what looks to be a great combination of elements on paper. And not cheap either!

User Info Menu

I just got a used one in (almost) perfect condition. The frets are not level and so high in general they feel like speed bumps; this will require another $150 investment I was not counting on. The balance is not optimal either with very evident neck dive when standing. May have to return it but I love everything else about it for sure. Beautiful looking, pickups sound great, varicoil actually works and lets one dial in a nice range of tones and the other pots and switches feel very solid and smooth. Sexy little thing too I must say -
    EDIT: As of December, I'd really fallen in love with the Elise. The frets were indeed level though a tad higher than I was used to. Neck dive was easily mitigated with a leather strap, rough on the contact side. My esteemed tech looked it over thoroughly and concluded that it really didn't need anything in the way of setup. Surprise, surprise. If you can ever find one of these for around $800, my advice is to buy it straightaway, you won't regret it -
    Last edited by jthore; 01-04-2020 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Time changed my mind

I'm looking at one, myself. Very tough buying decision because I can't try before I buy. But the comments here are very helpful. Any other input I might want to consider before I pull the trigger on this? Quality control seems a bit "iffy" ... which doesn't impress me for a rather pricey guitar. It sounds like the neck is quite chunky, am I right? I have a Gibson SG Standard with a slim taper and like my necks on the slimmer side. Thanks all!

Hi MD,
    Do you still have this guitar? What do/did you think of it? I'm looking at purchasing the exact same one! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    Not many around. I happen to have a Fret King Elise. Traded for it 6 months ago. Not the JE model. Has a different headstock and tailpiece.

Attachment 58490Attachment 58489

Strange to say, can't tell you much about it. Took it over to my luthier friend for a setup. He's been out of action ever since for various reasons. So I didn't have much time with it. Remembering the pickups are outstanding, quite nice. And that it is what I had hoped, one of those semi-hollow alternatives not much like others. Small, light, nice resonance in the sound.

I'll post more when I finally get it back.
    MD
    SO COOL that you put a Dusenberg vibrato on it! I had an Elise a couple of years ago and sold it to my instant regret. I just found another one I'm buying and intend to do the same thing. I had that vibrato on my Ibanez AM93 and it was just the right touch -

Nice tobacco-burst Elise on this thread! Here's my Fret-King Elise (photo included in this post).
    Neck is chunkier than I'm used to (I also play an SG Standard with a slim-taper neck) but I'm definitely used to the Elise now. I love the pickups on this guitar. Great tones playing through my Fender Micro Amp (online jams). My other guitar is a Tele Nashville Deluxe. The Elise is definitely my favourite of the three. I was hoping to get a burst but there was no stock! But I'm happy with the one I got; despite the ongoing efforts to clean-up fingerprints!

Attached Images Attached Images New Semi-Fret King Elise John Etheridge-img_2915-jpg