The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 76

User Info Menu

I thought this was interesting... Would love a Wesmo version.
    Attached Images Attached Images Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-image-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool, but kinda weird looking at first.

User Info Menu

I'll pass.

As far as double cut full depth archtops...I think the only one I ever liked was that Metheny model...that looked great.

User Info Menu

er, makes a Kessel look conventional

I think the Metheny shape was based on Howard Roberts modded ES150 - the ''black guitar'. He designed it so he could get his thumb over at the top end, or so legend has it..

User Info Menu

why is the selector switch on the bass side?

User Info Menu

Maybe the electronics guy was left handed,LOL!

User Info Menu

I have never seen one of these before. What's the story? Anyone here know anything about them, how many were built, when, etc?

User Info Menu

How about the "deep '335" (ES-150), and this DC '175?

Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-guitar-es-150-jpg
    Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-guitar-175-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    I have never seen one of these before. What's the story? Anyone here know anything about them, how many were built, when, etc?
    it's new, probably a one off.
    did someone steal the switch tip?

User Info Menu

Hey, I took that picture!
    I played it for a good 1/2 hour.
    Even in the din of NAMM, I could tell that it was an excellent instrument.
    The guitar was labelled a prototype, as were several other really nice instruments, including a blonde L-5P.
    My guess is that Gibson will put the switch wherever you want it on a custom order.
    My guess is that some people viewed the switch tips as a suitable commemorative take-aways from their experience at NAMM - some guitars had them, some did not.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-09-2014 at 07:30 PM.

User Info Menu

You know what's weird? That deep 335 looks great to me...

User Info Menu

I bet Gibson knows that folks will take them and so left the switch tip off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'll pass.

As far as double cut full depth archtops...I think the only one I ever liked was that Metheny model...that looked great.

Couldn't agree more I had a PM double cut 1 pup, nice guitar IMO the
    L5 double cut looks extremely odd.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Looks too much like a 335 for me. I'd take an original L5 over that one any day.

User Info Menu

I think it's kind of cool. It would be interesting to try out. It's unusual, to be sure. But, something about it appeals to me. I don't like the look of the ES 175 double cut, though. The double Florentine is just too much.

User Info Menu

I think a florentine double-cutaway ES-175 would look sharp as hell in a thinline format.
    Hofner did it in the 1960's with the Ambassador - a thinline, florentine double-cutaway, 16" President.
    Attached Images Attached Images Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-arch62e-jpg 

User Info Menu

Or the venerable Barney Rubble model!http://www.google.com/search?q=gibso...w=1668&bih=846

User Info Menu

Saw one at Winter NAMM this year, but it didn't appeal to me

User Info Menu

And Guild had the Studio 302 in 1968. 2 Florentine cutaways on a thin line body. It was so beautiful, I had to buy it.
    So, I saved my paper route money for the down payment, traded in my Fender Jaguar, and then payed the balance off @ $5 a week! Played it into the ground (the frets ) and played gigs for 4 years with it, then abandoned it for the above model displayed ES 150 TDCW. I know where there is a '68 Guild like it, but with a 3" body depth. Wish I had the extra income from a paper route now !!!!!

User Info Menu

My understanding is that it is a new guitar available through the custom shop shown at the namm show this year. From what I have read about it so far, it is 2.5" thick so not as thick as the classic L5.

User Info Menu

Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-image-jpg I saw this on the internet several years ago and instantly wanted one. Would love to see this new one in person.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Hey, I took that picture!
    I played it for a good 1/2 hour.
    Even in the din of NAMM, I could tell that it was an excellent instrument.
    The guitar was labelled a prototype, as were several other really nice instruments, including a blonde L-5P.
    My guess is that Gibson will put the switch wherever you want it on a custom order.
    My guess is that some people viewed the switch tips as a suitable commemorative take-aways from their experience at NAMM - some guitars had them, some did not.
    Thats cool Hammertone, thanks for letting me nix your pic. Was there a price listed with this guitar by any chance?

User Info Menu

Here's a Lacey Empire double-cut I once owned:

Here's my Gibson Custom Shop ES-355 with a bit of L-5 aesthetics:

and here's yet another double-cut Byrdland (not mine):

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StevieB
    Saw one at Winter NAMM this year, but it didn't appeal to me
    Uh, yeah, you saw the one in the picture at the top.