The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    Thats cool Hammertone, thanks for letting me nix your pic. Was there a price listed with this guitar by any chance?
    The spec sheets were next to each guitar and did not have any pricing information.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Attachment 11169 I saw this on the internet several years ago and instantly wanted one. Would love to see this new one in person.
    Gibson meets George Harrison!

Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-guitar-beatles-jpg

User Info Menu

Moffa offers the Maryan archtop with a double cutaway option. I think it looks rather stylish.

Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-maryandoublecut1-jpg
    Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-maryandoublecut2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    How about the "deep '335" (ES-150), and this DC '175?

Attachment 11162
    Attachment 11163
    Even though the ES 150 looks a lot like a deep 335, it's not. No center block, so it would be more similar to a double cut 175. I wonder what function a double cutaway would serve on a guitar that thick.

Back to the double cut L5, was the body on that 17"? It looks smaller, like maybe 16" in the picture

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Even though the ES 150 looks a lot like a deep 335, it's not. No center block, so it would be more similar to a double cut 175. I wonder what function a double cutaway would serve on a guitar that thick.

Back to the double cut L5, was the body on that 17"? It looks smaller, like maybe 16" in the picture
    At one time I was looking to pick up an ES 150 but the neck was too thin for me. I had a hard time trying to play octaves. I'm assuming the L5 is a 17" since they are calling it an L5. I've never seen a 16" L5, but then again, never seen a double cutaway until now. I agree, it does look a little small in the photo, maybe this is due to the cutaway.?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You know what's weird? That deep 335 looks great to me...
    Not weird at all! I totally agree! Although I might be influenced by the fact that one my favorite players plays one regularly too:

(Dutch guitarist Jesse van Ruller)

User Info Menu

If you go to this video about the 3:35 mark, you can see a quick review of the L5.

User Info Menu

I see they mentioned the new L-5P.
    why in the world is Gibson using TOM's on acoustic guitars?
    an all ebony bridge would certainly fatten up the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon

I thimk it's a Legrande thing. They should just ship these guitars with an ebony as well as a tune-o-matic bridge top - Hofner is doing that with the current Chancellor. I have found that they sound quite different, and I like both sounds. For the record:
    Attached Images Attached Images Double-cutaway Gibson L-5?-gib-l5-label_0279-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-12-2014 at 04:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm assuming the L5 is a 17" since they are calling it an L5. I've never seen a 16" L5, but then again, never seen a double cutaway until now.
    In this thread you can see at least five of them:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...-ish-tone.html

They are only 15.5", but why quibble?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I try all my archtops with an ebony saddle and a TOM--some sound better with wood, some with metal. For the most part I prefer them whichever way they came from the factory, but not always.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Usually anything that Mark Lacey does rings my chimes. But, that guitar just doesn't do it for me. Why would he do a double cut deep body guitar and have the cut aways non symmetric?

I played one of his Imperials a bunch of years ago. One of the best guitars I've ever seen or played.

Hi all,
    Newbe to this forum, but not to others, and certainly not to playing.
    I bought one and could not be happier. After wishing for Gibson to build
    a production model like this, it was certainly worth the 30(odd) year wait.
    A great balance of sustain and warmth.
    I did not think I would like the thin body, but perhaps that is what gives it part of it's charm.
    As for build quality- It is fantastic and a true credit to the art of the arch top.

Cheers,
    chef

User Info Menu

Chef, show us a picture. I had the pleasure of running into a store in Tokyo that had both colors in stock. I think these are very cool to play as well... although waiting for a single pup version. Congrats on your purchase.

Here are a couple of pictures then-

A few more will follow....
    I actually thought about a single pickup version with an Alnico pickup in the middle position....

User Info Menu

sweet... Thanks for the pics!

User Info Menu

The heel is so long on most of these guitars, the double-cut is almost pointless. Except for the ES-150.

User Info Menu

I had an ES 150 in '72 -74. Played 5 nites a week on it. Never really bonded with it. The rest of the band and the singers liked it - it was the fullest sounding guitar they had ever heard. Nice for chording. Solo's just didn't sing, but that could have been me, and the amp choice.

I really wanted an L5 CES. Price then with a custom order was about $800 incl. case. I didn't have the gumption to spend that then. My college tuition was about $4-500 per semester.

If only that ES 150 had had a decent size neck, not a toothpick!

Ah, if only knew then what I know now. And back then, there was no Internet !

User Info Menu

Early Barney Kessels had a long heel, later ones had a short heel. I've owned both types. Although the newer ones had better neck access, their necks didn't feel as stable, and they didn't balance as well seated. I much preferred my older one.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

OT I realize....but does anyone really think (that starting out) "Herbie Hancock was just like everyone else in Chicago"?

I'm thinking he was unique as a two-cell embryo...

I love the long neck joint. I don't find it hinders access at all.
    In fact, that was something that I really wanted when dreaming about it
    for all those years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I think a florentine double-cutaway ES-175 would look sharp as hell in a thinline format.
    Hofner did it in the 1960's with the Ambassador - a thinline, florentine double-cutaway, 16" President.

I might be wrong...but I thought I saw that instrument sitting in a stand at ..stately Wayne Mansion. (Maybe Alfred played it.)
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 02-05-2015 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Responding to Post #17

User Info Menu

I think the DC wide body guitars are marvelous... so much so if I could wave a wand and turn all my Venetian and Florentine single cuts into DC's I'd do it in a heartbeat :-)

It just happens that my ES150 is one of my fave playing and sounding guitars... add the master volume and it fills every need I have.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I think the DC wide body guitars are marvelous... so much so if I could wave a wand and turn all my Venetian and Florentine single cuts into DC's I'd do it in a heartbeat :-)
    Find a luthier with experience in archtops ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI

It just happens that my ES150 is one of my fave playing and sounding guitars... add the master volume and it fills every need I have.
    MartyGrass recently picked up a very nice H550 double cutaway. He's got a great picture of George Benson playing the guitar he bought. If you haven't seen it, I'll ask him to post it here on this thread.