The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

again, it depends on how much volume you need. I get more than enough volume from the cube 60 at the gigs i play, but i'm playing in solo, duo, and very light hitting trios (or drummerless trios). I never have the cube's volume turned past 11 o'clock or so. this would not be the same situation with say, a rock band, but in most of those situations, any amp can be mic'd and put thru the PA.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you have to turn your volume up past 12 o'clock your rhythm section is too loud and tell them to back off on the volume. If you're playing in a larger room, mic the amp with a descent mic. I think all giging cats should have an SM57 or something with a cable. A lot of clubs have PA systems for better or worse, why not take advantage of that.

As proof, we (the school I teach at so I'll just say we) had Jonathan Kreisberg up. he plays through a tube and solid state in stereo, but he runs a relatively low stage volume and wants his amps miced through the house. I think this is the way to go, especially when playing with acoustic instruments like a piano or upright bass, keep it quiet, if you have to have a big room use a PA to help it out, you want a natural sound on stage, no one battling for head room.

User Info Menu

The position of a knob is not a good indicator of volume.

Regardless, I am in favor of keeping stage volume low and house volume at a reasonable level. (I've played in rock bands where the stage volume was so low we couldn't hear amps or monitors, but it was still too loud on stage because of the volume in the room.)

User Info Menu

Hey Cats!

Put away the claws!

I was just trying to add relevent comment to the thread.

JC120 vs Cube 60.

I'm only using examples of volume as a way of demonstrating, perhaps, why the Cube 60 is cheap compared to a JC 120.

I don't think anybody would, at the same price, choose a Cube over a JC120.

I think the fact that a JC120 is often in contract available on stage for pros says it all.

The Cube 60 is my main amp, but I play at home with other musicians on occassion, purely for pleasure.

The Cube is versatile in it's sound output. For JAZZ

1: JC Clean
    2: Acoustic
    3: Blackface 2x12

I am not denigrating the Cube 60 without basis.

The Cube 60 has its limitations. For the price the limitations are really fine by me as part of this thread, JC120 vs Cube 60.

Whatever you interpret as the working range of the Cube 60 - ie if you are up to 12 then the rhythm section needs to pipe down - is irrelevent.

If we are going down the route of saying "this amp sounds good up to 10'oclock...after which we need to plug into the PA" then we are saying the Cube has a narrower working range than a JC120 - which was what I was pointing at in my previous post.

For basic marking of, carry guitar (in case) plus amp and perform over a wide range of situations, then the JC120 wins hands down. If this wasn't the case then why would the JC120 be specified as "to be available" to gigging guitarists as opposed to a Cube 60?

The Cube 60 is incredible value for money and definately has it's place within jazz - if I was wrong then why do I and others like it?

I'm merely trying to answer the question as relevant to the original posters needs.

As ever, any amp is a compromise because for the traveller PA is not always available.

If I were gigging, with no concern for image and practicality then I would use my solid state 200watt Kustom head through my Kustom Celestion loaded 4x12 cab to push out a very clean sound from low to as high a volume as necessery. (Perhaps equivalent to using a PA??)

Practicality setting in, then I can get away with less but less is not better. There is always a downside to less and it is heard in the sound. The downside to "less" is the early need to mic up an amp at low volume to PA at small venues.

The JC120 requires less micing for smaller venues and can act as a stand alone amp over more situations than a Cube 60.

The JC120 was never designed to be used as a bedroom amp but can be used as such and goes beyond hat any Cube can do for gigging.

The Cube 60 can be pushed beyond it's working limits in a household situation. As a jazz clarinetist, I can say that a Cube 60 would be out of it's depth with a couple of brass instruments playing over it.

I would reiterate that my jazz is chordal guitar. This is what I am basing my opinion on.

For chordal jazz at higher volumes without mic'ing or PA, the Cube 60 is priced, quite rightly, for it's abilities compared to a JC 120.

If money is not a consideration in the choice - as per the pros - then the JC 120 wins...........enough already!
    Last edited by FWBO; 02-24-2009 at 07:33 PM.

User Info Menu

I own 4 amps; A Strauss 30 (aussie valve amp), Fender Princeton (solid state), Epi Valve 5, and a Roland micro cube.
    Guess what, on gigs I use the micro cube lined out to the pa. 2 1/2 watts of raw power.
    I use the Fender or Strauss for backup.
    I am very happy with the sound. Great amp for practise too!
    Cheers
    Harry