The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 79

User Info Menu

AC cord replacement is easy peasey. The amp looks to be in good shape...often the case with the 5 to 25 watt vintage amps. Many people gave up after trying to learn. The big amps got worked to death by working musicians.

GA18 is a nice amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Vintage Gibson Amps-20190727_131502-jpg

User Info Menu

TubesVintage Gibson Amps-20190727_130946-jpg

User Info Menu

Original footswitch
    Attached Images Attached Images Vintage Gibson Amps-20190727_130801-jpg 

User Info Menu

I like those tweed Gibson amps. A long time ago, I used to play in a band in which the other guitarist used a GA-45rvt with his Stratocaster. (4x8" Jensen speakers) His sound with that _accordion_ amplifier was insanely great.

User Info Menu

You will need a new wire for the the tremelo switch, but it's just brown lamp cord. Again, easy peasey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    You will need a new wire for the the tremelo switch, but it's just brown lamp cord. Again, easy peasey.
    Thanks so much, Greentone. It's crumbling all over the place.....new pup thinks its kibbles and keeps trying to eat them. Haha!

It looks like the cord is not detachable which is interesting.

Like you said, I don't think this amp left the house. Still has original Amp cover, Bill of sale, catalog (super cool) and virtually no staining.

What kind of tones can I expect from this amp with archtops? Somebody said that the circuit is similar to a Deluxe Fender. I don't know what that means, but I guess I will learn.

User Info Menu

they're great for solid bodies or thinlines but I can't comment on archtops.
    I have a bunch of older Gibsons, prewar EH-185's, 40's-50's GA-50s, GA 75's and they sound great w/ archtops, but I personally haven't tried them w/thinlines or solidbodies [maybe because I've never owned them!]
    GT will probably be able to comment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Thanks so much, Greentone. It's crumbling all over the place.....new pup thinks its kibbles and keeps trying to eat them. Haha!

It looks like the cord is not detachable which is interesting.

Like you said, I don't think this amp left the house. Still has original Amp cover, Bill of sale, catalog (super cool) and virtually no staining.

What kind of tones can I expect from this amp with archtops? Somebody said that the circuit is similar to a Deluxe Fender. I don't know what that means, but I guess I will learn.
    Congrats on your cool old vintage GA-18. Taking it to a tech is the right thing to do, and hopefully get it to sound as good as possible.
    There are several YouTube vids on this model, but I found only one that gives a fairly good representation of its tone.

User Info Menu

I think you are going to really like the sound with archtops. I love my tweed deluxe and this is similar.

User Info Menu

I suspect the old Gibson amps are quite underated
    I have a GA8-T and it sounds great with every guitar I own, Stratocaster, Ibanez AS50, GB10.
    It is very powerful for 8 watts and the breakup is very creamy, musical.
    Every musician friends that have tried it are pretty stunned with the sound, and "Gibson made some amps in the day.? . I thought only Fenders where good"

User Info Menu

This guy did a GA-18 “restoration” but heavily modified it in the process. You might learn something from it though. He felt the transformers were underrated, so replaced them, changed some component values to make it even more like a Tweed Deluxe, and added a master volume. But I’d suggest just have a tech check out all the components, bring them into spec, and play it a while before considering any changes. If yours is noisy you might consider the things he did to quiet his amp. I’ll bet that tremolo will sound nice, as it’s the type that varies the bias voltage.
    Gibson GA-18 “Restoration”

User Info Menu

If you change the transformers a big part of the amp is gone..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    If you change the transformers a big part of the amp is gone..
    Yeah, the they who did that “restoration” seemed to really want a much different amp in GA-18 cabinet. It seems he accomplished his objective, but it was only restoration in terms of cosmetics. Undersized transformers might be just the ticket for other players. There’s no way to know until all the other components have been confirmed to be in spec, then trying it out.

User Info Menu

Recently picked up an early 50s ES-125 and now I am looking for an amp to match it

playing mostly chord melody and bebop lines on this one

looking for a vintage Gibson amp to pair well with this, I will be playing at home only so low power is ok

which one is “the one” to get?

looking at BR-6, GA-8 Gibsonettes, and GA-20s mostly. Not sure I want to spend the money for a GA-50 at this time

User Info Menu

Well depends on what sound you're going after, I can probably relate something about them.The bigger the amp will typically give the most headroom, I have a lot of personal experience w those, prewar EH-150s and 185s, postwar GA-50s, GA-75s etc.
    Jazz players like those models, blues and rock players swear by the smaller amps as well as the late 50s tweed models.

User Info Menu

I have an ES- 125 from 1954 and a Gibson GA-18. Vintage Gibson Amps-20200216_194400-jpg

I'm certainly no authority and pretty inexperienced, but I think it sounds great. I had a very well known professional take it for a spin and he really dug it. The tremolo is fun, too.

User Info Menu

I would get a nice EH 125

User Info Menu

I like my old Gibson amps and enjoy them with P-90 equipped '52 ES-150, '57 ES-225, a couple L-7's with McCartys, plus a few old Guilds and Epiphones with Franz pickups or DeArmonds.

They are:

'46 BR-3
    '47 GA-25
    '48 GA-30
    '52 Gibsonette
    '55 GA-20

I sometimes use an Empress Para EQ in front of them and beyond their good baseline sound/tone its surprising what you can do with these old voices.

All thats nothing without my good fortune to have a very capable amp repair guy that has seen and heard it all and has them working well.
    Thats a big thing...cool looking cabinetry sitting around the house only goes so far!

I'd be happy to share what I know and possibly lighten my amp load so feel free to PM me if you'd like.
    Last edited by zizala; 02-28-2020 at 07:56 AM.

User Info Menu

I use an EH-125 with my old Gibson archtops too.
    Attached Images Attached Images Vintage Gibson Amps-eh125-jpg 

User Info Menu

So, Andy Timmons played some jazz on Facebook live the other day... and he posted this pic to instagram... I know (he said) the guitar is a "GB-10 from the mid 90s", but curious what the amp is? Gibson, but which one? I know some people make repros, but Andy has a lot of vintage gear, so it's likely vintage. He's got the GB10 because he's been an endorsee of Ibanez since the early 90s.

Vintage Gibson Amps-img_8488andy-timmons-gb10-jazz-amp-jpg

Also, for those interested, here's the post, listing his influences and pieces for his viewers to "check out":

Vintage Gibson Amps-andy-timmons-jazz-influences-jpg

Timmons, for those who don't know, is an accomplished rock-instrumental player, session guy, who of course says he "can't play jazz" (which is what they all say, but his bad jazz is of course better than I will ever do LOL)...but he's one of those guys who can "play anything". Here's the link for his video of him and his band playing Autumn Leaves (in quarantine, over the internet)....

User Info Menu

Looks like a GA50.

MD

User Info Menu

That's a Gibson GA-50 (or GA-50T, if it has tremolo). Produced between 1948 and 1954. 25 watts with 12" and 8" speakers.

Here's a thread about mine: Gibson GA-50T

User Info Menu

Nice playing! I never knew Andy Timmons had jazz chops! Whatever amp he's using sounds great.

And his Ibanez appears to be a one-off custom variant of the GB10 & GB100.

They made a similar customized for Steve Miller, another Ibanez endorser. It looks like a combination of a GB12 (neck) and GB100 (body)...and remains in my humble harem.

User Info Menu

I didn't hear a single blues lick. But the occasional block chords were cool! I think Miles Davis would approve.