The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I am a T-I Swing fan too. Love the slightly smother sound vs. Chromes. Love the balanced tension in the sets - which is pretty much unique in the string world for some reason. Love the feel. Like that they are nickel vs. steel. Like that they do not have grinding dust all over them (and presumably between the windings) like the other nickel wound European flats. Not too crazy about the ever-rising cost, but still a bargain in my opinion.

So a mix of rational and irrational preference.

I like the round BeBops too, but need to buy a wound G for the .012 set. Also, at $3.99 a set, the Fender 150 JL is remarkably close to the .012 BeBops and come with a wound G already.

Chris
    Last edited by PTChristopher2; 01-26-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

On my Eastman I had the same problem, and did this:

- removed all the old strings, using some blue-tack to leave the bridge in place
    - moved the tailpiece vertically; now, as you can see on this link, the tailpiece has slots, not holes:

http://www.archtopguitarsandbooks.co...?id_product=80

- I put the low E string ball end in the hollow part or the tailpiece and pushed the string end up into the slot, instead of inserting the other end of the string and pulling it.

This way, instead of having all the thick part of the string through the slot, I only had to insert the string end, which was somehow flattened while being pushed into the slot.
    Last time I was able to do the same leaving the tailpiece in place, because the low E slot is quite easy to reach even with the other strings mounted.
    I hope this is clear enough: English is not my native language and this is a bit difficult to explain precisely without a picture.
    Last edited by rgiaccio; 01-26-2014 at 07:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I actually installed TI Swing 14's on an 880. Only the bottom E was snug at first. With some determination it will pull through. You could make the job easier by lightly lubing the hole before pulling the string through. I didn't need to do that.
    where do u get thomastick 14's? I was just on the website, heaviest I've found are the 13's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Both suggestions unacceptable to me.
    You had the problem with an Eastman, I had the same problem with a Collings, so I suspect the problem is not in the guitars but in the string manufacturer. I don't want to widen the slot of the tailpiece, it's TI that should wind the string differently. If they don't do that, well I'll keep using D'Addario Chromes.
    When I ordered my Collings Eastside Deluxe I sent over a set of Swings the .013 to .053 set. I also told them that I was replacing the first 2 strings with a.014 and .018. Further to that I told them I often go to the heavier Benson flat wounds with a .056 bass string.

When the guitar arrived it had the set I had sent fitted. Not long after I fitted heavier Bensons .014 to.056.
    No problems.
    Now I use Swing .012 to .050
    No problems.

I was originally told that the guitar was only made for .012 D'Addario set and bigger strings would not fit.
    I made a fuss.
    Something along the lines of "it's a jazz guitar.......right?"

User Info Menu

>>> When the guitar arrived it had the set I had sent fitted. Not long after I fitted heavier Bensons .014 to.056.
    >>> No problems.
    >>> Now I use Swing .012 to .050
    >>> No problems.

It's a Christmas miracle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bob dullam
    where do u get thomastick 14's? I was just on the website, heaviest I've found are the 13's.
    http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/i...5cgmf52vh18pj5

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/thjabeacjagu.html

http://www.juststrings.com/toi-bb114.html

User Info Menu

I've just changed the strings on my new AR880 Pisano twice, experimenting with different gauges. La Bella tape wound 0.14s and TI flatwounds 0.12s. There's a knack to getting those lower strings through the tailgate slots, without having to alter anything. Don't try to thread it through from the end. Instead, place the ball end as close to the slot as possible, then using a credit card or similar, slide it into the tailgate and under the ball end and raise it until it slots in. I can post some photos if it helps.

User Info Menu

I just got an AR880 John Pisano recently and changed the strings a few times to try out different gauges: La Bella tapewound 0.14s and T-I flatwound 0.12s. Admittedly, it was tough getting the lower strings through those slots but I found a knack without having to alter anything. As rgaccio says above, don't try to pull the string all the way through. Place the ball end as close as possible to the slot, slide a credit card or similar under the tailgate and use it to lift the ball end level with the slot and then pull the string into place. Ok, it's a bit fiddly and I wouldn't want to change a string during a gig, but isn't that why we love our archtops, for their quirkiness ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I had the same problem when I stringed the Collings Eastside LC with Bebop 112 Thomastik-Infeld.
    The low E string didn't want to go into the proper place of the tailpiece.
    After some efforts it went through.
    The real problem was when I had to change the strings again. The low E string didn't come out. Finally I managed to pass another string (a light one) through the hole of the ball-end of the low E string and, laying the guitar on the bed, I grabbed the two ends of the light string (using a towel not to hurt my hand) and pulled with all my strength and after about 5-10 minutes of sweating and pulling, the ball-end came out of the tailpiece.
    Solution: I took a lighter to the red silk, burned it, scraped off the residue with a knife, and the E string fit with minimal persuasion. Same process for the 5 string but no persuasion needed. Looking at the wire, I don't see how that silk was doing anything functional.

User Info Menu

You can also gently slice the silk with a blade, then peel it off if it won’t easily go through the tailpiece hole.

User Info Menu

Ha!
    Austrian strings meet Chinese hardware - what could possibly go wrong?
    I'd just grind the low E slot on the metal tailpiece claw to accommodate the fatter wrap. It's hidden by the wood. No big whoop.