The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Actually, it's not dead - it's just sleeping!

I turned it on for the first time in a few days ... and it didn't (turn on that is). It just made a very faint pop - no pilot light, no sound. I turned it off, waited a few seconds, and turned it on again ... same thing. Checked the power cord and the outlet - they were fine - and the fuse seems to be intact.

It's only 6 months old and has been used only lightly and carefully. But it's under warranty, so we'll see how ZT responds. I expect they will fix or replace it but that I'll have to pay shipping at least one way.

I'll keep you guys posted on how I make out with ZT.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Check the fuse with an omh meter or replace with a known good fuse.

User Info Menu

I am going to agree with engine on this one, how do you know that the fuses still good? Everything seems to point to it

User Info Menu

OK, thanks! I took out the fuse and looked at it with a 8x loupe I had lying around. The wire didn't appear to be broken. But I understand that replacing it with a new/good one would be advisable before concluding that the fuse isn't the problem. But then, if the original fuse had blown, wouldn't that indicate a circuit malfunction? And assuming the fuse was the culprit, then if a new fuse also blew, the amp would in fact need servicing. Am I on the right track?

User Info Menu

IMO if it makes a faint pop sound that wouldn't happen if a fuse were bad. It's a good thing you have warranty coverage.

User Info Menu

Tried a new fuse - same result. Sent an email to ZT. Stay tuned ...

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear it,
    I have had fuses fail on me and then work fine for years afterwards. I always go for the simplest most obvious solutions first. Let me know how it works out with zt

User Info Menu

To bad Tom, but I'm sure they'll sort things out. Don't use mine much at the moment. You're welcome to come and borrow it untill yours gets sorted out

User Info Menu

Yup, they were closed for the holiday last week. But I got a nice email today from their chief engineer with an RMA number, so it's shipping off to them for warranty repair tomorrow.

User Info Menu

Tom, any word from ZT on your amp's problems/progress yet? I'm thinking about getting one, getting too old to lug around my Strawberry Blonde.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Just got back from a few days away and got an email from ZT. They said it had a lot of issues and they didn't feel they could fix it reliably - hence the delay - so they shipped me a new one. Weird, but good!

User Info Menu

Happy endings are always good. As I have an Acoustic Lunchbox on backorder, have others had problems with these amps I wonder?

User Info Menu

I've been gigging with mine for a couple of years now without any issues. It's a nice amp to have when you don't want or need to haul out a larger, heavier amp. I can carry my guitar, ZT, and gig bag in one trip from the car.

User Info Menu

Not surprised that they're sending you a new one. Not worth the time it would take a tech to troubleshoot and repair. Probably looking at 2-4 hours of bench and repair time.

A few years back when I was working in consumer electronics, all returns were stripped, an sent back to the factory in India. Customers were told that their item was BER and given a new one.

Good that you'll be back in business soon. Hope you have better luck with the next one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Music
    As I have an Acoustic Lunchbox on backorder, have others had problems with these amps I wonder?

i gig mine 6 shows a week at times and it's still going strong after about 2 years ...not a days trouble yet

User Info Menu

I got the new one today - exactly a month after I shipped the old one out. This one works fine and is back under the coffee table in my living room for every day practice duty.

User Info Menu

Did you get a new warranty, or still the terms of the old one?

User Info Menu

Hmm ... no paperwork with the new one - I'll have to check if they put my old serial number on the one they sent me. I'm guessing that I've only got the balance of the warranty as all they wanted to see before issuing an RMA was my original receipt with purchase price and date even though I had registered the amp on their Website when I bought it.