The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 103

User Info Menu

After many months of questions, research and experimenting, I settled on a 12" tube amp of 50 watts: Sequel Ravine. Size is great - it's very compact. A bit heavy at approx. 35 lbs but the compactness of cabinet really helps. I am very pleased with the sound so far. I broke my own rules going over 30 lbs but I think, all things considered, this was the way to go.
    Last edited by coolvinny; 03-18-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: edit weight

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jensen has 10" Tornado neodymium model which is 1.7 kg that could go in principle into the 10" Mambo wedge, for a light little amp.
    The 10" Tornado has a rated power of 100 W and a musical power of 200 W (what does that mean?)

User Info Menu

It means that the Tornado (100W) couldn't handle the power of a Mambo ( 180W RMS)

User Info Menu

The orginal loudspeaker is 10inch, 250W rms rated, 97 dB /

Watt @ 1 metre sensitivity.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Jensen has 10" Tornado neodymium model which is 1.7 kg that could go in principle into the 10" Mambo wedge, for a light little amp.
    The 10" Tornado has a rated power of 100 W and a musical power of 200 W (what does that mean?)
    I meant what does musical power 220 W means?

User Info Menu

Henriksen 10" has a 75 W speaker, but the amp is 120 W

User Info Menu

"Music Power' is some kind of measure of instantaneous peak power, as opposed to 'RMS' power, which could be thought of as electrically measured continuous power. If you use the tornado speaker in this application at under full power, it might not blow - but most musicians wouldn't want the uncertainty, as there's quite enough to worry about without that.

The mambo in question has 180W RMS power. I say'' some kind of measure'', because cynics might argue that 'music power' ratings are designed to make the buyer think the speaker can handle more power than it actually can.

Note that a forum member here has blown a 75W raging cajun speaker, fitted to a Hendriksen Jazzamp. This may be why the jazz amp now comes with a 225W eminence beta speaker- although apparently their 'blues amp ' model still uses the raging cajun 75W speaker.

For more info., there is a recent thread about speakers in Hendriksen amps

Re substituting speakers in mambo amps, it would be worth checking the warranty fine print. I know Jon Shaw insists on speakers that can handle in excess of the rated amp power, although he will install 16 ohm 100W speakers if the buyer insist on it, for use with another 16 ohm ext cab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Note that a forum member here has blown a 75W raging cajun speaker, fitted to a Hendriksen Jazzamp. This may be why the jazz amp now comes with a 225W eminence beta speaker- although apparently their 'blues amp ' model still uses the raging cajun 75W speaker.
    Yes, I am aware of that, I own a BluesAmp 110 my self.

User Info Menu

Henriksen 10" has a 75 W speaker, but the amp is 120 W
    I meant the BluesAmp 10" here.

User Info Menu

Yes, I am aware of that, I own a BluesAmp 110 my self.
    I'd be wary about winding the amp up - especially for blues!! Obviously one benefit of the RC speaker is that it's very sensitive, so needs approx half the wattage for a given volume compared to the beta 10

User Info Menu

My tech recently measured the Henriksen's specs and his value was way below 120w... I think Tom blew the Rajun in VERY extreme conditions. Anyway if one wants to be safe just get a 16 ohm Tornado...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    My tech recently measured the Henriksen's specs and his value was way below 120w... I think Tom blew the Rajun in VERY extreme conditions. Anyway if one wants to be safe just get a 16 ohm Tornado...
    Hi Jorge! With most SS amps, the wattage output is roughly proportionate to the impedance of the speaker, so I'd expect the Jazzamp to put out more like 80W into 8 ohms. So maybe a 8 ohm RC speaker would be OK, in view of that.

I don't want to knock Jazzamps, I had a couple, but I have to say that they never sounded like 120W to me with the beta speaker.

User Info Menu

interesting discussion. I'm still using an AI Corus (featured in the last 3 clips I did of my 175) and I'm really happy with it. My Quilterlabs Aviator 12 has a more fender like sound and sounds fantastic with my 175. However, I have struggled to get a good sound out of my GB10 through it. The gb10 sounds amazing through the AI amp. I think it may be the speaker but I'm considering going to a head version and getting one of the earcandy 2x8 cabs to go with the head. Seems like a more versatile setup and would allow me to easily swap in a cheap backup like the Carvin BX250 if needed.

User Info Menu

I've tried my 5 watt class A tube combo with 10'' Delta Demon Eminence speaker.
    I like the sound of it...speaker is 100 watt.
    My tech said that this speaker has too much watt for this small amp...have I use 25 watt speaker?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Hi Jorge! With most SS amps, the wattage output is roughly proportionate to the impedance of the speaker, so I'd expect the Jazzamp to put out more like 80W into 8 ohms. So maybe a 8 ohm RC speaker would be OK, in view of that.

I don't want to knock Jazzamps, I had a couple, but I have to say that they never sounded like 120W to me with the beta speaker.
    Hi Chris! Henriksen's official values are 160w 4 ohm, 120w 8 ohm and 100w 16 ohm. My tech measured 75w 4 ohm, 60w 8 ohm and 40w 16 ohm. Weird... Never need more volume with mine though!

User Info Menu

Hi Chris! Henriksen's official values are 160w 4 ohm, 120w 8 ohm and 100w 16 ohm. My tech measured 75w 4 ohm, 60w 8 ohm and 40w 16 ohm. Weird... Never need more volume with mine though!
    Power Amp Wattage is measured in lots of different ways

RMS at a certain value of THD
    Music Power at a certain value of THD
    Peak power at a certain value of THD
    There are other ways of measuring as well Sinewave Power etc etc

Too many variables to compare different manufacturers really

We have to use our ears
    and you can only tell once you're playing out with a drummer etc
    and be guided by everyones experience here
    Last edited by pingu; 03-16-2014 at 09:12 AM.

User Info Menu

This was measured with RMS power, not sure % of THD.

User Info Menu

I bought the BluesAmp new about a month ago.
    In the instruction booklet that came with the amp it is written:

"Adding an extension cabinet increases the basic power of the amp from 60 watts rms to 80 watts rms on the JazzAmp 10 and from 120 Watts to 160 Watts on the JazzAmp 12".

This makes me think a few things:
    1) they did not print out new booklets with updated specs after they upgraded the jazzamp 110 to 120 Watt into 8 Ohm (the same as the 112 model).
    2) First generation henriksen amps came into two version: 60 Watts or 120 Watts into 8 Ohms.
    3) Could it be that your model is actually one of the older version, 60 Watts into 8 Ohm, which is exactly what your tech measured?

User Info Menu

... I think Tom blew the Rajun in VERY extreme conditions ...
    I would have phrased it, "... in STUPIDLY extreme conditions!" I nudged the volume up to about 11:30, kicked in an overdrive, then added clean boost from a compressor, then played power chords! I must have added at least 3db from the front-end effects, effectively at least doubling the power!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I think it may be the speaker but I'm considering going to a head version and getting one of the earcandy 2x8 cabs to go with the head. Seems like a more versatile setup and would allow me to easily swap in a cheap backup like the Carvin BX250 if needed.
    Nice to hear someone mention EarCandy cabs. Their 2x8's are very cool (and good lookin', too!), and are 100W (no longer sold on ebay, just Reverb.com, by the way).

I like my JDesign 2x8 for a grab-n-go rig, too.

User Info Menu

I bought the BluesAmp new about a month ago.
    In the instruction booklet that came with the amp it is written:

"Adding an extension cabinet increases the basic power of the amp from 60 watts rms to 80 watts rms on the JazzAmp 10 and from 120 Watts to 160 Watts on the JazzAmp 12".

This makes me think a few things:
    1) they did not print out new booklets with updated specs after they upgraded the jazzamp 110 to 120 Watt into 8 Ohm (the same as the 112 model).
    2) First generation henriksen amps came into two version: 60 Watts or 120 Watts into 8 Ohms.
    3) Could it be that your model is actually one of the older version, 60 Watts into 8 Ohm, which is exactly what your tech measured?
    I thought of that and it makes sense but I was under the impression ALL heads were made after the 120w upgrade... but it does make sense. Anyway I have many complaints on the Henriksen's design but not lack of volume so it's irrelevant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Nice to hear someone mention EarCandy cabs. Their 2x8's are very cool (and good lookin', too!), and are 100W (no longer sold on ebay, just Reverb.com, by the way).

I like my JDesign 2x8 for a grab-n-go rig, too.
    i asked them about that 100w rating and never heard back. That's a concern because it's not enough IMO...Maybe I'll just go with an RE 2x8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i asked them about that 100w rating and never heard back. That's a concern because it's not enough IMO...Maybe I'll just go with an RE 2x8
    Contact Jeff at http://www.jdesigncabs.com and let him know what speakers you want. (the 2x8 is custom, so no pics online)

User Info Menu

thanks mark. Is your jdesign cabinet ported? Because with 8s, porting is critical to getting the guitar and the bottom end to sound right. Most of the jdesign cabs I've seen were just boxes with speakers in them although the construction was good. The thing about the RE cabs and the earcandy cabs is that they're properly designed from a speaker and cab perspective but as I said, 100W won't cut it with a quilter head or much else for that matter.

User Info Menu

Nope, open-backed. I'd still call him to talk about options, though.