The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 77

User Info Menu

I followed that thread, having used D'Addario 13's for years (because that was the most commonly available string) I tried the Thomastics George Benson 14's.

How can a set of 14's feel so easy to play???

They are also lower tension than the D'Addario chromes 13's - had to tweak the truss rod.

Sound like heaven - I'd never swap back - even if I was offered Chromes for free

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So now I have my opinion on strings.
    For my hollows Thomastik Infeld Jazz swing (11),
    my solids Dean Markley signature series 10, the semi solids Dean Markley ss 11 and my nylon string will have D`Addario Pro Arte normal tension.
    Those are what I like best on my guitars.

User Info Menu

My jazz instructor turned me on to the Thomastik's early on and I love them. Initially, I started with the 11's. Since I've been playing a bit more, I wanted a thicker set so I tried the La Bellas in the 15's. I love the newer size. I'm about due for a new set and now I'm thinking I may go back to the Thomastiks in the George Benson's. It's a 14 instead of a 15 and this is my only delema, I like the thicker string. I am also looking at the Pat Martino GHS's but I'm a little partial to the Thomastiks. I'll most likely try the Thomastik George Benson's and make a decision to either stick with the George's or go back to the thicker La Bellas... I get all my strings at juststrings.com, it's just a click away and I can get it sent to me in a snap. Instead of trying to deal with traffic, I'd rather be playing...
    Last edited by Scotto; 06-02-2009 at 02:23 AM.

User Info Menu

I'll tell you what: stay away from these Ernie Ball(s) stainless steel strings that I am stuck with for the next several months because I am not allowed to make financial transactions on-line by the mom. (Yes, I am 41 years old and the moms still handles the finances. Sorry folks. (0

Ok, anyway, these strings are awful. He tried to pass them off as flat-wounds!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTT!!

User Info Menu

+1 on Thomastik Swing 12's, the change to my sound with these strings was as big as changing my guitar! Also, the OP asked for something easy to play - I find that the lower string tension makes these strings much easier to get my fingers round, which thus makes handling a heavier gauge of string more feasible if that gives you the tone that you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EpiLesPaulJazzer
    I just looked at the site... they sound like great strings, but all of them specify that they're designed for "acoustic or semi-acoustic" electric guitars. I have a solid Les Paul. So...
    They say the same thing about their BeBops but I use those on my American Vintage Hot Rod '52 (more versatile than flatwounds... not sure if that is what you want) and HIGHLY reccomend Thomastik Infeld strings.
    I don't think there would be a problem using the "Swing" strings on a solidbody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    +1 on Thomastik Swing 12's, the change to my sound with these strings was as big as changing my guitar! Also, the OP asked for something easy to play - I find that the lower string tension makes these strings much easier to get my fingers round, which thus makes handling a heavier gauge of string more feasible if that gives you the tone that you want.
    A wound 3rd (G) string is great... a million times better than the unwound.
    The only "downside" to the BeBops is that to get a wound-3rd you have to get .13s (which I am actually fine with.)

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    I'm thinking I may go back to the Thomastiks in the George Benson's.

Good strings that don't last very long. After about 6 weeks they sound like crap.

I'm quite happy with D'Addario ribbonwounds, 12 guage. They last forever and sound great for many months.

User Info Menu

Yes, this is all very interesting, but I'm looking for the strings that will make you PLAY like Pat Martino. (;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bodidR
    Thomastik flatwounds 13-53
    you'll never go back.
    rdr
    +1
    thats right. I'm using them on all my guitars and I own one fender usa strat, one fender mexiko tele, one fender japan mustang, one epiphone es 335 and an ibanez artcore jazzbox.
    They're just perfect and thats the right gauge, I even don't care about the different scale lengh of that guitars.

all the best, Tobias

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Classic
    I am a beginner and making good progress. However, I would appreciate some advice (brand name if possible) on purchasing a new set of strings. I am presently using S.L.T. Silencers Light GL1252. I want the lightest and most easy to finger strings I can get. I want them to work with my De Armond pickup that I use on my Epi Arch Top Axe. I understand that flat wound strings are one consideration for ease of fingering. I will appreciate all comments and advice. (Thanks Mr. Beaumont, for your previous comments on this subject.) I now have more information about what I am using presently and copied the jacket (see photo.) Thanks to all, for your help. That big rope E string is killing me, as I don't have the strength in my fingers that I had years ago (85). P.S.: I thought that I could insert a Jpeg of the jacket. I don't have a URL of my page and am not too computer savy, sorry!. I believe that the strings are 1.32mm. Email me and I will forward a picture of the jacket. Again, many thanks!
    The strings you are using is more for an acoustic folk type of guitar.

They are what they (SIT) calls Inverse wound, whatever that is. 80/20 Copper Bronze Guages 12 to 52

Why don't you start out with D'Addario Chromes. They are flatwound 12 to 52 guage. If you find them too hard for you to finger well than go down a guage to where the 1st string is an 11 guage. I think they may make 10's but that pretty light for a Jazz Box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    My jazz instructor turned me on to the Thomastik's early on and I love them. Initially, I started with the 11's. Since I've been playing a bit more, I wanted a thicker set so I tried the La Bellas in the 15's. I love the newer size. I'm about due for a new set and now I'm thinking I may go back to the Thomastiks in the George Benson's. It's a 14 instead of a 15 and this is my only delema, I like the thicker string. I am also looking at the Pat Martino GHS's but I'm a little partial to the Thomastiks. I'll most likely try the Thomastik George Benson's and make a decision to either stick with the George's or go back to the thicker La Bellas... I get all my strings at juststrings.com, it's just a click away and I can get it sent to me in a snap. Instead of trying to deal with traffic, I'd rather be playing...
    Interesting subject! I have found the light Chrome Flats to my liking. I have been using D'Addario ECG24 High Finish Ribbon Wound Jazz Light Gauge .011 - .050. I bought a set for my Les Paul and will report on these when I try them out. Generally, I find the light flats easier on the fingers and the sound satisfactory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian
    Good strings that don't last very long. After about 6 weeks they sound like crap.

I'm quite happy with D'Addario ribbonwounds, 12 guage. They last forever and sound great for many months.
    That's a good thought, Jazzarian! I should probably advance to 12 gauge on my next string change.

CC323 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzarian

I've never tried the ribbonwounds, but my Thomastik .12 flat bensons have been on there for... 2-3 months? Only a little darker sounding, which works for me as I use P-90's, which are maybe a tad bright/harsh on new strings.

Take care,
    Chris

User Info Menu

D'addario Chromes Flatwounds .12 or .13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by franco6719
    Yes, this is all very interesting, but I'm looking for the strings that will make you PLAY like Pat Martino. (;
    Didnt he use 17s???? I thought for a while he switched to an L5S because he kept collapsing the tops on his archtops.

I still love my Labella 14s black nylon tapewounds.. but I play mostly acoustic on an Epi EmpReg (with all the electronics removed)

User Info Menu

Well nothing can make you play like Pat Martino you have to practice and practice and practice etc. Strings are just the material they may make you sound better but they are not going to make you sound like Pat Martino, you can get a similar tone to Pat Martino, then you have to get every thing he owned, Just make your own sound , what sounds good to you tweak your sound by yourself, don't copy somebody else's sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sphereacidburn
    Well nothing can make you play like Pat Martino you have to practice and practice and practice etc. Strings are just the material they may make you sound better but they are not going to make you sound like Pat Martino, you can get a similar tone to Pat Martino, then you have to get every thing he owned, Just make your own sound , what sounds good to you tweak your sound by yourself, don't copy somebody else's sound
    Yes, I was afraid that this problem might arise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sphereacidburn
    There's always a fly in the ointment, isn't there?

User Info Menu

Any archtop, acoustic or amplified, Thomastik Swing 13-53 or Bensons 12-53.

User Info Menu

I've been using the Thomastik "jazz swing" .12 gauge strings now for about 10 years. I've found they sound pretty good for at least a couple of months, whereas all of the others I've used only seem to last me a week. Mind you, I've never seen or tried the D'addario Chrome's.

User Info Menu

Was using Thomastic Jazz Swing 13-53 and was reasonably happy, Just put on a set of George Benson's 14's (after waiting 3 weeks to get them delivered) and wow beautiful sound, really brings my Super 400 alive. at $58.00 per set here in Geelong not cheap.. will pick up a few sets whilst in New York next month (at less than half that price). appreciate the recommendations from those above.
    Last edited by MikeJ; 06-16-2009 at 08:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Does anyone have an opinion on D'Addario Half Rounds? I tried some when they first came out, but I was getting into heavier gauges at the same time. Their lighter sets were okay but the heavier one (0.013 -- 0.056) was more round than flat. I seem to prefer a 14.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ
    Was using Thomastic Jazz Swing 13-53 and was reasonably happy, Just put on a set of George Benson's 14's (after waiting 3 weeks to get them delivered) and wow beautiful sound, really brings my Super 400 alive. at $58.00 per set here in Geelong not cheap.. will pick up a few sets whilst in New York next month (at less than half that price). appreciate the recommendations from those above.
    MikeJ.... go to juststrings.com and you can find a set of the Benson's for under $20 bucks and they'll send them to your pad in less than a week. I have La Bellas (.015 - .056) currently and have been thinking about trying the George Benson just for a change...

User Info Menu

Thanks Scotto I will try them but we usually have issues ($$) shipping to Australia.. perhaps I will order them for delivery to where I am staying in the USA and bring them back with me. Just checked the site $19 USD for strings $40 USD shipping = $59 USD vs $58 AUD ($46 USD) plus we may get hit with duties and taxes on reciept into the country.. You guys have it pretty good on that side of the pacific. HAvent seen the La Bellas would be interested in your comments as to comparison.