The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 77

User Info Menu

I am a beginner and making good progress. However, I would appreciate some advice (brand name if possible) on purchasing a new set of strings. I am presently using S.L.T. Silencers Light GL1252. I want the lightest and most easy to finger strings I can get. I want them to work with my De Armond pickup that I use on my Epi Arch Top Axe. I understand that flat wound strings are one consideration for ease of fingering. I will appreciate all comments and advice. (Thanks Mr. Beaumont, for your previous comments on this subject.) I now have more information about what I am using presently and copied the jacket (see photo.) Thanks to all, for your help. That big rope E string is killing me, as I don't have the strength in my fingers that I had years ago (85). P.S.: I thought that I could insert a Jpeg of the jacket. I don't have a URL of my page and am not too computer savy, sorry!. I believe that the strings are 1.32mm. Email me and I will forward a picture of the jacket. Again, many thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm using Chromes now and REALLY like them.

User Info Menu

to me the best i can get in town are d'adario .013 chromes,i like the way they feel,and also is a good workout for the finger,whenever i pick my second guitar that has .010's in it i feel that i am faster.but since you want something easy at firts i think d addario .010 woul be a good start,then go for the .011 and so on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I'm using Chromes now and REALLY like them.
    Thanks, Pete and Fernando. Are the Chromes you are both referring to "flat type" strings? I live close to a "Guitar Center" store and will be going there soon. I"ll keep you posted. Jazz Classic

User Info Menu

D'Addario Guitar Strings

those are what ive been purchasing lately

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FernandoCM
    D'Addario Guitar Strings

those are what ive been purchasing lately
    OK, thank you. I took a look and see that they are indeed "flat wound". I will go and see what I can get at Guitar Center--hope they have the 10's you mentioned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Classic
    OK, thank you. I took a look and see that they are indeed "flat wound". I will go and see what I can get at Guitar Center--hope they have the 10's you mentioned.
    i thought that maybe they dont do 10s flat wound style,but they do
    D'Addario Guitar Strings

good luck.

User Info Menu

13-53 flatwounds, the best for jazz, I've found, at least for me. I use others for other guitars, and other styles but most of my jazz guitars (exclusively) are strung with these.

User Info Menu

I started with 0.11 flatwounds, then 0.12 and finally 0.13. I have got a good and progressive adaptation to jazz strings.

User Info Menu

I took this advice from a great and experienced player and tried a set of "Thomastik" 11 to 47 flat wound "Jazz Swing". Great for ease of playing and has a nice bite to it. However is a bit exaggerately priced at $16.00 before tax. I used the D'addario Crome 12s before.
    The best thing about it is that the bass strings dont boom as they are thinner than most brands for 11s. I will try the 12s next. Hope this helps.

Jazztogo

User Info Menu

I play .12 flats also. I too started out with D'Addario Chromes, and now use Thomastik Infeld strings exclusively. They are much pricier, but I get 3-6 months out of a set of flat wound strings as opposed to 3-4 weeks out of a set of roundwounds.

I am playing approximately 2 hours per day on the flats and more on weekends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazztogo
    I took this advice from a great and experienced player and tried a set of "Thomastik" 11 to 47 flat wound "Jazz Swing". Great for ease of playing and has a nice bite to it. However is a bit exaggerately priced at $16.00 before tax. I used the D'addario Crome 12s before.
    The best thing about it is that the bass strings dont boom as they are thinner than most brands for 11s. I will try the 12s next. Hope this helps.

Jazztogo
    Thanks for the thread. I am using D'Addario 11.0's right now. The B and E strings are a bit thin for the fingers! But I am just a new player and will try 12's and then 13's. $16 bucks is a lot to pay for strings, but since I don't that many hours a week, maybe I shopuld give them a try. My lower E and A strings sound pretty nice. Maybe it is because I am using a Fender Blues Jr., a really nice little practice Amp.

User Info Menu

Thomastik flatwounds 13-53
    you'll never go back.
    rdr

User Info Menu

I just bought my first flatwounds a few weeks ago. i really like the feel but i think next time i want them even thicker(i got d'addario chrome 10's). but i really like the feel and smoothness of flats.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Classic
    I am a beginner and making good progress. However, I would appreciate some advice (brand name if possible) on purchasing a new set of strings. I am presently using S.L.T. Silencers Light GL1252. I want the lightest and most easy to finger strings I can get. I want them to work with my De Armond pickup that I use on my Epi Arch Top Axe. I understand that flat wound strings are one consideration for ease of fingering. I will appreciate all comments and advice. (Thanks Mr. Beaumont, for your previous comments on this subject.) I now have more information about what I am using presently and copied the jacket (see photo.) Thanks to all, for your help. That big rope E string is killing me, as I don't have the strength in my fingers that I had years ago (85). P.S.: I thought that I could insert a Jpeg of the jacket. I don't have a URL of my page and am not too computer savy, sorry!. I believe that the strings are 1.32mm. Email me and I will forward a picture of the jacket. Again, many thanks!

I've tried just about all, including Tomas-Infeld.

I always keep coming back to my flatwound (aka "ribbon wound") D'Addario 12 guages. They sound GREAT, and sound that way for up to 6 months, easily. Best of all, NO SQUEAK SQUEAK. I use them on my GB10, ES175 and Super V CES.

A friend once gave me a set of some expensive Tomas-Infeld strings. They lasted about a month on my ES175. They started to sound bad after 3 weeks. Sounded good for the first 2 weeks.

User Info Menu

thumbs-up on the Thomastik Infelds. Have no issues...
    Tempted to inrease guage to 13s...but don't want to worry about truss rod adjustments...

User Info Menu

Thomastik - Infelds flats, swing or George Bensons ...... outstanding strings as good as strings get and then some.

CC323 Guest
    I'm interested in checking out the Benson's, but are 14's too much for the average in between 50's and 60's Gibson sized neck? That set looks really interesting as well because the tension is almost equal across the strings, which is undoubtedly a good thing.

Thanks,
    Chris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EpiLesPaulJazzer
    I'm new here... Just started playing jazz guitar.

For blues/rock, I've always liked Dean Markley Blue Steel strings.

How do you feel about these for jazz? (I'm playing on an Epiphone Les Paul.) The Blue Steel .12 gauge are called "jazz", but I'm not sure that means much. Thanks for any help.
    On my Les Paul, I use the Gibson Vintage strings...gives a mellower and slightly darker tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EpiLesPaulJazzer
    I just looked at the site... they sound like great strings, but all of them specify that they're designed for "acoustic or semi-acoustic" electric guitars. I have a solid Les Paul. So...
    Look at one of the strings places like "just strings" I think they make others though I am not positive if they make them for solid bodies. They make them for acoustics, I use them on my Martins. Here's the link: http://www.juststrings.com/thomastik...ricguitar.html

User Info Menu

I just switched to D'Addario Chrome flatwounds (.013 to .056) from GHS precision flatwounds. I definitely made a good decision. The GHS strings are great strings and last quite well but they're a bit deader than the Chromes. The sustain is better balanced and longer. I was able to tweak out the perfect jazz sound for me. It sounded like melted chocolate, smooth and sweet.

User Info Menu

D'Addario CHROMES are the best strings I have come across so far. I'm not saying there aren't better strings, but they are far better than anything in my experience. I go from 12s to 13s and back again. But even the .11s sound good compared to the nickel wounds. I just recently realized this when my local store, the only one within 20 miles or so, ran out of Chromes and I got stuck with the flatwound nickels. It's just not the same. They don't even FEEL right anymore. The .12s are outstanding as far as I'm concerned, though a little bit challenging. The 13s I use occasionally just to exercise and then go back to the 12s.

User Info Menu

"Thomastik - Infelds flats, swing or George Bensons ...... outstanding strings as good as strings get and then some."

Yes, I've heard a lot about these. But I'm not about to get a hold of them easily where I am currently located. I will try asking if they can be specially shipped or something, though.

User Info Menu

My biggest problem is finding a store in my area that carries the right strings in the first place. I use .013's but usually the highest flatwounds I can find where I am are .011's. The one place I did find is out of them and hasn't ordered them yet. All the good music stores are geared to rock, metal and blues but not to jazz. Looks like I'll have to go online.

User Info Menu

You might find some info in this thread - https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...egathread.html