The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Y'day I paid a visit to my local luthier, Lem's Guitars of Seattle. Lem does a lot of restoration work for Joe V. of archtop.com

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice the D'Aquisto New Yorker on the wall. At first look, I thought, could that be...omg, it is!

It's in to get a complete rebinding and finish work. Lem says once the work is complete it will be valued in the $50k range....It was a joy to hold my first actual D'Aquisto. I'll return to play it when it's done. I handled my first '69 Super 400 while I was there as well....but it had a bigsby.

Lem has recently moved from Seattle to further north, and he's now less than a 10 minute drive from me. So, no more 2 hour plus drives round trip to a gifted luthier...I'm a happy camper.

I went in to speak with Lem about refinishing the lacquer on the Prima Vera. It's got a few lacquer checks going on, so I decided if I'm going to keep it I've got to know what it's going to cost me to have it refinished. The cost to redo the entire guitar is much less than I'd anticipated. And since reinventing archtop shades is one of Lem's forte's, if the PV remains I may change the shade...that's a no-no for some I know, but I'm considering the possibilities of a few unique Benedetto shades...I've just never been a natural finish guy.

Lem was very impressed with the build quality of the PV.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-13-2014 at 03:48 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really great shading on the New Yorker. How in the world did former owners mess up the binding on the headstock?

Refinish the Prima Vera? But wait. It's not like it's a historical artifact but refinishing? Certainly your prerogative and you are a thoughtful individual, but it just sounds.. I dunno.. just wrong. Where's the peer pressure button around here?

User Info Menu

Beautiful! My daughter will be interning in Seattle beginning in January, and when I go out to visit I'm going to have to pay Joe V a visit. We just don't get many jaw dropping high end archtops in these parts.

...it's your call, but the finish on that PV is gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Wow... by all means don't miss the opportunity to play it. It might change your life.

For us real D'Aquisto lovers, did you get the year and serial number?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Really great shading on the New Yorker. How in the world did former owners mess up the binding on the headstock?
    That's binding rot....not the fault of the owners .

Quote Originally Posted by kamlapati
    Wow... by all means don't miss the opportunity to play it. It might change your life.

For us real D'Aquisto lovers, did you get the year and serial number?
    No, it was taped over. At above $50k it won't be a life changer, but just the shame it was cool to experience the vibe being in the presence of an authentic guitar created by JD.

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    That's binding rot....not the fault of the owners .
    yep. Lem said the binding may have been from the same batch left over from that used on many D'A's, which some have begun breaking down after 20 years. Perhaps the binding reacted negatively to the particular lacquer used. I'll capture it again once the work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Certainly your prerogative and you are a thoughtful individual, but it just sounds.. I dunno.. just wrong. Where's the peer pressure button around here?
    yes, I fig'd that would get a rise out of some. But I'm not a natural fan, and after the luthier spent 30 mins inspecting the guitar inside and out, he was singing very high praises for the quality of the build. If it was a high dollar guitar, or one I'd not be keeping I'd never consider changing a shade.

But in spite of its build quality it doesn't hold a strong resale value. Its value is in its craftsmanship. And after the luthier began singing its praises pointing out one build quality after another I came away with a new found appreciation for the guitar.

So, I'm thinking if I keep it there's no justification for not creating a shade that's more pleasing to me. There's no workmanship risk involved, as I discovered this luthier after he'd changed a Triggs blue green 18" to a more traditional shade. One would have thought no way was that archtop previously blue.

User Info Menu

Super. I am so fortunate to have my DAquisto experience on a daily basis ;-)

Lemuels work can be great - too bad the guy is so introvert that Joe V is making most of the money on what he does, in stead of the man himself. Since his move; Lemuel doesnt even have a working website anymore. Is this a guitar in for repair, or is it to be sold at archtop dot com ?

I would not refinish a (unique) guitar because of checking but that is me. Blue would make me doubt. But I can live with blondes and brunettes equally well.

User Info Menu

I agree... I would never refinish a unique guitar, especially if I knew deep down (and c'mon, 2B, you do...) that I would eventually sell it. Besides, its particular natural finish (among ebony bits) is so well done and gorgeous that numerous folks here cooed about it when you first posted pics. And that's not a given - many NGD threads get a few polite "Congrats" but nothing more. This Napolitano elicited genuine praise for its visual beauty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    At above $50k it won't be a life changer, but just the shame it was cool to experience the vibe being in the presence of an authentic guitar created by JD.
    You don't need to buy for it to be a life changer, you just need to hear it. Then you will know what other guitars aspire too. I'm not exaggerating: the first time I played a D'Angelico and a D'Aquisto were just eye opening experiences.

And please, try to get the serial number for us fanatics.

User Info Menu

I probably bear some of the responsibility for Greg's contemplation of a complete refin and shading of that stunning Primavera. But, then again . . all I did was plant a seed. No one's gonna talk Greg into doing something he doesn't want to do.

Greg and I discussed this guitar quite a bit through private email exchanges. I expressed a concern over what I believe to be a genuine finish problem. It's very obvious by the near mint condition of this guitar, that the previous owner/owners took great precautions to care for it and keep it looking like new. So, I highly doubt that the finish checking, which I detected in various areas of the guitar and not just on the top . . were caused by careless exposures to extreme temperature swings. I just couldn't see that happening with this guitar. That tells me that more than likely the NCL formulation was faulty. If that's the case, then the finish checking will possibly worsen over time and is more susceptible to temperature swings than guitars with a better formulation of NCL. I mentioned that to Greg and also told him that a total refin wouldn't cost that much more than just doing the top.

Regarding the shading; I agree that the guitar is just stunning in its current natural wood beauty. But, I know that natural is not necessarily Greg's favorite color. So, I mentioned that here was an opportunity to accomplish both . . . correcting the finish checking and getting a sun burst shading of his choice. But, the thing I would be very cautious of, if shading this guitar . . is the contrast of the ebony tail piece. I think it needs to be a very light color shading. I originally thought OSB or tobacco sun burst might look good. But, that would necessitate a gold plated tail piece for a great color contrast. Can't and shouldn't do that with this guitar. The ebony TP on that guitar is "Napolitano" and lends to the visual personality of it. The visual impact would unfortunately be lost against a back ground of a dark shading.

I think this Napolitano would look great in the shading of the D'Aquisto shown in the OP . . or in a Benedetto violin shading. However, my own personal preference would be "Lady Rose". And . . the good Lord knows that Greg has ample photos of that (formerly his, now mine ) stunning SE . . that he could give them to Lem for reference.

Obviously, the other option would be to just keep it the way it is and hope the checking doesn't worsen. Also, I think that Roger makes a great point. Greg doesn't necessarily hold onto his guitars too long. Loves 'em and leaves 'em . . like a typical bachelor usually does with his ladies. Greg mentioned that the Napi's [unfairly] do not command a great resale value. If a refin on this guitar is in any way detectable . . . or God forbid poorly done . . . he ain't gonna be able to sell this guitar too easily. As Greg rightfully pointed out . . he should only have this done if he's planning on keeping it for a long time. And . . keeping this guitar in one's possession for a long period of time, is definitely not a torturous thought.

User Info Menu

I'm w/fws6 on this, don't do it!

you don't know how the refin would affect the sound either. just leave it as is, you'll be selling it soon anyway
    [ducks]

User Info Menu

Any bookmakers around here?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Any bookmakers around here?
    Vegas has it even money that it goes back . . . . and 20 to 1 that he keeps it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm w/fws6 on this, don't do it!

you don't know how the refin would affect the sound either. just leave it as is, you'll be selling it soon anyway
    [ducks]
    Re reselling, There can't be that many people with 50k lying around to buy a guitar can there?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Re reselling, There can't be that many people with 50k lying around to buy a guitar can there?
    Oh . . . there are plenty of people lying around with 50k to buy a D'Aquisto. But, the one shown in the OP will probably not bring 50k. People spending 50k and upward for a guitar, will usually do so for either of two reason, or, quite possible a combination of the two; A . . for investment purposes or B. . . . to gratify an ego driven indulgence . . But, even for a person of considerable wealth . . 50k is still 50k! They are thinking down the road for when they will eventually sell it off. Given the work that this guitar needs . . and even assuming that it will be flawlessly executed . . it's still gonna be a restored/repaired/un-original example. It's hard for me to imagine this D'Aq fetching 50k. Here's one in mint original condition offered at 50k. I would think an offer of 10% or 15% would be able to close the deal.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/daquisto-n...-1975-sunburst

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Lemuels work can be great - too bad the guy is so introvert that Joe V is making most of the money on what he does, in stead of the man himself. Since his move; Lemuel doesnt even have a working website anymore. Is this a guitar in for repair, or is it to be sold at archtop dot com?
    Yes, the D'A is one of JV's. You're on the other side of the world and you know Lem's work?

Lem's in the process of revamping his website. He has the same amount of work. Now he's on a fairly busy, well traveled, arterial less than a minute from interstate 5, a major highway connecting California to Canada, so he's now in a much better location...besides now being closer to me.

You're fortunate to experience so many finely made archtops from cherished builders.

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    I agree... I would never refinish a unique guitar, especially if I knew deep down (and c'mon, 2B, you do...) that I would eventually sell it. Besides, its particular natural finish (among ebony bits) is so well done and gorgeous that numerous folks here cooed about it when you first posted pics. And that's not a given - many NGD threads get a few polite "Congrats" but nothing more. This Napolitano elicited genuine praise for its visual beauty.
    Well, prior to our private conversation, the additional cost of lacquer repair to make the guitar perfect figured into my consideration of selling the PV.

But after having the guitar evaluated by a craftsman whose experienced many a high dollar build, up close and personal, I've reconsidered. Prior to the evaluation I'd no real idea about the guitar. Now my mind has been swayed. It would be silly to sell this guitar. No, it's no name brand, but there's something going on beneath the hood.

As to changing the shade, it's too early to consider that...I'm simply thinking out loud to the possibilities that exist in a few Benedetto shades that float my boat. But now I'm happy I mentioned it, as input is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    I probably bear some of the responsibility for Greg's contemplation of a complete refin and shading of that stunning Primavera. But, then again . . all I did was plant a seed. No one's gonna talk Greg into doing something he doesn't want to do.

But, the thing I would be very cautious of, if shading this guitar . . is the contrast of the ebony tail piece. I think it needs to be a very light color shading. I originally thought OSB or tobacco sun burst might look good. But, that would necessitate a gold plated tail piece for a great color contrast. Can't and shouldn't do that with this guitar. The ebony TP on that guitar is "Napolitano" and lends to the visual personality of it. The visual impact would unfortunately be lost against a back ground of a dark shading.

I think this Napolitano would look great in the shading of the D'Aquisto shown in the OP . . or in a Benedetto violin shading. However, my own personal preference would be "Lady Rose". And . . the good Lord knows that Greg has ample photos of that (formerly his, now mine ) stunning SE . . that he could give them to Lem for reference.
    Yes, my ebony tailpiece mod to the Super Kenny Burrell taught me that a darker sunburst and solid ebony appointments doesn't work as well as lighter shades...been there done that. I'd actually seen a lighter version of the Benedetto Opulent Brown, lighter than on your former Guild Benedetto, that I thought held possibilities.

There's so many shades...a guitar that's shaded is a real turn on to me....U've got that right!

I'd do it lighter than these two....the ebony features would pop equally as well as any natural finish....and the flame back and sides would pop even more.

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 12-02-2013 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Play her in good health, Greg. This may be the One which finally makes you step off the carousel.

A good guitar is a good guitar. Forget brand names and price tags.

You're in Washington State. Heard of Eric Sahlin?

User Info Menu

Damn Greg . . I've been avoiding photos of my (former) GB JS Award. I'm glad you posted them. I really do miss the tone of that guitar. The only archies that I've found to be in its league [for my tasets] are other Benedettos. D'As and D'Aqs are equally as wonderful . . . but, different. There was a magical warmth and richness about that guitar which needs to be experienced to be understood . . . sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Play her in good health, Greg. This may be the One which finally makes you step off the carousel.

A good guitar is a good guitar. Forget brand names and price tags.

You're in Washington State. Heard of Eric Sahlin?
    Thanks. Yes after after learning of the builds quality I'm thinking this may be the one to begin a foundation.

The thing that's bugged me more than the finish is the binding is more off white-yellow, like found on asian poly finished archtops like my Cremona. The luthier suggested the yellow binding could be a nitro reaction...but the guitars too young, in my mind, to be experiencing binding yellow.

Yes, I've heard of Eric's work on flattop and classical guitars...If he builds archtops I know nothing about them.

Oh . . . there are plenty of people lying around with 50k to buy a D'Aquisto. But, the one shown in the OP will probably not bring 50k. People spending 50k and upward for a guitar, will usually do so for either of two reason, or, quite possible a combination of the two; A . . for investment purposes or B. . . . to gratify an ego driven indulgence . . But, even for a person of considerable wealth . . 50k is still 50k! They are thinking down the road for when they will eventually sell it off. Given the work that this guitar needs . . and even assuming that it will be flawlessly executed . . it's still gonna be a restored/repaired/un-original example. It's hard for me to imagine this D'Aq fetching 50k. Here's one in mint original condition offered at 50k. I would think an offer of 10% or 15% would be able to close the deal.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/daquisto-n...-1975-sunburst
    That's actually the first archtop I've seen that more closely matches my vision for the PV...but a smidge lighter to reveal a maximum amount of wood grain.

Damn Greg . . I've been avoiding photos of my (former) GB JS Award. I'm glad you posted them. I really do miss the tone of that guitar. The only archies that I've found to be in its league [for my tasets] are other Benedettos. D'As and D'Aqs are equally as wonderful . . . but, different. There was a magical warmth and richness about that guitar which needs to be experienced to be understood . . . sigh
    That's one reason why I'm seriously considering a commitment to the PV. For all the reasons you mention....that, and I don't want to experience what must be an endless on going ache, for you.

Do the Vegas bookmakers know that he knows that this one can't be replaced?

User Info Menu

"Lemuels work can be great - too bad the guy is so introvert that Joe V is making most of the money on what he does, in stead of the man himself."

This comment is simply uninformed, and we can't let it stand without correction.

Just to set the record straight, there was *zero* markup by us on this work whatsoever. As in zilch, zip, nada, no dollars at all. Not only that, we advanced all the funds required for the job for over almost a year it took to get the job done; in effect an interest-free loan to the consigner of a considerable sum. So once again, it seems that no good deed goes unpunished.

If anyone has any questions on this, I invite them to check with us directly, and we'll be more than happy to answer any and all questions as always.

Best,

Joe Vinikow
    archtop.com
    Last edited by archtops; 05-12-2014 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    That's actually the first archtop I've seen that more closely matches my vision for the PV...but a smidge lighter to reveal a maximum amount of wood grain.

That's one reason why I'm seriously considering a commitment to the PV. For all the reasons you mention....that, and I don't want to experience what must be an endless on going ache, for you.

Do the Vegas bookmakers know that he knows that this one can't be replaced?

User Info Menu

I just bought Jimmy D’Aquisto’s 1056. (See Acquired of the Angels)
    No ego Patrick2....just music. Practice 4-5 hours everyday. I don’t gig because I don’t care about the ridiculously stupid audiences today... and sure don’t need to beg a bar manager for a $100 gig. You can see it at guitars n jazz in New Jersey. I’ve had it a week now so it may be taken down soon. Leo was great to work with. Real and honest.
    It’s a beauty. I’m blessed. Yes, they are expensive but worth every dollar. The tone is as rich as you can get and it is very easy to play difficult arrangements, runs, etc.
    Certainly there are rich jerks out there who horde these as commodities, but if you are determined as a musician...you can find them, beat them and prevail...
    just never give up!
    Last edited by Nighthawks; 06-17-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: More info

User Info Menu

Holy necro-threading, Batman!