Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

I wonder if they're like the JCT 117.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Same thing, just newer.

The first run of these was made in Korea, because the Chinese supplier wasn't quite set up for them.
    Subsequent production was all Chinese.

Here's a Chinese-production "HCT-J17" made sometime in the last 12 years. Ebay item #153993749143. Essentially the same as the current Bluto version, with the older pickup. No idea if it comes from the same Chinese contractor. Note the lame f-holes - these seemed to vary a bit over time, from decent Gibson-copy f-holes to Gumby f-holes.
    Also note the price, and the "make offer" option. This seller sells random junk and obviously knows nothing about guitars - someone will get a screaming deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images Not much love for Höfner Archtops?-screen-shot-2020-07-07-10-05-00-am-jpg 

User Info Menu

Here's an original "J-5" from Korea - I'm installing a Hofner OEM pickup for a customer to replace a generic Johnny Smith-style floater. These typically came in trans-red or "Cinnamon" (brownish-red). The wood bits are rosewood dyed to look like ebony.
    Attached Images Attached Images Not much love for Höfner Archtops?-hof-j5_8957-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-07-2020 at 11:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The folks over at Hofner sometimes forget to describe things the way they actually are because that would interrupt their beer-drinking and over-all rest/lunch/nap/surf-the-net schedules.
    Apparently, it stems from real-life experience. In 2017, I visited the Frankfurt Musikmesse together with my son, who was doing business with Höfner. At some point, the company rep looked at his watch and said: "Gosh, it's almost beer o'clock." Off we went to the nearest whetting-place.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 07-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Here's an original "J-5" from Korea - I'm installing a Hofner OEM pickup for a customer to replace a generic Johnny Smith-style floater. These typically came in trans-red or "Cinnamon" (brownish-red). The wood bits are rosewood dyed to look like ebony.
    that red one looks great, I had a verythin ct and was a great semi for the price. But I m not a semi hollow guy

Anyone know if these have a nitro finish?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTsundoku
    Anyone know if these have a nitro finish?
    If you are asking about the Chinese and Korean Hofner-branded archtops, they all have catalyzed poly finishes.

Plenty of German-built Hofner archtops also have catalyzed poly finishes, something Hofner started doing in the 1960s, unfortunately. Some have shellac finishes. Some have nitro-cellulose lacquer finishes. A handful even have wax finishes.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Someday I’m gonna get me one of these:

1960s Verithins are lovely guitars when properly set up and configured. I used to buy and sell them on a regular basis. They should be easy enough to find in Europe, and not particularly expensive. Here's my personal Verithin:
    Attached Images Attached Images Not much love for Höfner Archtops?-hof-verithin-66-sbc-jpg