The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What if any type of markers do you prefer?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • No markers, dots on side of neck

67 36.41%
  • Neo classic thumbnail

2 1.09%
  • Dots

23 12.50%
  • Sharkfin

1 0.54%
  • Block / Trapezoid

68 36.96%
  • Custom

6 3.26%
  • Don't care, or never look at them

17 9.24%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Markers are important to me for quick [instantaneous] decision making.

I must have them on any guitar I play, although there are some classical guitar
    people I know that treat the use of side dots as some kind of weakness.

Screw them, I improvise as well as play CG repertoire and the folks who play primarily standard rep
    don't know first hand about the nature of demands made on an improvisor.

Then there's the question of dots/inlays, on the fingerboard itself.....for those that teach particularly on screens, I feel they
    are selling their students short if the actual positions being played are not clearly visible.

There are some well known, and very good, instructors who use their dot/inlay free guitars on screen and it
    bugs the hell outa me ....when they charge good money for their lessons.
    Are they trying to conceal something...or have they forgotten what it's like to be a student looking on?

After all, teach has his dots on the side of the neck....is there some subtle oneupmanship happening here? He's cool .....so can't
    you keep up?

I feel pretty strongly about this as you may have noticed.....how many piano tutorials have you seen where the keyboard is
    not in clear view?
    ....and the keyboard is inherently color-coded .....unlike our instrument that is just a beast to navigate.

OK....now I feel better.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fret markers-jason-becker-numeral-fret-marker-stickers-png

User Info Menu

Any guitar without markers on the fretboard is a guaranteed disaster for me when playing live. Not in a major way, but I'll usually miss a note or two maybe once per gig because of it (which is majorly embarrassing.. ).

I can play without looking, often do in reading gigs, but having used mostly fenders and gibsons for years has conditioned me to look on the fretboard for quick position reference unfortunately. I should get around to changing that but playing all different sorts of guitars doesn't help. I even have guitars without any kind of markings, where I draw them myself on the side of the neck.

Gibson style inlays are my favorite to look at and to use, except on fender style guitars of course where it's dots.

User Info Menu

Ideally each fretboard position would have a marker on a central hinge; then you could turn them around at will. Good for capo users. And for vindictive bandmembers who can then change the marker sequence to a mean message in Morse code to the guitarist and make him flub solos.

User Info Menu

The only style where any kind of fret markets definitely doesn't work is flamenco, because so much of it is open position playing using a capo on different frets all the time..

User Info Menu

Fret markers-2-25-006-1024x768-jpg

One from 1937, one from 2020.........Do they still look good ?

I'd say so ! mho, of course...........

User Info Menu

For me I like markers. Now my personal taste is Fenders need to have dot markers. Gibsons need to have block or trapezoid markers. For whatever reason I think Fenders’ look weird with blocks and Gibsons look weird with dots.

User Info Menu

On a dark stage, side markers don't help so much. I appreciate the blocks, there. I imagine that guitarists who sing must depend on them most of all. Or if you have to vamp for the talent who are making an entrance/encore on a darkened stage.

The idea is an old one. Ancient guitars display some remarkable inlay work on their fingerboards.

I have an ES-135 with dots on rosewood. I always felt it should have blocks, like in 1956, but it has some character by looking sparse. Mind you, the luthier at Twelfth Fret in Toronto had to smooth down the fret wire ends. Gibson forgets about stuff like that, now. Perhaps they went cheap on the markers.

:: ::
    :: ::
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 02-28-2020 at 05:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Regular black dots on maple fingerboard.
    I just wish that dots were tiny tiny bit more bigger.
    But I love black dots on "white-ish" maple fingerboard.
    Just tiny tiny bit more bigger.

User Info Menu

I was a guitar major in university. Classical guitar no fret markers. No side markers. You learn very fast where each note is.