View Poll Results: What if any type of markers do you prefer?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • No markers, dots on side of neck

65 36.31%
  • Neo classic thumbnail

2 1.12%
  • Dots

23 12.85%
  • Sharkfin

1 0.56%
  • Block / Trapezoid

66 36.87%
  • Custom

5 2.79%
  • Don't care, or never look at them

17 9.50%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 51 to 90 of 90

User Info Menu

Thats why Danny Gatton had put zirconia side dots as they would show up better under stage lights

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

if I had a guitar built I'd have mop stars

like a gibson everly bros .... noish
    Last edited by pingu; 10-20-2013 at 03:55 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

jimmy D and Sadowsky got it right. Completely not needed and makes us look like illiterate tab 'tards who can't "read the dots" so they "look for the dots".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    jimmy D and Sadowsky got it right. Completely not needed and makes us look like illiterate tab 'tards who can't "read the dots" so they "look for the dots".
    Seriously? Did you not bother to read the thread?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    I'm liking it mainly because it looks like something that Japanese girl would play.

User Info Menu

Cool BD....Designed for "tards only.....

User Info Menu

I need fret markers for sure, i think guitar is a very visual instrument anyway.

Even though it would not be a decision factor as opposed to the feel of the neck, i think block inlays look cool.
    Well, until recently ... I always thought myself as a "gibson guy" until recently, i just got a strat and a tele and i realize that dots cause much less eye fatigue on the long term.
    And now i almost tend to think that blocks are a bit too much aesthetically ..

Any one coming to the same conclusions regarding eye fatigue ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    I need fret markers for sure, i think guitar is a very visual instrument anyway.

Even though it would not be a decision factor as opposed to the feel of the neck, i think block inlays look cool.
    Well, until recently ... I always thought myself as a "gibson guy" until recently, i just got a strat and a tele and i realize that dots cause much less eye fatigue on the long term.
    And now i almost tend to think that blocks are a bit too much aesthetically ..

Any one coming to the same conclusions regarding eye fatigue ?
    Yes, and here's a recipe for no fatigue:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Yes, and here's a recipe for no fatigue:
    Yes ... no, thank you ! ^ ^

Same eye fatigue for the opposite reason, no markers mean i end up cross-eyed.

Well, of course this is just a detail, i'd be very happy with your guitar ! ^ ^

Thanks

User Info Menu

Definitely like side dots. Fretboard markers...If I was having a guitar made, I'd go none, but I don't object to them.

I really like the markers on my taylor 414ce...swell from small dots with a thin outline to an oval in the higher frets...very classy.

User Info Menu

went to check the 414 ... indeed, original yet simple ... nice design.

User Info Menu

There's dots and there's dots...

User Info Menu

" 'twas a brave man who first ate an oyster "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Here's a photo of me with my L5CES. I see the entire fret board quite easily.

All I got to say on this subject is...the only thing better than a photo of a man's bathroom full of archtops in his stable, is a photo of that man playing an archtop in the midst of his stable!

User Info Menu

I just love that L5CES!!

It's kinda like I was sitting with God one evening after a wonderful Italian dinner where we shared a couple bottles of Bertani Amarone . . then, we were enjoying a nice Remy XO and a Cohiba Esplendido . . and as we started getting to feeling *nice* . . . God took a long drag on his Cohiba . . looked at me and said . . "My son . . this is a wonderful evening you've shared with me. What can I do for you in return?". So, as I sat there pondering his question and generous offer . . I furled my brow and replied . . . "Well God . . you've blessed me and my family with good health . . . you've helped me along the way in acquiring the skills and ability to provide for them. So then, the only thing I can think of now . . would be for me to just happen across the perfect guitar to my own personal taste. As he sat there, thinking about my request, he said to me . . "Damn . . that's gonna be a tough one. I've tried repeatedly to talk John D'Angelico and Jimmy D'Aquisto into letting me put them back into their former lives on this planet . . but, they each looked around heaven and said to me . . *not a chance* . . so, let me think about this one for a while"

With that, he just got up, said good night and started walking away . . then, he just disappeared!! (But, I'll be damned if he didn't look strikingly like Morgan Freeman all dressed up in a white suit)

The next day, I awakened . . surprisingly without a head ache . . (thanks for that Morgan). For some strange reason . . I felt this need to take a drive into Philly and visit with Benny Cintioli at Cintioli's Music Shop. When I walked into the shop . . Benny was giving hell to one of his employees. I said . . "hey, Benny.. calm down. What's the problem? He said to me that he never ordered this guitar . . . that was just delivered to his store and he was sure that one of his guys ordered it without his authorization. . but, they all denied having anything to do with it. He then shouted out a couple of expletives in Italian . . turned to me and said . . "so then, if no body ordered it how the hell did it get here?? What am I supposed to belive . . that God sent it in here???" I though for a minute and said . . "Hey . . open that box. Let me see what's inside that guitar case". As I sat there playing the guitar with a broad grin on my face . . and Benny was writing me a receipt for the sale . . he said to me . . "wow, that guitar sounds like heaven." I just smiled and said . . . "My friend . . you have no idea".

Dman . . . I think I'm gonna start writing books . . become a novelist . . fictional of course.

User Info Menu

To see, I prefer with no markers.
    But to play, I would like to have something like that :
    Fret markers-gibson_l-7_1936-c-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Fret markers-13439gibsonguitarfretboardlg-jpg 

User Info Menu

Everyone has their own thing. I prefer markers on fingerboards, it helps me SEE where I am playing. The last couple years Eastman guitars got me liking the plainer look. But I still need some help. I'm legally blind from open field glaucoma. I got an Eastman John Pisano and the first thing I really liked about it was it had really large side markers. Not like anything you ever saw on a guitar, not little dots but big markers. The 12th position is a loscenge shape. Pisano has vision issues too, since he was making it for HIM he had that done. Love it, plain look on the top, big markers on the side.
    Gretsch wouldn't be Gretsch without the neo classic thumbprints. Rickenbacker wouldn't be it without the Sharkfins. Gibson wouldn't be Gibson without the Trapeziods or Blocks or Parallelograms those models are famous for. Really...

And to use the "Tard" term is class less... sorry but that's crude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Everyone has their own thing. I prefer markers on fingerboards, it helps me SEE where I am playing. The last couple years Eastman guitars got me liking the plainer look. But I still need some help. I'm legally blind from open field glaucoma. I got an Eastman John Pisano and the first thing I really liked about it was it had really large side markers. Not like anything you ever saw on a guitar, not little dots but big markers. The 12th position is a loscenge shape. Pisano has vision issues too, since he was making it for HIM he had that done. Love it, plain look on the top, big markers on the side.
    Totally agree. IMO, they're a great design alternative between having nothing on the fingerboard—along with the traditional 'tiny' dots—to actually having something which you can hopefully see in nearly any lighting situation. Plus I happen to think they look really cool, too. (I also happen to like a 'bare' fingerboard to begin with.)

This isn't the best photo (surprisingly this is about the best I could come up with via online sources), but you can just about see the longish side marker here that Mike's describing at the first fret.

Fret markers-eastman-pisano-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

I use them for a reference point, like others have pointed out....I wouldn't want a guitar without at least the dots, don't like the plain look and why not have dots....at least....I think I would have problems with a real classical guitar these days, I would go with a hybrid....maybe a godin.....

User Info Menu

hate playing guitars without markers.

User Info Menu

I want skulls and bones for my markers. L5 would be good.

User Info Menu

Who keeps digging up polls from 5-10 years ago?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I want skulls and bones for my markers. L5 would be good.
    What about bats?

User Info Menu

None on most things but black dots on maple Tele fingerboards......just wish they were a little smaller.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I give a tip of the hat to anyone who does something different with the markers. We all know who did this:

I really liked the look of that guitar. I did those markers because they help with Lenny Breau-style harmonics. I have them on my personal guitar as well.

User Info Menu

My marker preference has been strongly conditioned by my first Gibson, a '69 Les Paul Custom. Those bodacious blocks fitted to that ebony board looked sharp and certainly helped bass players follow my (abrupt, and frequently inadvertent) key changes. My subsequent ES-345 upped the ante with the spiffy split parallelograms that also grace my ES-175. In fact the abalone inverted triangles set in pearl blocks on my MIK Epiphone Emperor Regent are not to be sneezed at or on (and can be wiped clean in a jiffy, if need be ).

But for sheer metaphorical and artistic beauty the abalone birds on my PRS Custom 24s take the cake and frost it. Yummy!

All that said, dots are groovy.

User Info Menu

Markers are important to me for quick [instantaneous] decision making.

I must have them on any guitar I play, although there are some classical guitar
    people I know that treat the use of side dots as some kind of weakness.

Screw them, I improvise as well as play CG repertoire and the folks who play primarily standard rep
    don't know first hand about the nature of demands made on an improvisor.

Then there's the question of dots/inlays, on the fingerboard itself.....for those that teach particularly on screens, I feel they
    are selling their students short if the actual positions being played are not clearly visible.

There are some well known, and very good, instructors who use their dot/inlay free guitars on screen and it
    bugs the hell outa me ....when they charge good money for their lessons.
    Are they trying to conceal something...or have they forgotten what it's like to be a student looking on?

After all, teach has his dots on the side of the neck....is there some subtle oneupmanship happening here? He's cool .....so can't
    you keep up?

I feel pretty strongly about this as you may have noticed.....how many piano tutorials have you seen where the keyboard is
    not in clear view?
    ....and the keyboard is inherently color-coded .....unlike our instrument that is just a beast to navigate.

OK....now I feel better.

User Info Menu

I vote L7 picture frames too ....

ps why do people do teaching vids
    on a guitar without markers
    thats just obtuse

(ooops you just said that Moonray)
    Last edited by pingu; 09-07-2019 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    ps why do people do teaching vids
    on a guitar without markers
    thats just obtuse
    Because that's what they own?

User Info Menu

Fret markers-jason-becker-numeral-fret-marker-stickers-png

User Info Menu

Any guitar without markers on the fretboard is a guaranteed disaster for me when playing live. Not in a major way, but I'll usually miss a note or two maybe once per gig because of it (which is majorly embarrassing.. ).

I can play without looking, often do in reading gigs, but having used mostly fenders and gibsons for years has conditioned me to look on the fretboard for quick position reference unfortunately. I should get around to changing that but playing all different sorts of guitars doesn't help. I even have guitars without any kind of markings, where I draw them myself on the side of the neck.

Gibson style inlays are my favorite to look at and to use, except on fender style guitars of course where it's dots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Because that's what they own?
    thats a fair point Jim

however I think anyone who wants to teach guitar teacher
    would be much more effective with markers

User Info Menu

Ideally each fretboard position would have a marker on a central hinge; then you could turn them around at will. Good for capo users. And for vindictive bandmembers who can then change the marker sequence to a mean message in Morse code to the guitarist and make him flub solos.

User Info Menu

The only style where any kind of fret markets definitely doesn't work is flamenco, because so much of it is open position playing using a capo on different frets all the time..

User Info Menu

Fret markers-2-25-006-1024x768-jpg

One from 1937, one from 2020.........Do they still look good ?

I'd say so ! mho, of course...........

User Info Menu

For me I like markers. Now my personal taste is Fenders need to have dot markers. Gibsons need to have block or trapezoid markers. For whatever reason I think Fenders’ look weird with blocks and Gibsons look weird with dots.

User Info Menu

On a dark stage, side markers don't help so much. I appreciate the blocks, there. I imagine that guitarists who sing must depend on them most of all. Or if you have to vamp for the talent who are making an entrance/encore on a darkened stage.

The idea is an old one. Ancient guitars display some remarkable inlay work on their fingerboards.

I have an ES-135 with dots on rosewood. I always felt it should have blocks, like in 1956, but it has some character by looking sparse. Mind you, the luthier at Twelfth Fret in Toronto had to smooth down the fret wire ends. Gibson forgets about stuff like that, now. Perhaps they went cheap on the markers.

:: ::
    :: ::
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 02-28-2020 at 05:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Regular black dots on maple fingerboard.
    I just wish that dots were tiny tiny bit more bigger.
    But I love black dots on "white-ish" maple fingerboard.
    Just tiny tiny bit more bigger.

User Info Menu

I was a guitar major in university. Classical guitar no fret markers. No side markers. You learn very fast where each note is.