The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Sorry, I should have said thanks for mentioning them. Thanks! I was a bit sleepy this morning. I have a great UK neck pickup by The Creamery on my Tele, which I absolutely love and recommend.
    Oh yes... I can see you recommend it, but which model did you choose?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hard to tell for sure from the two different picture angles, but it appears that the PM2's neck is set at a deeper angle than the PM200's. Yes? No?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Oh yes... I can see you recommend it, but which model did you choose?
    The Fat Tele - and I highly recommend it. I've had a Bare Knuckle before, and rate the Creamery as highly. I just wanted to try something different this time round.

User Info Menu

Yes, they are. See above thread links.
    Thanks, I was not paying attention and thought you were saying that Super 58 pups were no longer available, but you were talking about the Silent 58s -- unless the Silent 58 and Super 58 are the same thing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brashboy
    -- unless the Silent 58 and Super 58 are the same thing...
    I don't think so. They are mentioned on the Ibanez website so they should be different.

User Info Menu

FWIW, both of my ES-175's lack finish under the finderboard extension.

I believe that's what gives them their classic tone !

User Info Menu

Yes, when playing the PM2 the neck angle seemed more inclined. However, both models felt comfortable and natural when playing.

User Info Menu

Yes, the lack of finish seems to be somewhat the norm on some models. The salesman showed me some Gibsons that were similar.

User Info Menu

I recently bought a PM2 which I've pretty much fallen in love with. As is usual, some work needed doing on the nut to get the string heights right but this is a lovely instrument. I borrowed a PM200 a while ago and the main differences to my recollection is there is less tonal range on the PM200 pot which is probably a good thing because the PM2 tone control is a tad too aggressive. However, this is a simple capacitor change. Anyone know what the PM200 uses ?
    If I remember right, the PM200 neck angle was a little greater so there was probably more bridge tension offering slightly improved dynamic playing response. The PM200 has a higher output level but this doesn't matter much to me as I use a VG99 as my weapon of choice, so with all the delays nicely dialled in, Pat sounded like Pat after loosing his mind to a lesser entity.
    On another note, how the hell do Ibanez produce such a good guitar for the money ? Even the AS93 is an excellent semi and even better with a GK-3 but I digress.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gfisch
    Rob,
    The neck on mine is a straight ramp. Perhaps the curve on yours allowed them to get the finish under more of it.
    I went back to the store just now and the pm2 they have looks just like yours. Tomorrow, they will call Ibanez to see if that's normal for the 200.
    Greg
    Found this old thread about the PM200. Did you get any response form Ibanez? Mine has a similar finish issue, in fact, there is hole on the body right under the end of the fretboard. Does not look great so I wonder why they do that. Thanks for any reply. /C

User Info Menu

Great review, thanks!

User Info Menu

please let me know how you like it
    I tried a fralin p92 in a comins gcs-1 and it was ok but not amazing
    that z90 has me very interested

User Info Menu

While the PM200 looks a little better in color and classier with the Ebony tailpiece, (to me) it's not worth the almost $2,000 more. I've played both side by side, since a friend of mine has the PM200 and I have the PM2. I've replaced the pickup on mine with a newer Ibanez Super 58 Silent pickup (same as the PM200) and the tone comes very close to the PM200, although not as woody. This change only cost me $150. Certainly not a $2000 difference, at least to me. The PM200 is a beautiful instrument!

Cheers,
    Arnie...

User Info Menu

Good idea! I have a PM-35, now discontinued (I think replaced by the PM2). I read in the specifications for the guitar that it came with a Super 58 pickup. I wonder, is this the same as a Super 58 Silent pickup, as in the PM200?

Specifications for PM-35 here:
    Ibanez PM35-NT (Natural)

User Info Menu

Have to say for the price, the PM2 is a solid choice.

I am most impressed with the quality and how easy it is to play.

I am using the nylon wraps which makes the play-ability even smoother.