The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

I have a sheraton and a gibson les paul now I am looking in to getting myfirst hollow body guitar. I have considered and eppiphone Joe pass for about 550 to 600 or a eastman ar371. which one would you guys suggest? I have read tons of great stuff on the eastman but I wont be able to try an eastman No one near me has one. However I have picked u a joe pass and like it. What do you suggest?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Either you love Epis or you hate them. I love them.. for the price. But if I had to choose between the two I would take the Eastman. Completely different class ... the Epi feels like a nice 1000$ guitar.. the Eastman feels like a nice 1600$ guitar..
    The JP got its reputation for being a great guitar back when there were far fewer choices on the market.

User Info Menu

I'd go Joe Pass...I'll be the voice of dissent, as Eastman is well liked around here... Full transparency, I played ONE 371...it was awful. Had every trapping of a cheap guitar...buzzes, sharp fret ends, shit tuners, weak pickup...terrible guitar...I've played other eastman's and thought they were really nice...this one, at Chicago's "different strummer" (if its still there and any locals don't believe me) was a nasty guitar...I've played a few JP's over the years and thought they were decent, solid instruments.

My advice would really be to save up another $400 a d get a Godin Composer or a Peerless JazzCity.

User Info Menu

Haven't played that Eastman so I can't say. JP's are nice but not my thing either. If you can play one try an Artcore AF105 or a Hagstrom. All in the same price range and that will help you decide if the Joe Pass is what you want. Happy hunting.

User Info Menu

Eastman by far. It seriously sounds like a $1500+ guitar. I own the AR 372 and sold my epiphone shortly after getting it.

-Zane

User Info Menu

Either is OK but play the actual guitar you're buying (they're all individuals)

And budget in a good setup with some fatter strings than you'd typically use on a solid guit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'd go Joe Pass...I'll be the voice of dissent, as Eastman is well liked around here... Full transparency, I played ONE 371...it was awful. Had every trapping of a cheap guitar...buzzes, sharp fret ends, shit tuners, weak pickup...terrible guitar...I've played other eastman's and thought they were really nice...this one, at Chicago's "different strummer" (if its still there and any locals don't believe me) was a nasty guitar...I've played a few JP's over the years and thought they were decent, solid instruments.

My advice would really be to save up another $400 a d get a Godin Composer or a Peerless JazzCity.
    Thats interesting . your comment has got 3 'likes' as well

Haven't heard any negs on the Eastman '175' before

I guess its QC issues

Shows again that you must play the actual Guitar that you're thinking of buying

User Info Menu

And again, I've only seen ONE of these Eastmans, and I've played other Eastman's that I thought were excellent.

User Info Menu

I've played a Joe Pass and I thought it was pretty dull and lifeless. But as Jeff says, that's one guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Conman
    I have a sheraton and a gibson les paul now I am looking in to getting myfirst hollow body guitar. I have considered and eppiphone Joe pass for about 550 to 600
    Sorry if this turns out a double reply I tried to post and there was an error... Anyway, I have an earlier "Emperor" (Samick made) identical to a JP made in 1987, and an 05 JP made in Unsung that are exceptionally well done. Nice three piece maple necks (not kerf jointed) low action, and excellent acoustic properties.

User Info Menu

My JP is my go-to jazz guitar...

I upgraded the pickups and tuners, otherwise it's a wonderfully playing guitar with a great neck.

I got mine (Samick 1999) on eBay for $400 - great deal! One thing to think about is that if you buy a JP for a decent price you can probably sell it easily for what you paid for it if you want to sell it for some reason. I've heard a lot of good things about Eastman's - none for sale in my area though - but I don't know there would be the market for them used.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Agate; 11-11-2013 at 01:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I've played a Joe Pass and I thought it was pretty dull and lifeless. But as Jeff says, that's one guitar.
    Yes, I had the exact same impression when trying one, very disappointing. I liked the Ibanez PM something I've tried this day also way better than the EJP. Epiphone is a brand I disregard since then. Doctor Jeff's box looks very cool though.

User Info Menu

OP-- do you have a nut width preference? Eastman nut widths are 1 3/4.
    Epi JP nut width is 1 11/16

I've played both and both are nice. I really enjoyed the JP. I tend to like narrower nut width.

You'll likely be happy with either one.

User Info Menu

Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Quote Originally Posted by Aant
    Yes, I had the exact same impression when trying one, very disappointing. I liked the Ibanez PM something I've tried this day also way better than the EJP. Epiphone is a brand I disregard since then.....
    My exact impressions, too. A local store has had three different Epi archtops—JP model included—hanging for quite some months now (inc a MIC Zephyr), and I keep trying them out, wanting to like one (esp. that Zephyr). Nope. Pretty dead, thick tone and feel. Kinda sad, in fact. Pretty, though.

OTOH, I tried out a just-in AR371 against a new Gibson ES175 yesterday (different store), and it wasn't even nearly a fair fight. The Eastman killed the Gibson unplugged, both tonally and playability. I happen to like the stock 371 pickup enough, but, of course, that can always be easily upgraded.

Talking about the Ibanez PM__, I lucked into a mint PM35 a couple of months ago (came upgraded with a great Hamonic Design PAF), and that also kills any ES175 I've ever tried. It's all I've been playing lately. OMG.

User Info Menu

Went to a local guitar center and tried a joe pass. Really liked it. I have made up my mind yet but I am leaning to the joe pass
    I prefere the blond natural look
    I don't want to buy something I haven't been able to get my hands on.
    I think I would be happy with the JP.

User Info Menu

Went to a local guitar center and tried a joe pass. Really liked it. I have made up my mind yet but I am leaning to the joe pass I prefere the blond natural look I don't want to buy something I haven't been able to get my hands on. I think I would be happy with the JP.
    Trying one would be a real good idea, I tried one that sucked. I was glad I had two already :-)

User Info Menu

I don't want to buy something I haven't been able to get my hands on.
    Hands on is always a great idea, and I'm sure there's some great JPs out there to be found.

User Info Menu

I've only played two JPs, and I did not like either of them, they both sounded dead to me. I received my Eastman online and it's a gem of a guitar. That being said, if I went into a shop and the JP played great, no question I would buy it over something I couldn't try before laying down the cash. But, if I couldn't try either the Eastman or Epiphone in person, I would go with the Eastman.

User Info Menu

What Jim says. If you play a guitar you love, then go with that guitar. But if buying without the benefit of trying, go with the Eastman - particularly one from Bernunzio where they actually check the guitars out and make them the best they can be before they sell them.

Bob

User Info Menu

I recently went into a local store thinking that I was gonna walk out with a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, but got side tracked by the Epi Joe Pass and walked out with an Ibanez AFJ91. I don't know what the hell happened... it all happened so fast!

(BTW, no regrets.)

User Info Menu

Mind the nut width, like Steve Z said. If you're used to your Sheraton and Les Paul, the Eastman will probably feel very different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    I recently went into a local store thinking that I was gonna walk out with a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, but got side tracked by the Epi Joe Pass and walked out with an Ibanez AFJ91. I don't know what the hell happened... it all happened so fast! (BTW, no regrets.)
    Ha. I know what happened...
    That AFJ91 is a great guitar. Played one a few months ago and loved it. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Pulled the trigger on the joe pass today after trying it again and got a 109 dollar case half off very happy with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    I recently went into a local store thinking that I was gonna walk out with a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, but got side tracked by the Epi Joe Pass and walked out with an Ibanez AFJ91. I don't know what the hell happened... it all happened so fast!

(BTW, no regrets.)
    Same here. I went to check out a Godin Kingpin and walked out with an Ibanez AFJ81. I think the flat wounds had something to do with it.